Author Topic: Pseudopod 041: Fingerbones Hung Like Mobiles  (Read 8306 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: June 08, 2007, 06:22:55 AM
Pseudopod 041: Fingerbones Hung Like Mobiles

By Paul Jessup

Read by Jared Axelrod

“These woods are filled with spirits,” she said, “Not like the spirits of the dead. Older spirits. My grandma told me about them. She said that once these spirits used to help people, they were noble and good. And then people stopped praying to them. Stopped giving them food and friendship. Now the spirits are sick, and they wander these woods looking for companionship.”

Brad laughed and drank some of the vodka.

“What a load of shit,” Brad said, “Is that supposed to be scary, huh Carla? I don’t buy it. Not one bit.”

Little Man looked nervous. It was hard to reconcile this story with what we saw only a few hours ago. “Don’t worry Little Man,” Brad said, “Carla’s just pulling our legs. Ain’t that right?”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 09:08:39 PM
That was a great story and an excellent reading.  There's something about a well done creepy ghost story like this that gets under my skin like no other. 

eytanz

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 09:57:17 PM
I really enjoyed this story. I was especially impressed by the ending - I looked at my iPod and saw that there were only 2:30 minutes left and quite a bit still going on I was really uncertain that it would be possible to wrap up everything in such a short amount of time, and not only was the story concluded, it was concluded in a way that made everything that preceded it even more creepy and fun.

And the reading was indeed excellent.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 09:43:44 PM
Hmm...  I guess I'm just really stupid.  I didn't get that AT ALL, like, it might as well have random ad-libs.  There was a general unpleasantness, but that's about it.  What the heck happened?

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

eytanz

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 03:12:56 AM
What happened?

(Spoilers follow, beware)

Hmm.. Well, the characters are troubled teenagers, apparently living on the edge between modern society and a kind of dark fairy-tale world populated by spirits that seem inspired by Eastern European folklore. The narrator has some sort of connection to these spirits, as does the girl Carla. Carla is in an abusive relationship. She sleeps with the narrator, then steals his heart (literally) and hides it. Then, after their friend drowns in an accident, she steals his body and gives it to the witch in the forest. The witch then tells the narrator of Carla having betrayed him and stolen his heart, and that if he betrays her in return to the witch, she'll give him something valuable. He thinks she means the heart, but after he leads Carla to her he discovers its his friend's bones. His friend's ghost is now free, and tells the narrator where the heart is - beyond some sort of fairytale quest zone - but the narrator isn't willing to risk himself to get it (only, it seems, others), and leaves it at that.

That's the plot, but the plot isn't really the important part - it's the juxtaposition of the theme of troubled teenagers with the darkness of the fairytales. The story worked, for me, because of the implicit suggestion that the world of old folklore still exists, outside of the reach of mainsteam society, but it is degraded, and only people in a like state of degradation can connect to it. The kids, being self-destructive and lost, have a connection to something that is equally lost. What made the story great, rather than good, is that it managed to impart all this without explicitly saying it, just by the actions and descriptions by the narrator. The end was great, in a horrific way, because it showed that the supernatural cannot save the narrator - he is too far gone, amoral and uncaring, to ever truly be a hero.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 04:57:27 AM
That, and it would be a very long story if he DID feel like questing for his heart, and most likely too long for Escape Pod. :P

i enjoyed this story, i kinda chuckled at the end when he decided not to go after his heart, its most likely the same reasoning i would use.
the beginning was creepy; laughing as his friend was drowning... *shudders*

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 01:19:22 PM
Hmm...  Well, thanks for the synopsis.  I guess I was trying to make too much sense out of something that doesn't quite make sense, if that makes sense.

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 06:04:33 PM
The appearance of Baba Yaga was nicely done.  It was never stated, merely alluded to.  All in all I enjoyed this piece quite a lot. 

I especially like that it was not burdened by how he managed to trick Carla, something that would have taken a lot longer then the time allotted and not nearly as interesting as the results.  This story knew when to show and when to tell and it was a really good tale. 

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 01:51:49 PM
This guy really is heartless.  He gives Carla to the witch to find out where his heart is.  Then he says, "eh, I'm OK without the heart."  I'm glad his friend ended up being happy running with the spirits.  He even comes by to say hi once on a while.

floatingtide

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 01:11:27 AM
I really liked this. It's a new favorite. I liked how the darkest parts were the human-possible things; laughter, violence, betrayal.  The writing was also sumptuous and I loved the off-kilter beat of the plot, particularly the not-going-for-heart ending. It was dark and perfect for the character and plot.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 12:05:01 PM
I'm a sucker for a faerie tale, and this was a great modern Baba Yaga story!
Got any more like it from this author?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 05:14:43 AM
Hmm...  I guess I'm just really stupid.  I didn't get that AT ALL, like, it might as well have random ad-libs.  There was a general unpleasantness, but that's about it.  What the heck happened?
Me too. I kept waiting for the story to start. Maybe there was too much rambling by the POV character that did not add to the narrative? (Sorry my literatese not so good.)
I liked the title though.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 03:36:33 PM
Good to see Baba Yaga again (or before, since the other Baba Yaga PP tale I've heard is a couple years after this one).

This one was pretty good, but some of the motivations and details just didn't make sense.  How did he live without his heart?  I realize it's speculative fiction, so it doesn't have to make sense, but it is better if there's some lead-up to the possibility of that happening.  At the very least, he should wonder "How am I alive without a heart" as anyone in the modern world would ask.

Why did he turn in his friend to get his heart, only to not bother going to get the heart when he was told where it was?

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 11:55:04 AM

OK, two years later I know, but nah you're not stupid. This story did not engage me at all. Sure, I got the Baba Yaga thing but the whole was nothing I could grasp onto. In fact I almost stopped listening about 1/3 through. The characters, the situations, the descriptions... nothing felt solid, real, close. Can't explain.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:11:07 AM by kibitzer »

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 07:24:01 PM
Know what's crazy?  I really wanted to like this one, but I just couldn't.  It's crazy because I usually dislike "surrealist" type stories (for example, I did not like "The Sultan of Meat" at all).  However, this one was interesting and I really wanted to get invested in it.  I think my main problem was that the story just sort of plodded everywhere.  Although I could make out what was happening, the events felt random and unconnected.  This is just my opinion, but: I think stories of the more outre variety (surrealist, fantasy, extreme sci-fi) need a strong grounding in a solid, easy-to-follow plot.  This is by no means a 100% rule, but sometimes it can really help a story from becoming too obfuscated.  I would have liked the story laid out a little harder in this one.  Worth the listen, but not one of my favorites.

Also: not sure why it wasn't titled "The Land Behind the Mirror."

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.