Author Topic: EA Metacast, October 2015  (Read 10413 times)

eytanz

on: October 14, 2015, 02:38:21 PM
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:40:59 PM by eytanz »

eytanz

Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 02:39:38 PM
Please note that at the time I'm posting this, only part 1 is available on the feed, but you can listen to all three parts by following the links above or going to the blog post at escapepod.org.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 09:59:31 PM
I am deeply grateful that the company is doing so well. I can say with a rare lack of irony that I love what EA is doing, I'm thrilled that Al bought it, and I'm even more thrilled that the team is so competent.

I admit to initially being skeptical about Mothership Zeta (I grew up in the 1990s, the Age of 'Zines) - but I can't resist a Labor of Love when it is offered to me.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 04:49:35 PM
It was fun to hear Alisdair with a hoarse voice and great to get some extra stories (one was a rerun, but live read, so why not). Didn't really care for the intro music.
I am confident that Alisdair can run this. I am also not 100% about Starship Zeta, mostly because I don't like to read E-zines. I started to read Issue 0 though and it looks great.

In general, the only sane reaction to the metacast is of course: yay, Escape Artists! Cheers for another 10 years, and to infinity!

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 09:27:49 AM
Well, If Mothership Zeta is half the 'zine Soundproof EP was, then it would be a great mag. And it actually sounds like it will be better. Though I have to admit, my eZine reading has fallen off to zero over the last couple of years. :(

Thrilled to hear about Cast Of Wonders though.

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

SJJ

• Extern
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 04:41:26 AM
I listen to Cast of Wonders most recent 'cast and they said they were joining Escape Artists. I then came to listen to this metacast, and I was very pleased to hear this confirmed.
I started listening to escapepod 8 to 12 months ago and quickly got hooked on castlepod and pseudopod as well. I subscribed to the RSS feed, and started listening as far back as I could. (I will eventually start from the beginning).
When the previous metacast/fundraising cast came up on my feed, I was very upset as I was 'time travelling' and also not in a position to donate. Thankfully, all the listeners pulled together and EA was able to continue. I have no doubt that all the people within the EA family will make the most of the new expansion, and proceed to even bigger and better things.
You have my sincerest appreciation for ALL the hard work each of you put into the podcast. Thank you,
Sarah from Australia

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Thank you very much, Sarah!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 02:42:03 PM
Yay!  Glad to hear things are going well behind the scenes at EA at this point.  I'm glad that things got sorted out between Al and the other owner in as amicable way as might be hoped. 

I love the idea of Mothership Zeta.  I love the staff.  I love the mission statement.  Diversifying EA's offerings will bring in new people who hadn't followed the company before, and maybe some who have been skeptical of audio fiction will even give the casts a try. 

I'm... not sure I'll actually be able to keep up with it much because I find very little time to consume fiction in any format besides audio.  If I'm sitting at a computer where I might read a zine, then there are probably ten other things that I urgently need to be working on. 

I admit to initially being skeptical about Mothership Zeta (I grew up in the 1990s, the Age of 'Zines) - but I can't resist a Labor of Love when it is offered to me.

These days, online zines get many of the award nominations for the Hugos and Nebulas.  It feels like audio fiction is in the "looked down upon by awards for no good reason" that zines were in some time ago.  I'm hoping that EA's excellent work will help shift that around in the same way that Strange Horizons and Clarkesworld helped make zines a more respected medium.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 02:54:29 PM

These days, online zines get many of the award nominations for the Hugos and Nebulas.  It feels like audio fiction is in the "looked down upon by awards for no good reason" that zines were in some time ago.  I'm hoping that EA's excellent work will help shift that around in the same way that Strange Horizons and Clarkesworld helped make zines a more respected medium.

Also Year's Best anthologies - most won't consider stories unless they're words on paper or a screen.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 03:13:12 AM
Just dropping by to say that I enjoyed the metacast, and am so glad that everything is going well behind the scenes. :) I've loved Cast of Wonders since it began, and think it's the perfect fit to join the EA family. I'm looking forward to finally getting to discuss their stories with other listeners, haha!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 03:18:44 PM

These days, online zines get many of the award nominations for the Hugos and Nebulas.  It feels like audio fiction is in the "looked down upon by awards for no good reason" that zines were in some time ago.  I'm hoping that EA's excellent work will help shift that around in the same way that Strange Horizons and Clarkesworld helped make zines a more respected medium.

