Escape Artists
August 19, 2017, 01:25:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Semifinals of the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest are wrapping up. Final starts August 24th

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pseudopod 433: 20 Simple Steps To Ventriloquism  (Read 9842 times)
Ryan H
Peltast

RonlyBonlyJones

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »

Not much to add except my mind has returned time and again to the repeated phrasing in this story, and the way that it's used innocuously (or even nonsensically) at first only to become horrific later, i.e.: the rummy dummy, the sound of a plane. Excellent.

Congrats on the book (and the Thomas Ligotti intro!!!!), I'll be picking up a copy.
ciristhan
Extern

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 05:56:54 PM »

This is the most unsettling story I have had the privilege of listening to in a very, very long time. Eagerly awaiting Jon Padgett's book!
katcopter
Extern

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2015, 12:01:55 AM »

Congratulations Jon!

And this story was the reason I created my forum account. I've commented elsewhere first, but I noticed that the author/reader commented here before I did, and I became intimidated (Eep!)

However, it would be a shame if I didn't say  how much I absolutely LOVE this podcast. This has got to be my favorite Pseudopod ep of 2015, very possibly of all time, and I've listened to all of them, even the late and great Eugie Foster's. I love her work, but what the author/reader has created here is a bonafied miracle of story+narration synergy. The story is FANTASTIC, very slowly edging into creepy and finally bursting into it full-force, and it's made even more terrifying by the masterful narration. I can't say enough good things about this story. I have listened to it, by my ipod's count, 53 times so far. When I can't sleep, I listen to this podcast. That means I'm usually awake for another 40  minutes, but after it's over, I sleep like the dead. The story is perfect, and I can easily believe that the author has taken so  many years to get it to this point. I wouldn't change a single word. Or a single nuance of the reading. Beautifully done in every aspect.

I want the author to know that I am incomparably moved. I've read King since I was 10, Straub since I was 12, everyone else starting at 14, and never have I found a piece that resonates so strongly with me. This is amazing work, and it deserves every piece of good reviews that it's gotten from any source. I really hope you're proud of it, because you deserve to be Smiley

/gushing
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:17:58 AM by katcopter » Logged
Jon Padgett
Palmer

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2016, 12:46:01 PM »

I wanted to keep you all in the loop about my short story collection, The Secret of Ventriloquism, which at long last will be released next month.  "20 Simple Steps" is, of course, included and acts sort of as the hub that the rest of the pieces revolve around.

The cover art by Dave Felton was just completed (with typesetting and layout by Anna Trueman):

Lastly, I wanted to thank Pseudopod and you listeners for your encouragement, kind words and constructive feedback since Episode 433 was released.  The collection very well may not have happened without you.
kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
Hipparch

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »

The cover art is fabulous!

dagny
Hipparch

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2016, 06:08:31 AM »

I wanted to keep you all in the loop about my short story collection, The Secret of Ventriloquism, which at long last will be released next month.  "20 Simple Steps" is, of course, included and acts sort of as the hub that the rest of the pieces revolve around.

The cover art by Dave Felton was just completed (with typesetting and layout by Anna Trueman):

Lastly, I wanted to thank Pseudopod and you listeners for your encouragement, kind words and constructive feedback since Episode 433 was released.  The collection very well may not have happened without you.

Yay!

The cover art is fabulous!

If by "fabulous" you mean "will haunt me in my sleep," I feel the same way! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:06:27 AM by dagny » Logged

"Wolfman's got nards!"
Jon Padgett
Palmer

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2016, 02:52:54 PM »

"Padgett... proves with his stunning  debut collection [to be] a worthy successor to the master [Thomas  Ligotti]. There's no gristle, no bone, no dilly-dallying here: only pure  meat whose terrors seamlessly grow into the metaphysical... this volume  is jam-packed with the stuff that nightmares are made of."
- Dejan  Ognjanovic, Rue Morgue Magazine

"...a voice that lodges in the reader’s mind with colossal force and intensity, marking... this book as unforgettable."
 - Matt Cardin, from the Introduction

"The Secret of Ventriloquism is horror with a capital H. Some of  Padgett's lines raised the hair on my neck."  
-Laird Barron, author of  Swift to Chase

Limited Edition Hardcover
150 copies
Cover and interior art by Dave Felton

With themes reminiscent of Shirley Jackson, Thomas Ligotti, and Bruno  Shulz, but with a strikingly unique vision, Jon Padgett's The Secret of  Ventriloquism heralds the arrival of a significant new literary talent.  Padgett’s work explores the mystery of human suffering, the agony of  personal existence, and the ghastly means by which someone might achieve  salvation from both. A bullied child who seeks vengeance within a bed’s  hollow box spring; a lucid dreamer haunted by an impossible house; a  dummy that reveals its own anatomy in 20 simple steps; a stuttering  librarian who holds the key to a mill town's unspeakable secrets; a  commuter whose worldview is shattered by two words printed on a  cardboard sign; an aspiring ventriloquist who spends a little too much  time looking at himself in a mirror.  And the presence that speaks  through them all.

Contents:
Introduction by Matt Cardin
The Mindfulness of Horror Practice
Murmurs of a Voice Foreknown
The Indoor Swamp
Origami Dreams
20 Simple Steps to Ventriloquism
Infusorium
Organ Void
The Secret of Ventriloquism

Ships in October.

Click here to Pre-Order.

Only 67 of 150 copies are available as of this post.

