Author Topic: Lock, Stock, and 212 Smoking Barrels  (Read 37665 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #50 on: October 16, 2015, 12:53:50 PM

Enjoy the Pseudopoll Crunch.

Sounds like a wretched sugary cereal that rots your sanity in proportion to your teeth.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #51 on: October 16, 2015, 01:06:03 PM

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #52 on: October 16, 2015, 03:17:30 PM

Sounds like a wretched sugary cereal that rots your sanity in proportion to your teeth.

Do NOT drink the milk when you're done!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #53 on: October 16, 2015, 04:23:17 PM
Because I ...Excel... at making spreadsheets, I thought I'd make one to play with the numbers. And I thought YOU might like to play with it too.  Please don't abuse your editing privileges. :)

(Full disclosure: I should have probably taken Statistics at some point...)

Update: maybe this link?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D4AmA_lgFYY-tlI5HoCu6m1Kkb_SXBqYI7vr9KuU4Ek/edit?usp=docslist_api

Mmmmm... dataaaaa...

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #54 on: October 16, 2015, 11:03:23 PM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D4AmA_lgFYY-tlI5HoCu6m1Kkb_SXBqYI7vr9KuU4Ek/edit?usp=docslist_api
Ok, I've done a preliminary analysis of the numbers and it looks like each digit used only ranges from 0 to 9.  Also, the titles of the stories all seem to be primarily made up of vowels and consonants (with a handful of fricatives to spice things up) and I'm calculating that there is, like, a 94.6% likelihood that I am not equipped to derive meaningful data from the data provided. 

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #55 on: October 16, 2015, 11:09:45 PM
Groups 9 and 10 have closed, and Round 2C will be up later today hopefully :)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #56 on: October 17, 2015, 08:07:43 AM
Wow, we have all 18 groups posted.

Fun fact: the very last story I ported over to the forums, the last one submitted, number 212, the conclusion of my initial labors -- was titled "Finally", and appeared in group 10.

I hope you're all holding in there!  The last leg of the contest is upon us!

I'm also beyond ecstatic that you are enjoying my poll intros.  I've never done such lengthy ones before and the response to it has been awesome and encouraging for my own writing.  I'm almost burnt out (20 stories so far every other day is HARD) so I'll be resorting to micro fiction more and more I suspect, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.  I'll set up a poll at the end for you all to vote on which one you liked the most.  You all make me blush.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #57 on: October 17, 2015, 11:10:21 AM
They're a highlight, though not least because I'm not expected to render judgment and comment on 'em.  XD

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #58 on: October 17, 2015, 03:07:27 PM
They're a highlight, though not least because I'm not expected to render judgment and comment on 'em.  XD

Yet!  :P

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Kolin Gates

• Peltast
Reply #59 on: October 18, 2015, 11:31:40 PM
Thanks for putting this all together, Bdoomed! Great work on the Poll Stories. I, for one, am glad that we're almost there!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #60 on: October 19, 2015, 03:30:00 PM
Phew, I have read all the stories!  I love these contests, but they're also exhausting.  I can't imagine how much more tiring they must be for Bdoomed.  Well done, good sir, thank you for all the effort you've put into organizing this.

I'll still be catching up on comment threads and voting for future rounds, but that first round of cold reading is the part I find most tiring.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #61 on: October 19, 2015, 06:31:00 PM
I happen to be unemployed right now through nothing but sheer coincidence.  Makes this all a lot easier!

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #62 on: October 19, 2015, 06:45:35 PM
I happen to be unemployed right now through nothing but sheer coincidence.  Makes this all a lot easier!

Today I actually stayed an hour after work in my office just to read the last group... because I thought I wouldn't get the time at home.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #63 on: October 20, 2015, 02:14:10 AM
On to group 16! I think I'm going to make it haha! I haven't gone back yet to read comments that came in after I read each story, I'm definitely looking forward to that once I make it through the initial gauntlet. :)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #64 on: October 22, 2015, 06:11:11 PM
Group 15 has closed, as has the polling for group 16.  I'll be posting authors today for group 16, but a bit later.  Round 2E will also begin later today, consisting of stories from groups 13-15.  One more round 2 group after this then on to the semifinals!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #65 on: October 23, 2015, 04:58:00 AM
Whew, that was a lot to do all at once.  15 and 16 are now closed, authors posted, stories moved to Round 2E, Round 2B closed and authors posted.

Enjoy voting!  Groups 17 an 18 will be closing in a day so get those votes in if you haven't yet!

Chicken Ghost

• Matross
Reply #66 on: October 24, 2015, 04:41:43 AM
Do you guys vote for your own stories?

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #67 on: October 24, 2015, 08:33:01 AM

Sure.

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #68 on: October 25, 2015, 02:55:30 AM

Naturally, you have to love your own children first.

But that leaves two other votes at any given time: be fair with those.

Chicken Ghost

• Matross
Reply #69 on: October 25, 2015, 06:33:10 AM
It feels l8ke a dick move if there are others that don't suck.  And yet, i don't wanna cast the vote that casts me out.

eytanz

Reply #70 on: October 25, 2015, 08:31:58 AM
In pat contests, there used to be a rule that required authors to vote for their own stories, with the thinking being that if everyone does that, it's a level playing field. But people complained that sometimes there are three stories that they preferred, plus as the contests grew we had more authors that weren't participating in the votes at all, so the rule was dropped.

In my opinion, there's certainly nothing wrong with voting for your own story. It's not a dick move, because the authors of the stories you are competing against have the option of doing the same. If they choose not to, that's their choice, and you shouldn't feel constrained by it.

I've voted for my own story in both rounds so far.

starktheground

• Peltast
  • "Use your inside voice"
Reply #71 on: October 25, 2015, 06:36:54 PM

I voted for one of mine but not the other. It felt honest to me.

Of course, I don't always do the brightest things.

jkjones21

• Hipparch
  • Fiend of borderline obssessives.
    • Catchy Title Goes Here
Reply #72 on: October 25, 2015, 06:52:49 PM
The way I see it, the criterion for deciding whether or not you should vote for a story is pretty broadly defined as, "Do you want to see this specific story run on an Escape Artists podcast?"  The reasons for saying yes to that question are usually tied up with which stories you think are quality work when you're a reader, but when you're also the author of a story, there isn't anything wrong with being self-interested.  I voted for my own works in every round they appeared, because I wanted to see them get published on PseudoPod.  With the vast number of voters, my personal vote didn't particularly change the outcome of where I placed in any given round, but if it had, I'd still consider my motivations as a valid reason for voting for myself over another story.

Jason Jones
http://jkjones21blog.wordpress.com

I'm a Cage, he's a Cage, she's a Cage, 'cause we're all Cage!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #73 on: October 25, 2015, 09:20:38 PM
Sorry folks, been busy.  Will be putting up the semifinal 1 shortly as well as round 2F :)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #74 on: October 26, 2015, 01:58:00 PM
Yup, I've voted for my own.  It's explicitly allowed in the rules, so I figure anyone who's paying attention has the right to do the same anyway.  And my take on it is similar to jkjones's, I'll vote for what I'd most like to see in the contest, and that includes selfish reasons.  It's going to be a rare circumstance that one vote is going to be the deciding factor between in and out anyway--my vote did not keep my stories from tanking.