Author Topic: Off the Grid ... a new series  (Read 2879 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: February 03, 2016, 05:54:38 PM
I learned of a new blog project yesterday. Off The Grid is looking for reviews or recommendations of works (novels, novellas, novelettes, short stories, or poems) that are getting very little online attention.

This reminds me of David Steffen's Long List Anthology...

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 06:23:08 PM
I'll have to noodle on some ideas. I have to mentally separate my social echo chamber from insufficient press.

One thing that does come to mind are some podcasts which are not ancillary functions of a magazine and pay authors pro rates. That's a pretty narrow band of territory. I think just this past year a big organization (SFWA? Nebula committee?) changed rules to include podcasting as an actual publication.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 06:45:57 PM
Caslida's Song (anthology) might count for this. An imperfect release botched the timing for an all-woman response to The King in Yellow. No one knew when to talk about it, as when they were supposed to, there was nothing to point people towards except cover art. And it's just been dribbles since its actual release. At least I think it has been released...

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:17:55 PM
I think just this past year a big organization (SFWA? Nebula committee?) changed rules to include podcasting as an actual publication.

You might be thinking of a change to the Hugo eligibility rules.  Before last year it was ambiguous whether a story that had only been released in audio was eligible as a story, or whether it must be a dramatic presentation.  And then the Hugo admin set a bad precedent by disallowing The Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette Kowal into a fiction category because it was audio.  The rule got changed at last year's WSFS meeting to declare that if it's a story it's a story regardless of format (there are still dramatic presentations but I think the difference is whether it is a script versus prose).

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 09:25:06 PM
I think just this past year a big organization (SFWA? Nebula committee?) changed rules to include podcasting as an actual publication.

You might be thinking of a change to the Hugo eligibility rules.  Before last year it was ambiguous whether a story that had only been released in audio was eligible as a story, or whether it must be a dramatic presentation.  And then the Hugo admin set a bad precedent by disallowing The Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette Kowal into a fiction category because it was audio.  The rule got changed at last year's WSFS meeting to declare that if it's a story it's a story regardless of format (there are still dramatic presentations but I think the difference is whether it is a script versus prose).

That's the one, thanks!