Author Topic: Pseudopod 462: Flash On The Borderlands XXIX: Monsters  (Read 4725 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: October 31, 2015, 04:44:09 PM
Pseudopod 462: Flash On The Borderlands XXIX: Monsters

“But the problem is to make the soul into a monster” – Arthur Rimbaud

Habeas Corpus” by Julia Watson

“Habeas Corpus” is original to PseudoPod.

JULIA WATSON is a freelance writer and editor, and a graduate of UCR’s Palm Desert Low-Residency MFA program in Creative Writing, where she studied screenwriting and fiction. She lives near San Diego, CA and is currently at work on a TV pilot script and a YA fantasy novel. She also has an indie short film, FOREVER HOLLYWOOD (a 16-minute zombie movie she co-wrote and assistant produced). For more info and updates about the film, see its Facebook Page. And you can find her on Twitter at @wordnerditis.

Your reader – Kaitie Radel – is a music education student and aspiring voice actress, has been voice acting as a hobby for two years. In addition to this project, she has participated as both a VA and administrator in several fan projects such as The Homestuck Musical Project and Ava’s Melodies. She can be contacted at kaitlynradel at mail.usf.edu.

Bottom of the breath, I aim and squeeze. CRACK. Mr. Johnson, our next-door neighbor, falls. Goes still. His noisy mutt, the one you hated, used to welcome me at the end of his chain with rough fur and a wet tongue to wash my salt away. I’m glad that dog’s not here.

Another. A woman—hard to tell who. I fire. As her ruined face explodes into mist, I whisper my thanks to the fool who built a gazebo on this ugly spit of land overlooking Rustridge Canyon—named for the five generations’ worth of scrap refuse the town tossed into it. You’d say I was crazy, boxing myself in, but alone, it’s the only way to get this done.

Monster” by Mike Allen

“Monster” first appeared in Nameless Magazine, Issue 3, Spring 2014. “I got the idea while watching a documentary on the origins of fractals.”

MIKE ALLEN is the editor of the anthology series Clockwork Phoenix and the digital journal Mythic Delirium. His first novel, THE BLACK FIRE CONCERTO, a post-apocalyptic tale of music, magic and flesh-eating ghouls, was published last year by Haunted Stars Press, and he’s written a sequel, THE GHOULMAKER’S ARIA. His website is Descent Into Light and his publisher website is Mythic Delirium.com. His first collection of horror stories, UNSEAMING (with a gracious introduction by Laird Barron, Thomas Ligotti called it “seriously unnerving fun”) was released by Antimatter Press in 2014. (Unseaming contains all four stories that have appeared on Pseudopod – “The Button Bin,”, “The Blessed Days”, “Let There Be Darkness” & “Monster”) and also contains the 19k sequel to Button Bin, “The Quiltmaker.”

Your reader – Ben Kohanski is new to Pseudopod and Escape Artists!

“Since I grew tall enough to sit at a classroom desk, I’ve longed to be a monster. There is no reason for this that you or your friends in the department will ever be able to find, should you have an opportunity to delve into my history. My mother and father loved each other. They were neither too lenient nor too strict. The bullies in my school, the ones who introduced my fellow gifted students to cycles of humiliation and pain, paid no attention to me at all. My teachers never singled me out for praise or discipline.”

Stillborn” by Nina Kiriki Hoffman

“Stillborn” originally appeared in the first BORDERLANDS anthology from 1990 edited by Thomas F. Monteleone

In the past thirty-plus years NINA KIRIKI HOFFMAN has sold around ten novels and more than three hundred short stories. Her work has been on final ballots for the World Fantasy, Mythopoeic, Endeavour, and other awards, and she has won a Nebula and a Stoker Award. She works on production for the MAGAZINE OF FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION, teaches a short stories writing class for her local community college, and picks up other odd jobs..

Your Reader, Brian Rollins is a voice actor and writer living in Highlands Ranch, Colorado where he lives with his wife and two kids. When not talking to himself in his sound booth, he’s at his day job as a web developer or on stage with Magic Moments, a theatre company that works with people with special needs and creates a new musical every March. You can find out what he’s up to on his website, VOICES IN MY HEAD.

Hugh found it in the shallow grave his mother had dug behind the house. He kept it wrapped in cotton above a heat register in the attic, where the dry warmth would preserve it without rotting it. Once it had mummified, he locked his bedroom door and took it out to look at, nights after his mother had gone to bed. When lie shook it, its brain rattled inside its tiny skull like a pea in a gourd. “Little brother,” he would whisper, staring into its sunken leathery face. “Little brother.”

Make sure to head over to the forums and vote in our Flash Fiction Contest.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Tim Tylor

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 01:39:16 AM
If it addresses you as "Elder" anything, it's up to no good. That rule has yet to let me down.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 04:39:57 PM
Habeus Corpus

I thought this was a reasonably well-done zombie story, enough to overcome my fatigue with the trope.  The particular detail I thought was most effective was how the mother hadn't killed the zombified... (was it one of her daughters?  Now I don't remember)... not because she didn't have the nerves to kill a familiar zombie, but because she couldn't stand the thought of being alone and choosing the companionship of that familiar zombie to self-preservation.    That was a really striking moment for me.

