Author Topic: Vampire Lit  (Read 16506 times)

Russell Nash

on: June 17, 2007, 01:30:17 PM
NPR had a story about the growing vampire genre in literature.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 08:10:01 PM
Thanks for that.  I just listened to this.  I haven't read any of the new wave of vampire books mentioned, although I've heard of all of them (except for Fangland).  I really want to read some of Christopher Moore's and Charlaine Harris's stuff.  I'm unsure about Charlie Huston for several reasons, but I'll probably try out one of his vampire detective books one day.

Anyone read any of them?  Thoughts?

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 08:17:40 PM

Man, I hope this translates into short story markets opening up to vampire stories that don't have some whacked-out storytelling prerequisites, like have to have a romance between a vampire woman and a moral man, or have to be set in space, or have to feature only extraterrestrial vampires...

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 07:21:22 AM

Man, I hope this translates into short story markets opening up to vampire stories that don't have some whacked-out storytelling prerequisites, like have to have a romance between a vampire woman and a moral man, or have to be set in space, or have to feature only extraterrestrial vampires...

Ooh, ooh, ooh, A terraforming ship where one of the settlers was bitten right before suspended animation.  The suspended animation makes it so that the effects are slow to evolve.  Strange things start to happen once the crew is awakened two weeks before landing.

Anyone who can write is free to take this idea.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 12:51:44 PM
Thanks for that.  I just listened to this.  I haven't read any of the new wave of vampire books mentioned, although I've heard of all of them (except for Fangland).  I really want to read some of Christopher Moore's and Charlaine Harris's stuff.  I'm unsure about Charlie Huston for several reasons, but I'll probably try out one of his vampire detective books one day.

I have read all of Christopher Moore's novels.  They are usually quite humerous and filled with satire along the lines of Carl Hiaasen.
Note that You Suck is a sequal to Blood Sucking Fiends:A love Story.  You Suck ties a lot of his stories together, with appearances of scenes from other books, where characters interacted.  There is a scene in that from the perspective of it's central character, that is same scene from Dirty Job, which in Dirty Job is told from the perspective of it's central character, but dialog exchange is exactly the same.  If you haven't read Dirty Job it's not a requirement, it's just a neat little trick if you have read it.

Charlaine Harris's stuff centers around a female character who is telepathic.  She started dating a vampire, in part because she couldn't hear his thoughts, and then each book has her in some kind of mystery/adventure due to her relationships with Vampires, were-creatures, etc.  I enjoy them, but I prefer Laurell K. Hamilton (closest author I can think of with similar plots).

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 04:26:41 PM
Does anyone have a link to this from their site?

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 05:31:02 PM
Does anyone have a link to this from their site?

If you mean the story, click NPR in my original post.

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 05:52:14 PM
Cool, thanks.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 05:37:52 PM
For a (so far in my experience) unique take on vampires, read The World On Blood by Jonathan Nasaw.  The book has its flaws -- it's a little too long, it reads more like several novellas rather than a single book, and the final battle almost feels a little tacked on -- but overall I found it very enjoyable.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 05:55:07 PM
For a (so far in my experience) unique take on vampires, read The World On Blood by Jonathan Nasaw.  The book has its flaws -- it's a little too long, it reads more like several novellas rather than a single book, and the final battle almost feels a little tacked on -- but overall I found it very enjoyable.

it's sequel Shadows wasn't bad either.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 12:50:43 AM

Eh... I don't know... I could buy the whole vampire thing because vampires aren't real.  But what the author did to wicca and paganism in that book made me cringe.  Plus, well... I was going to post a spoiler but for some reason I can't get the text to come up tiny, so I won't.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 09:12:53 PM

Eh... I don't know... I could buy the whole vampire thing because vampires aren't real.  But what the author did to wicca and paganism in that book made me cringe.  Plus, well... I was going to post a spoiler but for some reason I can't get the text to come up tiny, so I won't.
True he did take liberties and cast them both in a somewhat negative light, but he also did that to a lesser extent in the world on blood iirc (it's been several years since I read it, and for some reason I can't find my copy of either book so *shrug*...)  I still liked the story over all.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 09:40:54 PM

Yeah I had to review No Dominion, the second Huston Joe Pitt novel this month.  It's pretty good actually, although my latent gamer gene was going 'This would make a great Vampire campaign' for much of it.  It's pleasantly...earthy for a vampire novel, very street level, very nasty.  Imagine Mike Hammer with fangs and you're basically there.

You in England by the way?  Because if you, PM me your address and I'll send it over if you're interested.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 10:04:52 PM
Thanks, but no, I'm in the States.  Much appreaciate the thought, though :) I'm sure I'll check one of them out sometime, because despite the way they buckle, my bookshelves have not yet broken from their overcapacity. 

