Author Topic: PC383: Abandoned Responsibility  (Read 8672 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: September 29, 2015, 03:26:35 PM
PodCastle 383: Abandoned Responsibility

by G. Scott Huggins
read by Wilson Fowlie

First published in Fantastical Visions IV, edited by William H. Horner. (Still available on Amazon.)

“Ah, Captain.” The pirate bowed. His accent was crisp and strange, and the crowd hushed as they strained to listen. “I thank you for your hospitality—”

Haraad cut him off with his usual tact. “The captain . . . has better things to do. I’m his son. And we aren’t rescuing you, pirate.”

The stranger’s odds would have been better a year ago, with the captain, but he had taken sick. And Haraad was just enough of a sailor to see Ekkaia safely back to the Grove. But there was no way for this man to know that.

The stranger’s face fell. “I was afraid of that,” he said calmly. “I don’t suppose you’d believe me if I told you that our, ah . . . situation . . . has changed?”

The crowd laughed, Haraad loudest of all. It was an oily, ugly sound. But even Responsibility felt the laughter well up in her for an instant. Pirates change? One might as well ask the sunspike to move! Ever since the First Fleet split, the Near Islands had been rife with pirates. It did not look good for the pirate, alone on a Century Ship.

Rated PG-13

G. Scott Huggins lives with his wife, three kids, and cat in Wichita, KS (no Oz jokes, please) where he makes the history of the world awesome enough that high-schoolers pay attention. He has six stories coming out this year in various venues (maybe more by the time you hear this)! Of note is his very-nearly-award winning story, “Phoenix For The Amateur Chef” coming out in November in Sword and Sorceress 30 from MZB Works. It was runner-up for the Baen Adventure Fantasy Award in 2014. You can find him on Facebook.

Wilson Fowlie has been reading stories out loud since the age of 4, and credits any talent he has in this area to his parents, who are both excellent at reading aloud. He has been narrating stories for more people than his own family since late 2008 and has narrated for PodCastle, Escape Pod and Pseudopod, as well as StarShipSofa, Protecting Project Pulp, Crime City Central, Tales To Terrify, Beam Me Up, Cast Macabre, Dunesteef Audio Fiction magazine and the Journey Into… podcast. In real life he’s a web developer and also the director of a community show chorus called The Maple Leaf Singers.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:02:41 AM by Talia »

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 01:36:13 AM
When the story started with a reference to the "spinward" direction, I was hoping that this was set on a Halo, or Wheel. but it's a disk. Oh, well. It could be an Alderson Disk, or some similar megastructure. We just aren't given enough clues. I just don't understand the Spike, which has the day night cycle in place.

But seriously, what's not to like about this story? Oceans so huge that they are crossed in massive ships meant to be in transit for 20 years or more. Dragons that are cross fertile with humans. The consortium's science is just considered to be another form of magic. (And really, that sounds perfectly legit) This world is rich with potential for many, many stories.

The story itself was good, in the standard prisoner is lost princess kind of way. But I find that enjoyable.

Thumbs up!

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 03:37:39 PM
I would also be interested in more stories set in this world. The interspecies relationships are pretty intriguing, along with the geographical coolness (giant oceans? Yes please!) interest me.

The story itself was not all that groundbreaking but that was ok since the world itself was different.

As always, a stellar narration by Mr. Fowlie :-)

FeloniusMonk

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 01:01:09 AM
Hugely enjoyed this one and wish there was more set in this world. That's all.

Azriyqam

• Extern
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 11:39:11 PM
Hi, everyone.

I'm the author of "Abandoned Responsibility" and I just stopped by to thank you all for the positive feedback. I'm so glad you all enjoyed it, and I'm flattered that you'd like more.

I... might just have to write more, then.

And, congratulations, first commenter, up there, you guessed right. It's an Alderson Disc.

