Author Topic: Pseudopod 445: Sweetness  (Read 5078 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: July 04, 2015, 06:52:46 PM
Pseudopod 445: Sweetness

by B.C. Edwards

“Sweetness” first appeared in 2010 in the anthology ZOMBIALITY: A QUEER BENT ON THE UNDEAD (edited by Bill Tucker) and was reprinted in THE AVERSIVE CLAUSE, Edwards’ debut collection of short stories. “When it comes to the classic zombie myth, I’ve always been curious about what it must feel like to change from human to monster. It seems to me something of a huge cop-out to have the transformation happen only after the person was dead. And I’ve always been interested in why zombies act the way they do. Why the hunger?”

B.C. EDWARDS work has appeared in Mathematics Magazine, Hobart, The New York Times Magazine, and others. His debut collection, THE AVERSIVE CLAUSE, was the winner of the 2011 Hudson Prize. His debut collection of poetry, FROM THE STANDARD CYCLOPEDIA OF RECIPES, was released last year. He is a New York Foundation of the Arts 2014 Poetry Fellow, attended the graduate writing program at The New School in New York and lives in Brooklyn with his husband. you can see more at a fairly un-updated website (i.e. tumblr blog) by B.C.E-N.Y.C.

Your narrator – Sam Ferree – by day writes grants and copy for a small environmental nonprofit in the Twin Cities. By night, he scribbles stories, plays, and essays, when not procrastinating. He shares an apartment with a poet and two cats. Also, Sam has accidentally become very involved in the local storytelling community, serving as host of Story Club Minneapolis and board secretary of Story Arts of Minnesota. To learn more about Sam, visit his website Samferree.com or follow him on Twitter @samferree.

“It starts in the back of the throat, that spot where coughs gets caught when you’ve got a cold. It is sweet, like too much caramel, like cheap air freshener, like that perfume my grandmother wore constantly and which always made me gag.

Now I wonder if this is the last time I’ll think about my grandmother.

It will consume me piece by piece until there is nothing left and I am one of those that has been overcome by it. That is how it works, they say. The people on the news say.”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 05:07:02 PM
I thought this was good enough.  Interesting to see variations on perspectives from a person who is turning into a zombie.  Was a little different than previous stories I've read along the lines, but because it's been done so often it wasn't hugely memorable either.

DerangedMind

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 02:30:02 AM
I thought this was good enough.  Interesting to see variations on perspectives from a person who is turning into a zombie.  Was a little different than previous stories I've read along the lines, but because it's been done so often it wasn't hugely memorable either.

This is the first story I can recall hearing where a person turns into a zombie, so for me it is certainly memorable.  I thought it was very well done!

SemaphoreRaven

• Extern
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 06:05:54 AM
I really enjoyed this one - and by really enjoyed I mean I was feeling both weighed down by the hopelessness of the situation and trying not to cry. That's how you enjoy horror fiction, right?

The public's acceptance of the media's endless reassurances was what really stuck with me. That people are so numb and desperate that they'll believe obvious lies just to have some semblance of hope...that denial of reality is so very human. And that's what makes it so heartbreaking.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:29:27 AM
This is the first story I can recall hearing where a person turns into a zombie, so for me it is certainly memorable.

You may also be interested in this episode from 4 years ago

http://pseudopod.org/2011/06/10/pseudopod-233-association/

robert.reed.auth

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 09:31:23 AM
"...I can taste it". That sentence chills me when I hear it. I'm not a zombie story guy, but I loved this story. The slow turn instead of the quick turn. The story wasn't about running from our chasing zombies. For me, after the point of, "I can taste it, it becomes a tragic love story that I have listened to now a half dozen times. Great story. thank you.

uwtartarus

• Extern
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 07:56:59 PM
Wow! I really enjoyed this story. A novel and interesting way to portray the psychology of those infected as they slowly turn. Really horrifying stuff. Altogether scary stuff to imagine yourself in the narrator's mind as it happens, and just the reality of the situation that is lost as the change overcomes them.

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 04:35:06 PM
This was a good take on the zombie genre, proving once again that there is yet room left to explore.  My only criticism is that I didn't find the language particularly engaging - somewhat surprising given that the author is a poet.  Overall though, a really solid story!

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

Whaletale

• Palmer
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 08:33:22 PM
This story made me very sad. It was raw and honest and absolutely tragic. Really great job!

Chairman Goodchild

• Peltast
Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 06:50:17 AM
Didn't care too much for this one.  I thought the repetition was grating rather than horrifying.  I think I know what the author was trying for, but it didn't work out for me.

And I thought it was done much better in Episode 233: Association.  That was an episode that really stuck with me for a long time.