Author Topic: Mr. Wizard exits stage right at 89  (Read 5592 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: June 13, 2007, 02:10:08 AM
From the LA Times Obit

Don Herbert, who explained the wonderful world of science to millions of young baby boomers on television in the 1950s and '60s as "Mr. Wizard" and did the same for another generation of youngsters on the Nickelodeon cable TV channel in the 1980s, died Tuesday. He was 89.

Herbert died at his home in Bell Canyon after a long battle with multiple myeloma, said Tom Nikosey, Herbert's son-in-law.

A low-key, avuncular presence who wore a white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a tie, Herbert launched his weekly half-hour science show for children on NBC in 1951.

Broadcast live from Chicago on Saturdays the first few years and then from New York City, "Watch Mr. Wizard" ran for 14 years.

Herbert used basic experiments to teach scientific principles to his TV audience via an in-studio guest boy or girl who assisted in the experiments.

"I was a grade school kid in the '50s and watched 'Mr. Wizard' Saturday mornings and was just glued to the television," said Nikosey, president of Mr. Wizard Studios, which sells Herbert's science books and TV shows on DVD.

"The show just heightened my curiosity about science and the way things worked," Nikosey said. "I learned an awful lot from him, as did millions of other kids."

By 1955, there were about 5,000 Mr. Wizard Science Clubs nationwide, with more than 100,000 members.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 03:27:06 AM

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 02:19:09 PM

Zathras

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 07:44:12 PM

"I was a grade school kid in the '50s and watched 'Mr. Wizard' Saturday mornings and was just glued to the television," said Nikosey, president of Mr. Wizard Studios, which sells Herbert's science books and TV shows on DVD.

Great stuff.  I was a grade school kid in the '70's in a Catholic School and my science education was lacking to say the least.  Evolution?  The fossil record?  No time for that.  We were taught that the bible could explain the make up of the world.  My eyes were opened when I finally got out of there and learned some real science.   We need more people like Mr. Wizard educating our younger citizens.   

I am now married to a science teacher who gets calls from upset parents whose views of science are more in line with the year 1907 than 2007.   With all the fascinating scientific developments these days it is a shame that people can remain close-minded.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:31:13 AM

Great stuff.  I was a grade school kid in the '70's in a Catholic School and my science education was lacking to say the least.  Evolution?  The fossil record?  No time for that.  We were taught that the bible could explain the make up of the world.  My eyes were opened when I finally got out of there and learned some real science.   We need more people like Mr. Wizard educating our younger citizens.   

I am now married to a science teacher who gets calls from upset parents whose views of science are more in line with the year 1907 than 2007.   With all the fascinating scientific developments these days it is a shame that people can remain close-minded.

Well, they have their own museum now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/n1c0star/sets/72157600335006271/show/

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 05:07:53 PM
Here's something from Scientific American.

Zathras

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 03:11:09 AM

Creationist museum?

Unbeliveable!  I've seen it all now.  Loved the plaques on some of the displays. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 03:14:10 AM by Zathras »