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 11:15:12 AM

And, congratulations, first commenter, up there, you guessed right. It's an Alderson Disc.

w00t! I got it right! Well, sort of, I'm still iffy on the nature of the Spike. Let me give it another try...

So the Spike is the source of light during the day, and dims at night to be called the moon. With an Alderson Disc, the Sun is supposed to bounce up and down through the hole in the disc. If its path up and down were enclosed in a millions of miles high translucent structure, it would shine with some reflected light while the sun dropped below the disc, giving the "moonlight".

That's my current best guess.

Azriyqam

• Extern
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 12:52:05 PM
That's pretty much it. The "structure" being hellaciously strong forcefields.

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 09:24:52 AM
This was quite a fun little story. I liked how glimpses of the wider world illuminated the hyper-local focus of the story, and I, too, would like for more stories to explore it.

The tone and several of the plot elements reminded me of John Meagher's Tales of the Left Hand, so people who liked this story might like to visit there while they wait for G. Scott Huggins to write more.

literatish

• Extern
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 05:37:23 AM
I... might just have to write more, then.

I really hope you do! I enjoyed the world of Abandoned Responsibility so much. I'd love to hang out there for an entire novel.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 07:48:36 PM
This was fun.

I like how a relatively simple idea can become something new with a little bit of a change.  "dragon guards a princess locked in a tower" becomes "dragon IS a princess locked in a tower".  Lots of cool details in this with the Consortium technology being the exotic power, the interaction between dragons and humans and how they have learned to coexist and even share bloodlines.  The latent but gradually learning powers of the main character.  Good stuff all around.

Azriyqam

• Extern
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 09:10:10 PM
Dear Podcastle Listeners,

I just wanted to thank you for introducing me to the amazing sensation of having people tell me I should write more. It's... it's almost like having... having fans.

So, I figured I owed you a foretaste of something. Without divulging any real details, you can follow the link to get an idea of what's next for Azriyqam.

https://www.facebook.com/gscotthuggins/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 04:46:19 PM

I just wanted to thank you for introducing me to the amazing sensation of having people tell me I should write more. It's... it's almost like having... having fans.

So, I figured I owed you a foretaste of something. Without divulging any real details, you can follow the link to get an idea of what's next for Azriyqam.

Neat!

And thanks for dropping in!  :)

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 08:42:11 PM
I'm so behind on commenting due to the flash contest... I barely kept my head above water getting through Round 1. :o

Anyway, let me join the chorus of "loved it!" :) All the elements mentioned above, especially the hints at a huge mafia-esque family run by dragons and magicians (wizards? it's been several weeks and I don't quite remember.). So fun!

Excellent!!

Azriyqam

• Extern
Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 02:48:58 PM
Great News!

The sequel is coming to Podcastle as an original! You asked, and I have delivered: "Responsibility Descending" has been accepted for publication here!

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 03:03:19 PM
Great News!

The sequel is coming to Podcastle as an original! You asked, and I have delivered: "Responsibility Descending" has been accepted for publication here!

Great news indeed!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 02:46:00 PM
Great News!

Coooooool!

Looking forward to hearing it, and thanks for coming here to share the good news.  :)

Azriyqam

• Extern
Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 11:06:48 PM
Gah! Okay, I can't help it; I'm excited: SEQUEL IS UP!![/glow]

Avnai

• Extern
Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 01:54:38 PM
DEAR FRIENDS,

Hi, this is Scott Huggins, author of "Abandoned Responsibility."

(Yeah, I know, this isn't the same profile I was using before: it was associated with an old email and I forgot the password. oops.)

I'm pleased to announce that I have spent the last few years working on Responsibility's first novel, and last month it came out from New Mythologies Press (Chris Kennedy Publishing) entitled RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CROWN. It's only $4.99 on Kindle or FREE with KU. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095CLDVMD

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #18 on: June 14, 2021, 06:10:30 PM
Cool!

Let me know if you need a narrator for the audio version…  ;D

Wilson

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham