Author Topic: Too Many Ideas, but, one at a time perhaps?  (Read 15275 times)

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
on: April 08, 2008, 04:59:55 AM
I have so many ideas! I have a notepad I take to work as I wire data directly to my mind via iPod and my ears all day that I write down what ever idea comes into my head. My job is mainly not very brain intensive, so I have a lot of time to think and listen to podcasts and audiobooks (There's a reasonably new and fangled full cast production of Dune out, BTW) and write down ideas as they come. On the other hand, super busy with many 12 hour days and working Saturdays so I don't actually get a lot of writing done. I hope to do more when it slows down.

One author said this though, if you have only 1 minutes a day to write, write 15 minutes a day. I have the time for at least a small amount a day, I just need to use it.

I do have some stories rolling around and have even started one with a working title of Slightly Speakable and is at around 450 words. It is in mainly a diary reading form, so even if I wrote one entry a day, I could finish it before too many days. I am hoping to get it published on one of the many podcasts I listen too and I am even writing it specifically to be read aloud.

Anyone who wishes, feel free to send my harassing emails to remind me to write, even if just for a few minutes a day. Also, I can't let writing all my ideas in my WikiPad program count as writing, either. I do recommend the program though to keep your ideas organized.

Current Progress:

Slightly Speakable: 450 words. Goal: 2000+ words.

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 05:15:33 AM
Sadly, I haven't got hardly any work done on that story, but I did submit a 100 word drabble story to The Drabblecast. It was rejected, but I got the reasons why, and I may try to fix it, or I may just scrap it, for it is hard to get to many things across in a 100 word story, and it may be too complex.

I have also written several stories on my fiction blog site.

smartbombradio

• Peltast
  • Clthulhu loves me, this I know!
    • One Eighteen: Migration
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:10:59 PM
Honestly, I never write down my ideas.  I tend to let ideas come and go, and then work on the ones that keep coming back to me. 

It's true though, that the more you write the better your writing will be.  If you're looking for bitesized writing practice, you might want to check out the 100 word stories podcast that Laurence Simon does. 

He does a weekly writing challenge of a story that has to be exactly 100 words long.  You get a topic every week. (http://podcasting.isfullofcrap.com/)

Flash fiction is good to do when your busy, try knocking out a few short "O'Henryesque" stories just to practice your craft.  (Or just wing it like I do and cover up the suck-spots with SFX :P)

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 03:05:54 PM
I've heard about that podcast, then forgot about it. There is so many!

I just got a request to help make a webcomic from someone who read my site. That will be interesting.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 05:17:37 AM
I wrote a 100 word story for the 100 word stories podcast. I'll record it later this week.

I've also started finishing a story that is an ongoing serial on my site and editing it up from it's original state which started on a forum, moved to my site (after some editing) and will become a complete story after finishing it up and more editing, and then it shall most likely be my first story submitted anywhere to sell (to podcasts as a first choice for this story)! Then I shall receive all the rejections and go AUGH!!! then write more stuff {;0D I'm finding this more manageable, editing and finishing a almost done story, than creating a whole new one. I'm excited about it!

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 07:28:00 AM
I finished the first draft of my had-been-in-the-works for a long time short story! I need to clean it up and see if I still like how I ended it when it isn't midnight.

Look for my drabble, Golden Boy, in this Saturday's 100 Word Stories podcast.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 09:34:27 PM
I submitted my story to Escape Pod. I think I almost chewed off my finger in the process. It is my first submission of note. Now I am waiting and wondering about all the things that may or may not be wrong with my story {O..O}

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 09:45:53 PM
Congrats on getting the submission in, man.  Good luck!

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 01:42:51 AM
Today I had a stellar idea for the comic Jump Leads. I've emailed the creator, Ben Paddon, back and forth a few times about writing for them, but I never had an idea, but I got one today at work and thank God I had my notebook with me. {:0D

I emailed Ben but no word back yet, and still waiting to head from EP, but I'm not expecting a reply for a while, but I still check my email every chance I can get {:0p

Thanks for the support!

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 05:22:01 AM
I just wrote about 1400 words of the Jump Leads script in about an hour. I got many of the details, almost all, and now I'll need to edit it into page length sections that all end with the beginning of an action, a joke punchline, or a cliffhanger. Whew.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 06:46:36 AM
I wrote a 1000ish word story today to raise awareness about JOGLE, a 9 day bike ride to raise fnds for Alzheimer's research. Read my story here and also find links to the JOGLE page.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 06:42:55 PM
It got rejected, but only took 1 day! That was nice I didn't have to wait forever. I submitted it to The Drabblecast this morning.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 01:12:33 AM
Got a rejection from Escape Pod. I can't say I'm terribly surprised. The story might not be meaty enough? The rejection didn't say anything special about it, just that it wasn't what they wanted. I'm sure I'll find a place for it.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 04:33:20 PM
Sorry to hear that, Chivalrybean.  Do you know what you're going to do next with it?

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 01:31:14 AM
Next in line is The Drabblecast. I need to wait for a reply on another story first, though.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 07:31:58 AM
I just started the COOLEST STORY EVER!!!!

Well, that I have written, anyways.

I meant to work for about 15-20 minutes and it's been 2 hours and over 1000 words, and I should sleep, but I can't! The story is eating my brain, I must get it out!

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 02:07:24 AM
I finished the COOLEST STORY EVER! am pretty happy with it.

Is it about 3k words. I focused on character growth, so that is why I like it. I had the idea, but it was lacking something, then while listening to Michael A. Stackpole's The Secrets podcast he mentioned that a character needs to grow so you should create a growth arc. Using that advice I crafted a story that I am happy with. More happy then my first completed short story which I now realize has lots of neat situations, is funny, and has zero character growth. It makes me sad. Maybe I can do a re-write to include growth down the line.

I'm doing a fairly decent job writing every day, even if only a bit.

Now I am going to write a story for the 100 Word Stories Podcast. It is going to be hilarious.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 11:43:45 AM
Just submitted my space turtle story to The Drabblecast. I wonder if it is strange enough.

I like the story, but I learned a lot since I wrote it, and realized that while a lot of neat stuff happens, there is no real character growth. On the plus, it really could be a chapter of a larger story, but is nice and complete on its own.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 12:33:19 PM
Update: I've gotten around 1600 words down for my Android Story, last night wrote 1195 words to complete a first draft of my Aquatic Monster story. I wrote that for the Drabblecast.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 01:29:19 AM
After about a week or so of thinking I write total crap, I'm back to editing my stories.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 12:34:31 AM
The overall comments on my Dragon story is people like it and want more of it, more details, more action, more more more. I take that as a compliment {:0)

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 05:58:34 AM
Dragon story DONE! Edited, I like the final rewrite. I addressed most or all of the major issues anyone pointed out that I felt needed changed, added more to the beginning and end, hopefully gave the characters more life, added more details to the action, and I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY with it.

:)
 :D
 ;D
 8)