Escape Artists
July 20, 2019, 11:43:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The final group of the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest is live! Voting lasts through July 13th.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP665/EP500: The Man Who Lost the Sea [Flashback Friday]  (Read 9461 times)
eytanz

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 02:15:55 PM »

Sure, why not?
Chairman Goodchild
Peltast

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 07:54:41 AM »

Fantastic choice for a 500th episode.  Loved it.

It's amazing how on the nose this story was for being written in 1959, and how modern the prose is.  That first line really drew me in.  "Say you're a kid, and one dark night you're running along the cold sand with this helicopter in your hand..." and the way it plays with pronouns all the way thru the piece.  It's a piece of hard science fiction written about the first landing on Mars in the year 1959, and it doesn't come off as being dated.  With changes to a few details, this story could be published today, and no one would find it anachronistic.  To write something like this before the first man in space and have it ring true today is a feat.  

Fantastic story, and if I had to make one negative criticism of the episode in general it's that it really would have been nice to have gotten Steve back for the 500th episode.  I was really hoping to have him drop in and say hi.  But I'm sure there are many circumstances that I know nothing about as a listener, so perhaps that was simply impossible.  
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:10:12 PM by Chairman Goodchild » Logged
literatish
Extern

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 02:44:57 AM »

I loved the gradual piling up of details about the narrator's past and his current situation. I loved that he was trying desperately to force himself to think of the sea, not only because of his love for it, but because of everything it taught him about survival and powerlessness. I loved the structure of the story, and that the reveal waited patiently for the very last line, and the huge welling up of emotion that the narrator experienced in that final moment of realization and release. This is a beautiful story.

And the narration was flawless. Norm's commentary was just as flawless. The call-ins and letters were lovely. I look forward to the 500th episodes of Pseudopod and Podcastle, and the 1000th episodes too.
Lisa3737
Palmer

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »

Everything about the 500th episode was GREAT!!   A big thank you!
Moritz
Lochage

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2015, 09:03:01 AM »

So I first posted I didn't really get the story the first time. The second time, I was commuting to work, didn't finish it right away. Well, work is a 14 minute walk from home... I continued listening later during lunch break and tried to understand it, but failed again. Today, I went to the gym and worked out on a cross trainer for 35 minutes. That gave me the peace of mind to really get into the story and finally understand it. I am really glad I gave it a third chance, because it was an amazing story!

I'll echo previous comments in that it's not dated at all and a great example of "hard SF". Thanks Escape Pod!
Kabal
Matross

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 10:29:57 AM »

This is probably one of the best stories I've ever read. I can't believe it didn't win the Hugo. Granted Flowers for Algernon is also a great story but I'd place this one above it.
jaxdracon
Extern

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 02:14:36 PM »

Same here.  My two favorite stories on Escape Pod, both for content and narration.  I love so many things about this story: the setting sneaking up on you, the use of 2nd person POV, the sparing yet metaphor-rich language, the plot's relevance 56 years later, the conflation of themes of death and hope. And Anson's delivery was just perfect. WTG guys.
CryptoMe
Hipparch

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »

Unfortunately, this story was not my cup of tea. The story idea was great, but it was the writing that did me in. I don't disagree with all the praise that people had for the writing, it really was technically well done. But for me, the final result was long, meandering, and frankly dull. As I said, not my cup of tea.

That said, I really, really enjoyed the calls and letters from listeners at the end. Big congrats to Escape Artists for reaching their 500th episode!! (Though as I write this, the 600th episode is about to come out). I've been an Escape Pod listener since 2006 (I think EP#83: Ulla, was my first). I was introduced to Escape Pod, and podcasts in general, by a friend on a long car trip and have been enjoying EP ever since. My favourite EP story is probably EP#222: Infestation. My favourite flash story is Standards (from 2008). Thank you EP for so many years of good stories.
TrishEM
Matross

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 01:15:17 AM »

I had deleted this after listening to it twice back when it came out, but now that you've reissued it, I've decided to keep it on my podcatcher forever, or at least until this phone dies in a year or whenever.

It's simply an astounding piece of writing, astoundingly well read.

CryptoMe
Hipparch

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »

LOL! Interesting to read what I wrote the last time I listened to this story. Even more interesting that my opinion has not changed. Good to know I am consistent.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: