Escape Artists
December 11, 2018, 05:09:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP501/EP647: Imma Gonna Finish You Off (Flashback Friday)  (Read 7919 times)
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 10:12:22 AM »

I enjoyed this one a lot.  Sure, you can poke holes in the premise.  Justifying the plausibility of the premise was not its purpose.  This wasn't a cautionary tale about the dangers of immortality, it was a tale that told of a possible governmental reaction to immortality, that may or may not be plausible.  Does it look like a horribly irrational reaction?  Sure.  I'm glad that we can, in real life, depend on the government to not do horribly irrational things that also coincidentally uphold the status quo of filthy rich people continuing to be filthy rich people. 

Anyway, I quite enjoyed the perspective of someone who is temporarily filling the role of detective but who has mostly known of what detectives do from watching TV shows about them trying to perform that function by investigating murder in a world where murder is generally considered impossible.

The hug-hungry heartbot was hilarious.

The Transylvanian vamp bot was borderline too over-the-top, but for me it balanced on that edge between funny and getting to be a little annoying well enough.

Good stuff!
chalkonthewall
Extern

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 03:16:49 PM »

I understand that many people enjoy looking into the deeper holes of plots, sometimes I like to join them in the incessant picking at the story scab. However, despite the holes and implausibilities this episode got me where it counts. That is giggling helplessly in front of a Teavana in the local mall as concerned mothers pull their children away hoping that I am not contagious. I believe that means a job well done.
El Barto
Peltast

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 04:41:20 PM »

I did not like this one at all.  There was so much about it that grated and made no sense.

In a world where AI has been outlawed, presumably for a hugely important reason, how could someone in the role of a law enforcement officer find someone breaking what would presumably be their society's most serious law, and ignore it?

The main character's to fight a small medical robot seemed crazy to me.  I can perhaps understanding being worried that the robot could be quick with its needle, but the main character is a human with feet and could presumably get away easily.   And didn't the character actually get away into another room and close the door?  Was the little robot breaking down the door?

And in perhaps the most infuriating plot hole, the law enforcement officer with a biophone BUILT INTO HIS HEAD couldn't call for backup or dial 911? 

All that said, I am delighted that some other EP listeners liked this one even though I did not.  We are a diverse bunch.

Ichneumon
Matross

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 04:20:18 PM »

I was really interested in the beginning with the morgue scene and the detective trying to figure out how to conduct an investigation, but feel like the story took a strange turn with the sentient robots. I think there was enough going on in the story without them. The little dracula was cute/funny/terrible but I thought the story was going to go in a different direction and was kinda sad it didn't.
CryptoMe
Hipparch

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 10:41:52 AM »

I remember this one so vividly. I can even picture where I was wen I heard it the first time. It seems like it was on too recently to be a "flashback".

Never-the-less, I enjoyed this one again. It was fun and frivolous.
Jen
Palmer

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »

The story was good enough to allow me to easily suspend my disbelief. The world doesn't make sense, but everything else was great, from the way the murder was introduced (a detective basically going "wtf??") to the little details like the fact that the country prefix of Romania was correct. I would be glad to claim the vampi-bot on behalf of my country, it was weirdly adorable. Bonus points for the spot-on narration as well!
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: