Author Topic: Pseudopod Flash Fiction Contest IV Rules  (Read 65705 times)

Ryan H

• Peltast
  • RonlyBonlyJones
Reply #100 on: September 30, 2015, 08:50:32 PM

archaevist

• Peltast
Reply #101 on: September 30, 2015, 09:54:47 PM
For real I thought today was October 1

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #102 on: October 01, 2015, 01:35:59 AM

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #103 on: October 01, 2015, 03:24:57 PM

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #104 on: October 01, 2015, 03:32:53 PM
Stay on target.

Trying, Gold Five  :)
They're right behind you!

All y'all make Porkins proud.

So proud, he might just cry.

NO!  He can hold it, HE CAN HOLD IT!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #105 on: October 02, 2015, 04:24:24 AM
Stay on target.

Freshman year of college I sat through the whole 6 hour marathon of all three movies just so that, at the end of Jedi as the Millennium Falcon blows up the second Death Star, I could shout:

"THIS ONE'S FOR PORKINS!"

Not-a-Robot

Reply #106 on: October 02, 2015, 07:04:19 AM
Stay on target.

Freshman year of college I sat through the whole 6 hour marathon of all three movies just so that, at the end of Jedi as the Millennium Falcon blows up the second Death Star, I could shout:

"THIS ONE'S FOR PORKINS!"

What's with Porkins?

I was always a Wedge fan.  That guy fights day in and day out and never takes the spotlight or any of the credit.  Hell, he doesn't even die in a flame of glory he just does his job competently every day.

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #107 on: October 02, 2015, 06:56:48 PM
https://youtube.com/watch?v=AW7U4U0XOkE

Thankfully, the true genius of this character has been recognized and some modest improvements  have been made to the Blu-ray.

Infested

• Extern
    • The Badgerine
Reply #108 on: October 02, 2015, 09:46:44 PM
brilliant!

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #109 on: October 02, 2015, 11:42:28 PM

What happens if you you click the "Remove Vote" link in the Poll?

Are all your votes removed, do you have the option to selectively remove votes and -- most important -- can you then vote again?

That's a feature I don't remember from other years.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Kabal

• Matross
Reply #110 on: October 03, 2015, 01:26:58 AM
Yeah I did it twice. Like you never voted and you're free to recast.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #111 on: October 03, 2015, 06:03:45 AM
Yeah I did it twice. Like you never voted and you're free to recast.
Thanks!

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #112 on: October 03, 2015, 06:16:31 AM
Yep, some years I don't think I had it set that way, but I figured you can change your mind upon thinking further on a story, or noticing something that bothers you/makes you like a story more, or perhaps you just accidentally clicked the wrong one.

eytanz

Reply #113 on: October 03, 2015, 11:53:24 AM
In one of the past contests, there was an issue with people changing their votes before the poll closed - when one of their selections was ranked low, and there was a story they didn't like in the top three, they moved their original vote to the fourth place story to try to push their disliked story out. Which is why changing votes was disallowed, because allowing your knowledge of the vote distribution to influence who you are voting for is against the spirit of the polls.

I think the forum community these days is a bit less likely to engage in that sort of shenanigans than in the old days, definitely in a coordinated way, so I think allowing vote changes for cases where people genuinely change their mind is fair enough.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #114 on: October 03, 2015, 03:04:27 PM
As always, I reserve the right to change the rules and stop the ability to change votes should I notice some shady activities

Chicken Ghost

• Matross
Reply #115 on: October 06, 2015, 03:13:45 AM
Use your knowledge of voters' IP addresses to locate them and exact vengeance.

starktheground

• Peltast
  • "Use your inside voice"
Reply #116 on: October 06, 2015, 12:40:08 PM
I have to say, I am thoroughly enjoying this. I really enjoy reading all the different creations. And it's fun to see what others like, and how the stories look from their perspective.