Thanks, everyone!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:08:54 PM by kibitzer » Logged
dagny
Hipparch

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2016, 05:51:09 PM »

This is still the only Pseudopod story my husband, an avid horror fan (and not in any way a scaredy-cat), has ever told me to turn off because it was scaring him too badly. Smiley

"Wolfman's got nards!"
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2016, 10:55:20 PM »

totally pre-ordered Smiley

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
davidthygod
Peltast

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2016, 10:43:10 AM »

I am really happy to see this story still drawing interest.  I judge stories in a large way by how they stick with you after reading, and I still remember this one vividly months later.  Great storytelling, great narration, weird and unsettling premise.  This is good horror.

The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad.
South of No North
Matross

Oneironaut and Alchymist

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2016, 09:04:48 PM »

Been keeping my EYE out for this coming out for a while.

After seeing that cover no more delay could be allowed.

Pre-order placed. Now I watch the mail.

Congratulations Jon, I am looking forward to reading more of your creepy tales, and at my finger tips at any time of night!

"Yes, of course I can blame you. Without them, where would all of us outlaws be? What would we have? Only a lawless paradise...and paradise is a bore. Violence without violation is only noise heard by no one, the most horrendous sound in the universe." --The Chymist by Thomas Ligotti
JessyHere
Extern

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »

I just want to say, out of all the Pseudopod episodes I have listened to this one has stuck with me the longest.  When I first listened to it, I made all my friends listen too.  We still talk about it to this day.  This one is my favorite episode.  Bravo, Pseudopod and Jon Padgett, for haunting my nightmares for over a year!
Jon Padgett
Palmer

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2017, 02:58:59 PM »

Thanks again for all the wonderful commentary and kind words.

Just an update:

As of today, my book has become available in audio format via Audible, Amazon and iTunes.

The collection is also available in trade paperback and Kindle editions.

The Secret of Ventriloquism was selected last week as the Best Fiction Book of 2016 by Rue Morgue Magazine and is the winner of the 2016 Golden Ghoul Award for Fiction (Foreign).

The book has also gotten quite a number of reviews, all of them (thus far) favorable ones. Here are some highlights:

"The Secret of Ventriloquism is horror with a capital H. Some of Padgett's lines raised the hair on my neck."
--Laird Barron, author of Swift to Chase

"Padgett proves with his stunning debut collection to be a worthy successor to Thomas Ligotti. There's no gristle, no bone, no dilly-dallying here: only pure meat whose terrors seamlessly grow into the metaphysical. This volume is jam-packed with the stuff that nightmares are made of."
--Dejan Ognjanovic, Rue Morgue Magazine

"...Greater Ventriloquism is the fictional philosophy cutting through all of the stories in this collection, giving them a much appreciated spine of intent and eerie energy. When we understand that we are no better than dummies--when we see the strings that move us and hear the voice that animates us--we become the uncanny object, as opposed to the dummy. Our own embodiment thus becomes a vessel for great horrors."
--Adam Mills, Weird Fiction Review

"There's quite enough variety of tone, setting, and focus here to surprise and disconcert any reader, and leave preconceived expectations flopping and gasping in the cold black mud of Padgett's imagination...Padgett is a chilling master in his own right."
--Paul StJohn Mackintosh, Associate Editor of Teleread

"...for those who enjoy fiction of a weird nature with a capital 'w' The Secret of Ventriloquism should not be missed."
--Kev Harrison, This Is Horror

"...Jon Padgett [is] one of the best writers you might not have heard of yet..."
--Kayleigh Marie Edwards, Ginger Nuts of Horror

"Jon Padgett's The Secret of Ventriloquism may very well be at the vanguard of a new movement in American Weird,where the lessons of Thomas Ligotti are recontextualized and used to birth something as frightening and bizarre as it is different."
--Simon Strantzas, author of Burnt Black Suns
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:03:07 PM by Jon Padgett » Logged
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »

I got my copy in the mail last week as well as I have the Kindle version (and a long flight on a few hours)' can't wait to check it out!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
Jon Padgett
Palmer

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »

For a limited time, the Kindle edition of Secret is free.  For a couple bucks more, you can also have the audio version via Whispersync.

Click here to order it.
Metalsludge
Palmer

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2017, 06:01:32 PM »

For a limited time, the Kindle edition of Secret is free.  For a couple bucks more, you can also have the audio version via Whispersync.

Click here to order it.

Think I paid for the Kindle version already, if I remember the transaction correctly. But that's fine, it was a worthwhile purchase. Good job on the book, hope we see more soon.
Scuba Man
Peltast

Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2017, 02:56:36 PM »

Blech. Meat puppet.  Shocked Shocked

"What can do that to a man?  Lightning... napalm? No, some people just explode [sic]. Natural causes".  Source: Repo Man.
Jon Padgett
Palmer

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2017, 01:01:58 PM »

I recently was interviewed by Gordon White of HELLNOTES, specifically about "20 Simple Steps to Ventriloquism."

This is a deep dive specifically into the inner-workings of the story, which took nearly two decades to get right.

Thomas Ligotti is featured prominently as part of the process, especially in the first section of the interview, as I couldn't have written what would become 20SS without his help.

Also, the Pseudopod production and Shawn Garrett's brilliant notes and sound design are discussed.

Hope you all enjoy!
dagny
Hipparch

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2017, 05:29:02 AM »

Jon--that was a fantastic interview. I'm sharing it with everyone.

"Wolfman's got nards!"
Jon Padgett
Palmer

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2017, 03:09:11 PM »

Thanks, Dagny!

A couple more relevant interviews--this time visual and audial:

Lovecraft eZine Podcast Interview

This Is Horror Podcast Interview - Jon Padgett on Thomas Ligotti, Writing Lessons, and Impostor Syndrome
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:12:04 PM by Jon Padgett » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: