Author Topic: Pseudopod 437: Fog  (Read 4055 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: May 11, 2015, 10:17:53 PM
Pseudopod 437: Fog

by Kristin Luna

Fog” is original to PSEUDOPOD. “This story didn’t just come out of thin air. It really did come out of the fog. While waiting for fog to clear at the Colorado Springs airport so my plane could take off, I went to the bathroom. There, just walking around, was a woman with no pants. It was one of the oddest, out-of-context sights I had ever seen, and knew I had to create a story around it. Thank you so much for listening, and I hope you enjoy ‘Fog.'”

KRISTIN LUNA has been making up stories and getting in trouble for them since elementary school. Her short story “The Greggs Family Zoo of Odd and Marvelous Creatures” was featured in the anthology One Horn to Rule Them All alongside Peter S. Beagle and Todd McCaffrey. Kristin lives in San Diego with her husband Nic. She writes a monthly post for the blog, The Fictorians, on various topics having to do with writing.

Your reader this week – Joe Sammarco – is a 28 year old aspiring voice actor for animation/gaming and a narrator on Starshipsofa. Some of his work and other side projects like reviews are on his YouTube – leopectus1986 channel.

“Outside, there was only gray, diffused light. Hints of airplanes sat lifelessly at their gates. The fog drifted and stroked the windows.

Just as the businessman turned to make conversation with the old man to his left, his gaze caught on a woman walking out of the bathroom. “Will you look at that?”

The security cameras in the terminal jerked into position to watch the woman, except for the one camera trained on the crowd of onlookers. The crowd turned their heads to look.”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

RushJournal

• Extern
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:37:46 PM
Is it just me or did the old woman start with a blouse and end up with a dress and cardigan?

HeartSailor

• Palmer
    • My Hobby
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 12:18:49 AM
This one left me at best, lukewarm.  It had elements of Koontz' Midnight and "The Cabin in the Woods" in that there seems to be an Unnamed Group of Scientists (UGS) manipulating unsuspecting folks with horrific results.  Similar to the plot in Midnight, the gas seemed to bring out the basest nature of those it tainted.

I was left wondering for how long the slaughter would remain un-noticed.  Surely when some travelers never arrived at their destinations, an investigation would be launched.  The little girl's mom and dad?  Surely they plan on calling her when she reaches her destination with grandma.  Hard to understand how the UGS would be able to repeat the experiment the next day - just because the participants did not recall the events doesn't mean the events did not occur.  One suspects a relatively superficial investigation would reveal that something was amiss to the extent that the airport venue would not be a viable place for the UGS to run a repeat test.

It's a short story, I know.  Can't tie up all the threads all the time.  Having said that, this one required a bit more suspension of disbelief than I was willing to give. 

On the plus side, vivid (if horrific) imagery.

-HS

What can we gain by sailing to the moon if we are not able to cross the abyss that separates us from ourselves? This is the most important of all voyages of discovery, and without it, all the rest are not only useless, but disastrous.  Thomas Merton

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:51:09 AM
This worked nicely for me right up until the last couple of lines from the "janitor". I was suitably creeped out by the switch to and from the feral passengers. But, like @HeartSailor, as soon as the Unnamed Group of Scientists was introduced in a concrete way my suspension of disbelief was suddenly re-introduced to gravity and crashed.

Wiggins

• Extern
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 02:44:53 PM
I also enjoyed it until the end.  In a way, I was hoping that the trigger for the frenzy would be related to the flight delays and cancellations (or maybe it's just the frequent traveler in me saying that...).

kristinluna

• Extern
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 05:20:09 PM
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. I feel vindicated in a way because my first draft didn't have the janitor. My writing group pushed for more explanation, which led to the addition of the janitor. I'll definitely keep your comments in mind when writing and submitting my next story to Pseudopod - that maybe more mystery is okay. Thanks again for listening/reading the story and taking the time to comment!

Chairman Goodchild

• Peltast
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 08:53:39 AM
. I feel vindicated in a way because my first draft didn't have the janitor. My writing group pushed for more explanation, which led to the addition of the janitor.

I'm with the rest of the group here, Ms. Luna.  I really enjoyed the story up until the end when the janitor came out.  I really did.

I think the main problem with the janitor is that it breaks the self-containment of the story.  As other people have stated, what happens when the airplane passengers are reported missing?  If the fog is a self-contained phenomena without explanation, then we're ok.  We don't know what will happen, and that becomes part of the story.  Maybe there's fog like this happening all over the world, and we're only seeing the start of something huge.  Maybe the dead have been erased from existence, and no one will ever remember them.  Maybe there will be a huge uproar and police will find an airport strewn with bones, and truth will be found out from surveillance cameras, and the world will be shocked.  The audience decides.  By not offering any explanation for the unexplainable, you'd've had a bulletproof ending.  When you offered an explanation, you had to defend it with the internal logic of the story.  And that becomes incredibly problematic in that, as the others have pointed out, it doesn't really hold water.  

Secondly, the unexplained makes something truly scary, and by explaining, you removed the mystery. An unexplained fog that rolls into an airport, causes people get naked, go mad and eat each other, then dress again with no memory of an incident is much scarier than a secret organization with a janitor agent.  The hint of something would have worked better.  Repeated references to a camera moving and recording all of this behavior would have worked by itself better, rather than the janitor speaking directly into the camera.  This story reminds me a bit of Dean R. Koonz's Phantoms, a 90s movie that had a similar setup, and similar problems at the end.

And third, when the people put their clothes back on and start boarding the airplane, the story's done and should be sprinting towards the finish line.  The large-breasted grandma throwing her granddaughter's ticket away and boarding the plane unconcerned would have made a great last line.  Something on that note, that's where the story would have gone out on top.  

I ended up writing a longer critique than I intended to, and I hope you don't take this as being too negative.  I really got into the story, and I thought it was mostly great, and I look forward to hearing from you again on Pseudopod.  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:15:15 PM by Chairman Goodchild »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 04:32:10 PM
I didn't really get into the story.

I think that the janitor ending put an unneeded twist on it, but even before that I wasn't really digging it.  The language went well out of its way to distance me from it, always focusing on what the cameras as seeing as though this is a script laying out cinematography which, IMO, can be very effective in film but doesn't convey much to me in text except to draw attention to the wrong thing and throughout the whole thing I was figuring that someone must be orchestrating it all because of the emphasis on the camerawork.

Although I was clearly supposed to care about the fate of the girl and the the grandma in particular, the distancing language left me without that much interest in anyone's fates.  While the events were certainly good material for horror, my lack of connection to the characters dampens its effect on me.

Anyway, just one person's opinion, on to the next story.