Author Topic: EP665/EP500: The Man Who Lost the Sea [Flashback Friday]  (Read 15856 times)

Kabal

• Matross
Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 03:29:57 PM
This is probably one of the best stories I've ever read. I can't believe it didn't win the Hugo. Granted Flowers for Algernon is also a great story but I'd place this one above it.

jaxdracon

• Extern
Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 07:14:36 PM
Same here.  My two favorite stories on Escape Pod, both for content and narration.  I love so many things about this story: the setting sneaking up on you, the use of 2nd person POV, the sparing yet metaphor-rich language, the plot's relevance 56 years later, the conflation of themes of death and hope. And Anson's delivery was just perfect. WTG guys.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 02:42:05 PM
Unfortunately, this story was not my cup of tea. The story idea was great, but it was the writing that did me in. I don't disagree with all the praise that people had for the writing, it really was technically well done. But for me, the final result was long, meandering, and frankly dull. As I said, not my cup of tea.

That said, I really, really enjoyed the calls and letters from listeners at the end. Big congrats to Escape Artists for reaching their 500th episode!! (Though as I write this, the 600th episode is about to come out). I've been an Escape Pod listener since 2006 (I think EP#83: Ulla, was my first). I was introduced to Escape Pod, and podcasts in general, by a friend on a long car trip and have been enjoying EP ever since. My favourite EP story is probably EP#222: Infestation. My favourite flash story is Standards (from 2008). Thank you EP for so many years of good stories.

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 06:15:17 AM
I had deleted this after listening to it twice back when it came out, but now that you've reissued it, I've decided to keep it on my podcatcher forever, or at least until this phone dies in a year or whenever.

It's simply an astounding piece of writing, astoundingly well read.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 10:02:36 PM
LOL! Interesting to read what I wrote the last time I listened to this story. Even more interesting that my opinion has not changed. Good to know I am consistent.  ;)