Author Topic: Looking for Podcasts on SF and F  (Read 5747 times)

Moritz

• Lochage
on: October 09, 2015, 08:36:49 AM
I am basically looking for a podcast that gives reviews of books/ comics/ movies in the genre, maybe some interviews, and discussions of the development of the sub genres. I'd prefer something professional and not too geeky, you know, like the EA podcasts but about the genre.

Topics that especially interest me:
- genre fiction around the world (for example I am collecting communist SF novels I can find where I live - in a former communist country that is - and I just watched an Iranian Vampire movie)
- development of the genre and sub genre, past and current

Any suggestions?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:20:03 AM
Faculty of Horror seems to cover part of what you're searching for. In depth and crunchy analysis of horror films.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Joshuabub

• Extern
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:13:36 PM
And perhaps your thoughts on the series as a whole  and whether or not youd like to see the podcasts continue

Spam link removed.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 06:46:19 AM
House to Astonish are a Scottish team of podcasters who cover comics weekly. Informal but very very good.

How Is This Movie combines industry figure interviews and surprisingly great and accessible economics discussion with detailed critical essays on individual movies. They're half hour look at Aliens is flat out brilliant.

School of Movies may well be exactly what you're looking for. Ludicrously in depth discussions of tv shows, occasional games and movies, often running 2 plus hours by Alex and Sharon Shaw, a couple of excellent British podcasters. I've been a guest a few times and listen all the time because I've never come out the other side of an episode without learning something. A little informal in tone but all discussion shows are and very very complete in their approach. I'd recommend their episodes on The Thing and Pacific Rim in particular (Mild spoiler: I'm in the Pacific Rim episode)

If you're looking for straight up gaming discussion then you need Cane and Rinse. I view them, Faculty and school of Movies as essentially the blueprint for how to do pop culture discussion shows right. Perfect mix of personal recollections, history of and discussion of a particular game. Their Crazy Taxi episode made me want to play it again.

Hope those help:)