Author Topic: A Question About Links  (Read 5779 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: October 25, 2015, 09:30:16 PM
So as some of you may or may not have noticed, I've been including links to each story within the polls.  The idea is you can click on the story name to refresh your memory right from the poll page.  This is, however, extra work and I'm wondering if people actually use it.  Even if only one person finds it helpful I'll continue doing it, but if it's completely ignored then there's no point in doing it!

Let me know what you all think.  Either way, I'll finish out this contest with links in each poll for consistency's sake.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 09:32:19 PM
Me! Me! I find it useful!!!

Was extremely surprised and gratified to find out about this by accident. A little disappointed that it's more work for you, though. I certainly won't perish without it.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 09:37:29 PM
It's not that much more work, just an extra step I do that I'm wondering about

I've used it myself for certain reasons, quick referencing, etc.  I like it and I'm wondering who else if anyone does.

Glad to know you like it!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Not-a-Robot

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 09:47:00 PM
I used it once or twice.

eytanz

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 10:55:24 PM
I've found it very helpful.

I kind of also wish you didn't do it because now I'll have to do it when it's time for the Escape Pod contest, and I know that it is extra work. ;)

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 11:29:53 PM
It's trez useful. Thank you ;)

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 12:47:06 AM
I've used it quite a bit, especially when I'm unable to finish out a group in a single evening, having the links can be essential when looking back at stories from a day or two earlier.

AKNicolle

• Extern
    • The Fiction & Apps of Andrew Nicolle
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 03:48:00 AM
The links are great time-savers. Please keep them if possible!

Andrew Nicolle
Speculative Fiction Writer / Developer of Story Tracker - a Submission Tracking tool for Writers (iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch / Mac / PC)

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 09:19:57 AM
I also find them quite useful.
In round one I'd open all stories and go through them, then vote. In round two, I look at my notes on the stories and then will click on some of the links in the poll as a reminder. So the further the contest goes, the more important the links become!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 12:23:18 PM
Extremely helpful, in my opinion.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 02:00:50 PM
I've used it in every round and have found it very helpful from the voting side.

Generally I use it when a story has a not particularly evocative title.  If I read a title like "Subcutaneous" I know exactly what that is without looking.  But if I read a title like "Stephanie" I have to click through to remember which story titled after a female name it is.  (In contests like this, and also in general, having an evocative title is an underrated feature of a story)

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 02:01:48 PM
Umm... This is going to be a complicated answer. Sorry about that.

I haven't actually used the links, but I still think they're a good idea. I use something similar in my writing group when I want to break something up into instalments without hogging the board. I put the threads out of the way on another part of the forum, and post links from a single thread in the main board. That's basically what you do, except that you have the story threads in the same forum, so I open them from there before I even look at the poll thread.

But the links are clearly a popular move anyway. :)

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 12:35:22 AM
Every. Single. Poll. I use the links.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Chicken Ghost

• Matross
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 04:49:23 AM
So as some of you may or may not have noticed, I've been including links to each story within the polls.  The idea is you can click on the story name to refresh your memory right from the poll page.  This is, however, extra work and I'm wondering if people actually use it.  Even if only one person finds it helpful I'll continue doing it, but if it's completely ignored then there's no point in doing it!

Let me know what you all think.  Either way, I'll finish out this contest with links in each poll for consistency's sake.

I was using them, too.