Author Topic: Pseudopod 042: Full Moon Over 1600  (Read 14193 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Re: Pseudopod 042: Full Moon Over 1600
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 02:22:28 PM »
As I understand it, the consumption tax you describe is what is referred to as the FAIR tax.  The flat tax is just everybody paying a flat percentage.
Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

robertmarkbram

• Palmer
    • The Blog for Rob
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 01:13:08 AM »
I can understand why a lot of people here were bothered about the politics and tax issues in the story. Christopher Michael Cummings hit a nerve with that. I certainly have a different perspective on those story elements.

I was aware that the story's politics was meant to place the story firmly in the current time period, although the empty political rhetoric mentioned by wakela can be used to describe the outpourings of all politicians throughout the ages with verisimilitude. For me this added to the satire and irony of the story. It didn't hit a nerve. I tend to think politics and politicians of all varieties are ripe for this.

My advice for Mr Cummings: next time, make him a zombie. Everything is better with zombies.

jscorbett

• Extern
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 04:00:42 AM »
I felt it to be a fun, lighthearted horror story.  So I guess that doesn't really make a horror story.  I wasn't scared, or sitting on the edge of my seat, but it was still amusing.  Of course I was day dreaming about the possibilities of knowing when someone wasn't a good person.  Oh, the possibilities.....

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 05:46:12 PM »
Blech. Worst Pseudopod story so far, and only one of 3 that I didn't finish listening to. 

The premise, turning the president into a werewolf is great, but that's pretty much the only positive thing I have to say about this story.

This wasn't a horror story about politics, this was a political story with a werewolf written in to broaden its potential markets.  If the story had anything to say that I haven't heard a million times, maybe I could've liked it.  Even if it had preached its heavy handed messages while remaining true to its own premise, I might not have hated it.

The voice acting was really distracting.  Seriously, why the Clint Eastwood voice?

The opening scene was poorly set up.  They're all sitting around discussing politics for several minutes before anyone bothers to mention his obvious lycanthropy.  I mean, they'd mentioned the bite at the beginning, but there had been no hint of his odd appearance before that moment.  Suddenly I had to completely pull out of the story to rearrange the image in my head, never a good thing.

The president publicly commits murder and cannibalism on live TV, and not a bad word is said about it?  Pedophile or not, murder is murder, and cannibalism is cannibalism.  I enjoyed the sudden turn of events there, but was really disappointed when it fell back into political discussions the next day, as though no one had seen it happen.

So, the president is infected with lycanthropy, but instead of hungering for human flesh, he hungers for... second opinions?  Seriously?  If you're going to use a well known element like lycanthropy, at least make it make sense in its own context.  I'm not saying he has to behave exactly like the Wolfman, but his lycanthrope characteristics should be attributable in some way to wolfishness, which is not something I associate with economics and informed opinions.

Now, if someone wrote a story about a president becoming werewolf that didn't cram a political message down my throat, and if it actually made sense, THAT story I would like to hear.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 06:30:31 PM »
I wasn't particularly thrilled by this story. I felt that many of the voices were unnecessary, or could have been more consistent. The horror aspect felt an afterthought to the weak political commentary/satire. I'm ok with commentary in my stories, but it felt like the podcast equivalent of a political cartoon that was published on Halloween.

Pseudopod walks a fine line on where some of the stories belong. I think they missed with this one.
All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”