Witchlander

• Peltast
Reply #117 on: October 06, 2015, 05:52:47 PM
I'm having a great time, too! It's more of a time commitment than I realized. My nighttime reading/TV watching has now been replaced by reading flash fiction, but I'm happy to do that for a while.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #118 on: October 06, 2015, 06:02:28 PM
There will be rewards for perseverance. Announcement forthcoming. I see you shiver with antici

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Jon Padgett

• Palmer
Reply #119 on: October 07, 2015, 02:54:56 PM
I'm really enjoying this contest process.  However, I'm increasingly distracted by the comments which follow each piece and have been ignoring them to the best of my ability (until my own votes have been cast). 

It's interesting to consider the psychological impact which these comments--particularly the first one following each submission--undoubtedly have upon voters, and this is the primary reason I've withheld my own observations and notes.  In fact, the Pseudopod staff may wish to consider ways in which groupthink can be avoided in the future.  Perhaps each piece could have a separate comments thread independent from the piece itself (which would be comment free).

I hope the tone of this post is not misunderstood.  The comments are indeed often interesting and helpful.  I just feel that they would be best separated from the submissions themselves.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #120 on: October 07, 2015, 03:30:34 PM
So read the stories, vote, and then read the comments?  That's what I'd do if I were concerned about being influenced.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #121 on: October 07, 2015, 03:37:32 PM
So read the stories, vote, and then read the comments?  That's what I'd do if I were concerned about being influenced.

It sounds like Jon is already trying to do that but is concerned that other people might be affected and may not choose to separate the two likewise?

I don't think it's an unreasonable point.  Attitudes may be affected by the comments.  I don't think that affect is bad necessarily, but it may affect the results.

But I would think it would be a bad idea to change the rules mid-contest without convincing evidence that the current way is clearly worse.  Because almost 8 groups have already been posted and separating the comments from the stories for most of those is too late to matter.  While not ALL things can be forced to be equal between Group 1 and Group 18 (the most notable being voter fatigue), I do think it's best to avoid introducing additional circumstance changes between the first group and the last.

eytanz

Reply #122 on: October 07, 2015, 04:05:38 PM
I'm really enjoying this contest process.  However, I'm increasingly distracted by the comments which follow each piece and have been ignoring them to the best of my ability (until my own votes have been cast). 

It's interesting to consider the psychological impact which these comments--particularly the first one following each submission--undoubtedly have upon voters, and this is the primary reason I've withheld my own observations and notes.  In fact, the Pseudopod staff may wish to consider ways in which groupthink can be avoided in the future.  Perhaps each piece could have a separate comments thread independent from the piece itself (which would be comment free).

I hope the tone of this post is not misunderstood.  The comments are indeed often interesting and helpful.  I just feel that they would be best separated from the submissions themselves.

This was something that had come up as a possible issue when the last contest round came up as well. The thing is, this is not an issue that has a right or wrong approach, it's a matter of the style of contest. All the flash fiction contests we ran here in the past allowed commenting, and all of them let individual members decide whether or not to read the comments and allow them to influence their own votes. That's the type of contest this is, and personally, I think it's part of what makes it worthwhile, and this belief is shared by the other members of the EA forum team (and, as far as I know, the EA editorial team).

This is the contest that this is, and it seems to be successful in its current format - it's the fourth iteration, after all, and its gotten more submissions each time round. I certainly think that we could do it other ways, but I personally don't see the need, nor do I want to (which isn't to say I'm trying to shut down discussion on this, just giving the perspective of one of the people involved running contests here, albeit not the person in charge of this particular one).

Jon Padgett

• Palmer
Reply #123 on: October 07, 2015, 04:17:28 PM
My comments were only meant to be a suggestion from one participant.  I certainly don't expect anything to be changed during the contest (that would be disastrous and unfair)--rather, the issue might be something for the editorial staff to reconsider in future iterations.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #124 on: October 07, 2015, 04:50:46 PM
The way I voted in the prior rounds of the contest:

I would open the group in a new window and open all the stories in individual tabs.

I'd move the story to the left of the poll if I liked it. I'd close it if I didn't.

Then I would read the comments to help me narrow my choices down to three.

How have all of you been voting?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”