Author Topic: Award Eligible Pseudopod Fiction 2015  (Read 8232 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
on: November 02, 2015, 07:49:16 PM
So I made one of these posts last year to help Escape Artists in case they wanted to post a list of the award eligible fiction for last year.  Seemed to be useful, so I'm doing it again.
I'm starting a little earlier this time, since Nebula nomination season starts in mid-November.  Of course starting early means that the whole 2015 year hasn't gone by yet, so this is as yet an incomplete list.  I will try to check every week or two to update the list as new episodes go out through the end of the Hugo nomination season for stories that were first published in 2015.  

Feel free to suggest cases where I have incorrectly included a story or a story that I missed and I will try to update the original post to keep it accurate.

I also ask that if anyone uses this as a basis for publishing the list elsewhere, I would ask that you please mention my name as a contributor.

STORIES FIRST PUBLISHED IN PSEUDOPOD IN 2015
“The Three Chimes” by David Longshore
“The Godsmaid Clara and Her Many Smiles” by Sharon Dodge
“The Lady and the Lantern” by Charlotte Nash
“Making Paint as a Means of Permanance” by Jeff Bowles
“Twitcher” by David Tallerman
“The Influence of Thomas Glittio” by Arthur Staaz
“The Discussion of Mimes” by Michael Payne
“Lullabies for a Clockwork Child” by Shane Halbach
“Used” by Sandra Odell
“Fog” by Kristin Luna
“Octavious Bound” by Nathan Ehret
“The Only Child” by Leslie J. Anderson
“Fan Letter to Joe Lansdale” by Adrian Simmons
“Killing Puppies for Aunt Jenny” by Robert Reed
“Coo Coo” by Elan Hold
“Escape From Kroo Bay” by Byron Barton
“Mother” by Lynette Mejia
“The Last Unenlightened Man” by MK Hobson (in EA Metacast, October 2015 Part 3)
“Great Oak” by Jason Rush
“Absolution” by Severity Chase
“My Daily Vampire” by Richard Kellum
“The Ghost of Gold and Grey” by Laura Lam
“Run Forever” by Andrew Reid
“Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing” by Taran Matharu
“Gravemaker” by Edward Cox
“Habeas Corpus” by Julia Watson
"Fear" by Sandra Odell
"Bad Newes From New England" by Moaner T. Lawrence
"Doc" by V.N. Winnick
"The Angel in the Marble" by B.T. Joy

STORIES FIRST PUBLISHED ELSEWHERE IN 2015, BUT REPRINTED IN PSEUDOPOD AFTER THAT
"Favors From Hell" by Zachary Owen, first published in Burn Down the House and Everyone In It
"Unheil" by Kathryn Allen, first published in Typhon: A Monster Anthology (unless it was published in Pantheon before 2015, it's a little unclear)
"Jenny: A Fairy Tale" by Michael Byrne, first published on Static Culture

(last updated 3/30/2016)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:44:52 PM by Unblinking »

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 07:55:02 PM
I've got a spreadsheet. Hit me up by e-mail and I'll send you a copy. That will also remind me to put the final touches on it and get it from 95% complete to 100% complete.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 08:23:37 PM
Also:

SEMIPROZINE
The rules are a bit confusing over the differences between fancast/semiprozine.  But Escape Artists has asked that all their casts be considered as semiprozine for nominations, and I am inclined to follow their suggestion.

EDITOR, SHORT FORM
Shawn Garrett
Alex Hofelich
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:10:23 PM by Unblinking »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 08:25:31 PM
I got the spreadsheet from Fenrix, and found out the rest through the end of the year.

There may be more published in 2016, if those reprints were originally published in 2015.

Hidden in spoiler tags in case you don't want the surprise ruined.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 04:12:09 PM
(Note to self: this list is up to date through end of the year since Fenrix was so good as to provide a list)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 02:36:58 AM
By request, I made this:

http://escape-artists.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Escape_Artists_award_eligible_stories_for_2015

I plan to go back and link to individual stories and flesh out bios for the eligible authors - I won't be offended if any of you beat me to that task!  (Hopefully, I'll be snowed in all weekend WITH power and internet, and I can work on that.)

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 02:53:45 PM
Added:
"Unheil" by Kathryn Allen, first published in Typhon: A Monster Anthology (unless it was published in Pantheon before 2015, it's a little unclear)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 08:45:37 PM
Added:
"Jenny: A Fairy Tale" by Michael Byrne, first published on Static Culture

Since the Hugo nomination deadline is tomorrow, I will stop adding to the 2015 thread now.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 09:03:04 PM

FANCAST
I think Pseudopod is eligible for this category because of weird vagueries in the rules, even though it's pro paying now.  If not ratified in 2016, this category will expire and then Pseudopod will be a Semiprozine.  (Current rules are more than a little bit confusing and also a lot confusing)

As a point of clarification, if any one considers nominating any EA cast, we're asking to be considered for Semiprozine. We could do either, but we all feel we fit better with the fiction magazines than talky podcasts.

Since the Hugo nomination deadline is tomorrow, I will stop adding to the 2015 thread now.

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 09:11:03 PM

FANCAST
I think Pseudopod is eligible for this category because of weird vagueries in the rules, even though it's pro paying now.  If not ratified in 2016, this category will expire and then Pseudopod will be a Semiprozine.  (Current rules are more than a little bit confusing and also a lot confusing)

As a point of clarification, if any one considers nominating any EA cast, we're asking to be considered for Semiprozine. We could do either, but we all feel we fit better with the fiction magazines than talky podcasts.

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Oh yeah, thanks for the clarifier, I'd posted that before EA had posted their preference and hadn't thought to revise that.  I've gone back and edited the post in case someone happens through more recently.