I don't get the title.  A joke about "corpus"-->"corpse" maybe?  "is a legal action or writ by means of which detainees can seek relief from unlawful imprisonment."  Is that talking about the relief of being killed and relieved of zombiehood?

Monster

It was an interesting idea, but I... guess I don't find the irrational nature of fractals even remotely scary.  They're interesting, certainly.  I'm not sure if this is accurate but it seems less that a fractal edge has an infinite length, and more that their length can't be measured exactly but which seems like it should asymptotically approach a limit.  Pi can't be exactly calculated either, but that doesn't meant that it's value is infinite, it is definitely less than 3.15.

I don't know.  I can't think of any math concept that I find scary.  Maybe the closest is to consider the scale of humanity's place in the universe.

Stillborn

Ugh, nicely creepy, whether Little Brother is actually a dark manifestation or a figment of Big Brother's imagination.

Not-a-Robot

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 11:04:24 AM
Habeus Corpus

A joke about "corpus"-->"corpse" maybe?  "is a legal action or writ by means of which detainees can seek relief from unlawful imprisonment." 

Habeus Corpus is literally translated as "You shall have the body"

As for the stories,
I am always lukewarm on zombie stories, so this was not any different. 

Monster was an interesting idea, the infinite contained within the finite.

Stillborn = eww, not my thing, but well done. 

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 02:35:50 PM
Habeus Corpus is literally translated as "You shall have the body"

Oh!  Okay, I can see that then.  Well, I'm not actually sure what the phrase is referring to specifically, but I could make a couple guesses.

embrodski

• Extern
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 05:52:37 PM
Hi, I'm a new poster, I had to come here because Ben Kohanski's voice (reader of Monster) is intoxicating! Who is he? Has he done other reading or voice work in the past?

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 02:50:55 AM

Monster

It was an interesting idea, but I... guess I don't find the irrational nature of fractals even remotely scary.  They're interesting, certainly.  I'm not sure if this is accurate but it seems less that a fractal edge has an infinite length, and more that their length can't be measured exactly but which seems like it should asymptotically approach a limit.  Pi can't be exactly calculated either, but that doesn't meant that it's value is infinite, it is definitely less than 3.15.

It's been a long time since I wandered around the mathematics of fractals, but IIRC, it is actually correct that the edge of a fractal pattern has an infinite length.  Essentially, since the edge is continually folding in and around itself on continually shrinking scale, and since it's 1 dimensional (a line with no width) it would be like drawing a stack of lines connected end-on-end within a defined sheet of 2 dimensional paper.  You can stack an infinite number of those lines atop one another because they have no width. Every turn adds additional length to the edge of the pattern and, while I couldn't summon up the proof of it, it does approach infinity, and not a set value.  It just does so very slowly...

Extrapolating surreal math information into a horror story is great.  Not quite sure how I like the execution, but conceptually, this was really interesting.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 03:13:37 PM

Monster

It's been a long time since I wandered around the mathematics of fractals, but IIRC, it is actually correct that the edge of a fractal pattern has an infinite length.  Essentially, since the edge is continually folding in and around itself on continually shrinking scale, and since it's 1 dimensional (a line with no width) it would be like drawing a stack of lines connected end-on-end within a defined sheet of 2 dimensional paper.  You can stack an infinite number of those lines atop one another because they have no width. Every turn adds additional length to the edge of the pattern and, while I couldn't summon up the proof of it, it does approach infinity, and not a set value.  It just does so very slowly...

Extrapolating surreal math information into a horror story is great.  Not quite sure how I like the execution, but conceptually, this was really interesting.

Hmm....  I'm no expert.  If you're right... I don't really find the concept scaring or daunting. 

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 03:44:53 PM
Hi, I'm a new poster, I had to come here because Ben Kohanski's voice (reader of Monster) is intoxicating! Who is he? Has he done other reading or voice work in the past?

If you check this wiki on pseudopod (you can expand the list of episode) it shows that he apparently hasn't done anything for this podcast yet.

FeloniusMonk

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 09:12:04 PM
I thought Habeus Corpus was a better than average zombie story but I am so burnt out on the whole genre I struggled to enjoy it.

Reaching back into my repressed math brain MCWagner is right about infinite edge lengths... But being an engineer I get to call them finite at any measurable resolution. Yay for reasonable approximation! Monster was a bit spoiled for me by the loop of Mandelbrot Set (Jonathan Coulton) playing in my head.

I loved Stillborn. All kinds of wrong and skin crawling creepy in the best possible ways.

spiritualtramp

• Extern
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 02:30:41 PM
Stillborn was the most effective one in this trio for me.

That's not to say the other's weren't good. Monster worked mostly due to the reader I think. He had the right mix of menace and pomposity. And HC was a very good zombie story. I suffer from Shambler Fatigue too, but the addition of the family dynamics made it perfect.