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 10:18:45 PM
No worries:)  And when they buckle, just stack the books in piles on the floor!  Works for me and you get free furniture;)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 06:46:55 PM
It's not lit, but I had the opportunity to catch "Night Watch" (originally "Nochnoy Dozor") recently.  <gratuitous plug> It was one of the "Watch Instantly" options through NetFlix. </gratuitous plug>

Gave quite a different backstory to what vampires are, and I enjoyed the way they handled it.  I especially appreciated the amount of thematic ambiguity they managed to leave in.  Since it's a Russian movie, I don't know how much exposure it got here in "The West", but I'd be curious to see what fang-genre enthusiasts think of it.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 07:23:38 PM
It's not lit, but I had the opportunity to catch "Night Watch" (originally "Nochnoy Dozor") recently.  <gratuitous plug> It was one of the "Watch Instantly" options through NetFlix. </gratuitous plug>

Gave quite a different backstory to what vampires are, and I enjoyed the way they handled it.  I especially appreciated the amount of thematic ambiguity they managed to leave in.  Since it's a Russian movie, I don't know how much exposure it got here in "The West", but I'd be curious to see what fang-genre enthusiasts think of it.

Read the book.  The movie was pretty good, but the book goes deeper into the vampire lore, and the payoff for it (in the third book, Twilight Watch) was wortht he wait.

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 10:49:18 PM
I loved Night Watch and was so bummed I missed Day Watch in theaters. I haven't been able to get ahold of the book yet though.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 11:43:05 PM
Looks like finding the book (in English) may be nigh unto implausible; and expensive, even in Russian.  (And my Russian isn't that good.)

I haven't seen Day Watch, yet, but I'm already hoping there are plans for a Twilight film (contingent upon it's earlier recommendation!)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 04:16:05 PM
They had a translation of Daywatch at Borders last night in the SF/F section.  I'm pretty sure you can find English translations in a lot of major bookstores. 

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 07:18:45 PM
A run through Amazon got me this:

Book:
Night Watch (Paperback)by Sergei Lukyanenko
Day Watch (Paperback)by Sergei Lukyanenko
Twilight Watch (Paperback)by Sergei Lukyanenko

DVD:
Night Watch (2004)
Day Watch (Unrated) (2006)

Do not watch the films until after you've completely read Night Watch.

The second film borrows partially from the first Day Watch story as well.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 12:19:36 PM
A run through Amazon got me this:

Book:
Night Watch (Paperback)by Sergei Lukyanenko
Day Watch (Paperback)by Sergei Lukyanenko
Twilight Watch (Paperback)by Sergei Lukyanenko

DVD:
Night Watch (2004)
Day Watch (Unrated) (2006)

weeerd... I did a search in amazon, amazon.co.uk, and half.com the other day before making my comment, and only found Russian language copies for upwards of 60 bones.

Now we just need the wife's new paycheck to start coming in!  :)

shwankie

Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 09:51:54 PM
Okay, I admit it: vampire fic of all ilk is one of my life's biggest guilty pleasures: movies, books, comics, gory, space opera, philosophical, romantic, horrifying, etc. Doesn't matter, I love it all. Well, all except Dracula 3000--there's two hours of my life I'll never get back. I can't wait to listen to that article.

I like Charlaine Harris' stuff. It's fun, and if you're out for mind candy it's a hoot. My current absolute favorite, however, is one I haven't yet seen here: "Sunshine," by Robin McKinley. To be fair, I like all of her works, partially because she's such a surprise. She's written excellent young adult novels such as "The Hero and the Crown," and does equally well at novels that are definitely adult, like "Deerskin."  "Sunshine" is based on one of the more novel premises I've read recently. I love the details, the realism, the plot, and the non-mysticism of it all. McKinnley is also a master of being a clean writer, which makes her very occasional uses of explatives and/or vulgarities particularly powerful.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 04:24:43 PM
If you like Star Trek and Vampires, you could do worse than to read JM Dillard's "Bloodthirst".

DarkKnightJRK

• Peltast
Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 08:20:35 AM
I'll also agree with the Joe Pitt series by Charlie Huston. Already Dead and No Dominion are excellent books. Imagine if someone took Phillip Marlowe, mixed in vampires and zombies, and dumped them into the filthiest gutter of the modern Manhattan island.

The only thing I didn't like is that Huston seems to like putting diologue in front of dashes instead of quotation marks for some wierd damn reason. Does anyone one else do this? Do they say why?

Also, if you're a comic book fan, I would also recommend Huston's recent work on Marvel's Moon Knight. If you like dark, gritty superhero action with twisted personalities and skitzophrenia, then you'll love this story.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 03:59:23 PM
I've been enjoying the Blood Ties series on Lifetime, which is based on the "Victoria Nelson" stories by Tanya Huff.  I'm meaning to check out the books when I find some free reading time.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 09:28:35 PM
Threadomancy!!!

Just wanted to pipe-up and say I did read one of the Charlie Huston books, Already Dead. I'm not sure why but some part of me really did not want to like this book. However, I was completely smitten by the vampire/zombie noir thing it had going on.  It was way fun and the coolest vampire book I've read since...I don't remember when (though I still haven't read any of Charlaine Harris' stuff.

In a perfect world, Ben Philips would do the audiobook version of this. It's perfect for him.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 12:08:35 AM
Since we're giving this one a bump, I will recommend you do NOT read Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian". For all the setup, the ending is terrible -- blink and you'll miss it -- and the concept could've been executed far better without requiring 700-plus pages.

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 04:11:10 PM
Can I add Poppy Brite's "Lost Souls" to the list as a well worth trying title. It's a nice twist on the genre. I've not read the Charlie Huston, but now have to find the money to go out and buy them though.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.