Author Topic: Pseudopod Flash Fiction Contest IV Rules  (Read 65801 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #75 on: September 19, 2015, 05:18:58 AM
Aw, shucks, you guys.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
Reply #76 on: September 19, 2015, 06:42:15 AM
Still, it can take some thick skin to read through the critiques and see where everyone totally missed the point of your story and then realize that maybe they missed the point because you did a crappy job of writing it.  *Rolls eyes at self*

I resemble that remark ;-)

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #77 on: September 19, 2015, 03:00:34 PM
Yes, Bdoomed, thanks for taking on the participant & comment wrangling duties on this one. 

Like others, I'm looking forward to both the stories and the story comments.  C'mon, October 1!!!

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Witchlander

• Peltast
Reply #78 on: September 21, 2015, 12:02:46 AM
I'm also impatient for October 1st! I'm a first timer and I only submitted one so I'm not expecting miracles, but it sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks Bdoomed and everyone else involved.

Jaboui

• Extern
    • The ravings of a possibly mad man.
Reply #79 on: September 21, 2015, 12:21:46 AM
Yeah, please let it be October 1st already!

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #80 on: September 21, 2015, 01:19:07 AM

Still, it can take some thick skin to read through the critiques and see where everyone totally missed the point of your story and then realize that maybe they missed the point because you did a crappy job of writing it.  *Rolls eyes at self*

Yup.  Or in my case in the PodCastle contest: "That trope that you're using: it doesn't mean what you think it means."

BUT, it is definitely better to understand than to not understand.

will

• Extern
Reply #81 on: September 23, 2015, 01:34:44 AM
Hi, folks!

October 1st yet?

No?

:wanders away again:

DoWhileNot

• Matross
    • doWhilenot.wordpress.com
Reply #82 on: September 23, 2015, 06:06:45 PM
Hi, folks!

October 1st yet?

No?

:wanders away again:

Er, there's other stuff here besides the contest that ya might want to check out.  Just sayin.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #83 on: September 25, 2015, 08:48:54 PM
I think my calendar's broken.  October doesn't seem to be approaching.

will

• Extern
Reply #84 on: September 27, 2015, 01:48:44 AM
Er, there's other stuff here besides the contest that ya might want to check out.  Just sayin.

Without a doubt.  So much forum. So little time. :-)

NaturalBornChiller

• Extern
Reply #85 on: September 27, 2015, 10:42:33 AM
Hello! I'm looking forward to the contest, though this is my first time taking part. So we write up critiques for every story in every bracket and pick our favourite to go on to the next round? Will we post our critiques here in the forum? I know things will be clearer when October 1st finally rolls around, but I'm just trying to get some idea of what I've signed up for :).

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #86 on: September 27, 2015, 01:14:58 PM
Hello! I'm looking forward to the contest, though this is my first time taking part. So we write up critiques for every story in every bracket and pick our favourite to go on to the next round? Will we post our critiques here in the forum? I know things will be clearer when October 1st finally rolls around, but I'm just trying to get some idea of what I've signed up for :).

If you putter around in the previous rounds, this will give you a good idea as to what to expect.

http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?board=16.0

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #87 on: September 27, 2015, 01:56:50 PM
While it's nice to make as many crits as possible, you don't have to crit every story in every round.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #88 on: September 28, 2015, 03:02:08 PM
While it's nice to make as many crits as possible, you don't have to crit every story in every round.

It is not, in fact, required to crit any story.  Or to vote.  Or to read any story.  You can just send your stories in and then wait to see if you win.

But I (and many others) finding the critiquing and being-critiqued to be a wonderful exercise and way to interact with like-minded people here on the forums.  I try to give some feedback on every story, but that's certainly not required.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #89 on: September 28, 2015, 03:08:45 PM
Critiquing and responding in threads will carry additional reward. I have plans.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

dagny

• Hipparch
Reply #90 on: September 28, 2015, 11:55:06 PM
I'm really looking forward to some criticism, honestly--I just started writing spec fiction, and I want pointers.

"Wolfman's got nards!"

South of No North

• Matross
  • Oneironaut and Alchymist
Reply #91 on: September 29, 2015, 05:24:42 AM
On Oct. 1st the Flash Fiction Contest begins and
On Oct. 6th Ligotti re-print of Songs of a Dead Dreamer & Grimscribe is released.
September is taking fooooreeeeeveeeer.

"Yes, of course I can blame you. Without them, where would all of us outlaws be? What would we have? Only a lawless paradise...and paradise is a bore. Violence without violation is only noise heard by no one, the most horrendous sound in the universe." --The Chymist by Thomas Ligotti

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #92 on: September 29, 2015, 03:00:06 PM
Critiquing and responding in threads will carry additional reward. I have plans.

For real?  Nice! 

Even were that not the case, critiquing and responding is its own reward.  :)

DJL

• Extern
Reply #93 on: September 30, 2015, 01:56:56 AM
How does the actual voting work? Is it done by replying to the posted story with an "I choo-choo-choose you", or is there something more to it?

"America is not a young land: it is old and dirty and evil before the settlers, before the Indians. The evil is there waiting."

--WSB

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #94 on: September 30, 2015, 02:28:59 AM
A poll will be at the top of the list of stories.  If you look at past contests, you can see what I'm talking about :)

Ryan H

• Peltast
  • RonlyBonlyJones
Reply #95 on: September 30, 2015, 03:27:08 AM
This is so damn exciting!!!!!!!

212 stories is a lot of work. I'm impressed by all this organization, Bdoomed!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #96 on: September 30, 2015, 02:14:01 PM
It's October 1st somewhere in the world!

archaevist

• Peltast
Reply #97 on: September 30, 2015, 07:29:01 PM
Voting when

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #98 on: September 30, 2015, 07:31:05 PM
Voting soon

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #99 on: September 30, 2015, 08:25:38 PM
Stay on target.