Also Year's Best anthologies - most won't consider stories unless they're words on paper or a screen.

Really?  I hadn't realized that, I guess.  Sad and shortsighted, IMO.  Boggles my mind that science fiction awards and institutions look down on "new" technology for story distribution that's not even all that new anymore.  A story's a story.  If that story gets to its audience, then why look down on that?

Chairman Goodchild

• Peltast
Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 01:06:22 PM
Now that I know the first podcast that Escape Artists is planning on absorbing into its ever-expanding gelatinous cube, I really hope the second one is the one I'm thinking of.  

Because there's another podcast out there that I've been listening to for quite awhile, and it really needs some love right now, because I think it's in danger of podcast decay after many years.  It occupies a unique niche that I really think Escape Artists needs, and it has a really unique voice.  Also, it's the Drabblecast.  

So, whatever the second podcast that Escape Artists brings on board, I hope that whatever Drabblecast can fill it is in a unique position that only the second Drabblecast podcast is able to.  

Whatever podcast that may be.  

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 03:11:32 PM
Now that I know the first podcast that Escape Artists is planning on absorbing into its ever-expanding gelatinous cube, I really hope the second one is the one I'm thinking of.  

Because there's another podcast out there that I've been listening to for quite awhile, and it really needs some love right now, because I think it's in danger of podcast decay after many years.  It occupies a unique niche that I really think Escape Artists needs, and it has a really unique voice.  Also, it's the Drabblecast.  

So, whatever the second podcast that Escape Artists brings on board, I hope that whatever Drabblecast can fill it is in a unique position that only the second Drabblecast podcast is able to.  

I'm not privy to any information on the subject, but I'd be quite happy to see Drabblecast aboard.  It has long been an honorary weird uncle of EA anyway, and it already shares staff with Escape Pod.

Witchlander

• Peltast
Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 04:20:28 PM

Is that a thing that might happen? Because I love Drabblecast with all my gnarled and twisted heart and I've been worried about it. Hoping...

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 03:01:47 AM
"Honorary weird uncle of EA" Ha! Sums it up perfectly ;D I too hope this happens.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 03:17:07 AM
"Honorary weird uncle of EA" Ha! Sums it up perfectly ;D I too hope this happens.

I'll second that...though it won't be as easy making a "List of Drabblecast episodes" as it was to do Cast of Wonders.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 08:48:42 PM

I'll second that...though it won't be as easy making a "List of Drabblecast episodes" as it was to do Cast of Wonders.

For real! Surely that list must exist somewhere?

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 03:46:45 AM

For real! Surely that list must exist somewhere?

If it does, y'all know how to get my attention, I hope!

(A link here or something to tcallin@escapeartists.net would be great!)

Even if that rumor doesn't pan out, any Drabblecast fans who like to tinker with wikis are welcome to embellish what we have here.

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 12:13:30 PM
The closest I know of to a comprehensive list of Drabblecast episodes is the links list on the Drabblecast forum. But you may try asking Scattercat or Norm himself, since it's very possible one of 'em has a spreadsheet for most of the info you'd need.

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 03:50:22 PM
OMG, why is no-one mentioning the Flash Fiction piece from this metacast? Is this not the place to discuss it? It was awesome! So funny and clever. I totally loved it!

And thanks for letting us know what the management is up to. As you can see, I listen to the metacasts, even when I am two years behind....

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 06:33:12 PM
OMG, why is no-one mentioning the Flash Fiction piece from this metacast? Is this not the place to discuss it? It was awesome! So funny and clever. I totally loved it!

And thanks for letting us know what the management is up to. As you can see, I listen to the metacasts, even when I am two years behind....

You're right - it WAS awesome!

I sometimes hate falling behind, but then I get to enjoy catching up. I guess it evens out.  :)