Author Topic: Pseudopod 463: Favors From Hell  (Read 5792 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: November 08, 2015, 07:02:54 PM
Pseudopod 463: Favors From Hell

by Zachary T. Owen

Favors From Hell” is featured in Zachary’s new book from Grindhouse Press, Burn Down The House And Everyone In It.

ZACHARY T. OWEN is the author of BEAUTIES IN THE DEEP and BURN DOWN THE HOUSE AND EVERYONE IN IT. His work has been featured in many print and online magazines. Sometimes he uses a pen name. He is a resident of Pennsylvania. He grew up on Sega Genesis and horror films. You can find him on Twitter.

Your narrator – Misty Dawn describes herself as part warrior and part pacifist, owing to her Comanche and Cherokee heritage. She credits her mother with encouraging her two greatest loves: music and horror, and H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King with teaching her to embrace the darkest corners of her imagination, and to coax those things living within to come out and play. She hopes to create a YouTube channel and is working on redesigning her blog, Deadtime Musings, from Dusk to Misty Dawn, to include short stories of horror, both real and imagined as well as poetry and lyrics, also of a dark nature. A Navy brat who grew up abroad, she settled in San Francisco, attending UC Berkeley, where she received a BA in Drama/Communications.

When I was eight years old I choked on the smoke from my Uncle’s cigar as he drove me to the toy store. My two year old brother slept soundly, buckled into his child safety seat in the back of Ernie’s Desoto.

‘Before we get there I need a favor,’ Ernie said, his mouth wide and his eyes staring at my blouse. He pulled off the road and stopped the car in an alley. ‘It will only take a minute, just you see,’ he promised. He leaned back in his seat and let out a long breath. His cigar smoke filled the car and my lungs.

He was right. It didn’t take long.

Be sure to check out our Fourth Annual Flash Fiction Contest!

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

ChrisK

• Extern
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 05:33:27 AM
The non-horror details are what really brings this story to life for me. The never-ending funeral, the relationship between the sister and brother. I like that it took its time, allowing the reader/listener to grow very attached to the world before the repulsive horror of the ashes struck. A very engaging reading.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 03:11:19 PM
Ugh.  Well done.  Child abuse is a subject that can easily be done wrong, doing it in a way that doesn't feel authentic to real experiences.  This felt very real, so that the point where the supernatural horror became entirely clear, it just fit right in. 

I thought this was very effective.

Lisa3737

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 02:14:20 AM
Very powerful, moving, and sad story.  Excellent narration.

Whaletale

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 03:34:02 PM
Wow, what an excellent story. Narration was spot-on and the subject matter was handled effectively and powerfully.

spiritualtramp

• Extern
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 04:53:38 PM
The narrator NAILED this one. It's hard to say I loved it, but the subject matter was dealt with very deftly.

FeloniusMonk

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 01:10:00 AM
Great writing and reading.
I agree with ChrisK about the details really making it. Everything felt real enough to make the supernatural elements even more disturbing.

crdola11

• Extern
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 08:54:28 PM
Holy Hell what an amazing and chilling tale. The narrator eloquently portrayed (IMO) the author's tone and emphasis beautifully. The subject matter is something hardly written about, a taboo even in this genre. Well done Mr. Owens, I look forward to reading more of your works.

The worst excesses of mankind springs from the all-too-human traits of cruelty, apathy and arrogant misapplication of our own talents. The heroes who triumph in my stories are those who demonstrate the most kindness, common sense and ingenuity.

ciristhan

• Extern
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 04:45:18 PM
I must admit that I didn't like the story at all. I felt that it was just sad, dreary and entirely predictable. From the outset it was obvious that uncle's ashes would come to life again, and it was equally obvious that the siblings would ultimately defeat his restless ghost. After all how could anyone imagine a story that deals with the issue of child abuse ending with the bad guy's victory? That being said, I failed to see the point of the whole affair. The atmosphere was neither exciting, nor scary or funny but only depressing.

Zachary T. Owen

• Extern
Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 11:55:46 PM
Hello everybody, thank you for the feedback. I'm pleased to see that, overall, Favors From Hell has gotten the reaction I intended.

And ciristhan, I appreciate the honest criticism. I certainly didn't think everybody would enjoy this story, and really, it's not a story that can be "enjoyed" anyway. I think your criticisms actually apply in a way that work for those who liked the story, as well. You got me thinking a lot about what I was trying to do. I'll try to illuminate. I rarely do this, but I thought it might be a good challenge.

Yes it is predictable, but I was never really worried about that. The original title was An Incontestable Weight of Ashes. As for not being funny or exciting--I would certainly hope a story about child abuse isn't funny or exciting. I understand the depressing tone turning you off. That makes a lot of sense to me. I probably found the story as depressing to write as you found it to read. For me, sometimes that's the role of fiction--to take us to uncomfortable places and make us think about uncomfortable or depressing things. Admittedly, not everybody wants this in their fiction.

As for the point--maybe I failed there. I would argue the most important function of a narrative is to tell a compelling story. Any points that might be made are secondary. But if I had to say there was a point to Favors from Hell, it is this: predators are often people we know. Classmates. Friends. Relatives. Horror fiction tends to paint them as psychopathic strangers that happen to cross paths with innocent people. Less often are they depicted as people close to their victims by blood or friendship. Beyond that, Favors from Hell is, to me, about trying to face trauma(s) from your past instead of running from them. The trauma never really ceases, but maybe we learn to cope better. I wouldn't say Kalina and her brother really "defeated" their Uncle's ghost because his hold on them may never end. But I tried to give them a little more hope than they had when the story began.

This may interest you: I have written a story in which an abuser "wins" and is never caught. That's also featured in my book, Burn Down The House And Everyone In It. It's from the point of view of the abuser. I've also done humorous stories, too, which are included.

Thanks again for the honest reaction. It's a nice reminder that just because I have a vision that doesn't mean it will translate well for everybody. It's just that sort of thing that pushes me to work harder and explore more.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 01:39:24 PM
Uncle "Urn-ie"

It isn't easy for me to appreciate this kind of story. It's too close to a reality that someone close to me had to experience.

But the powerless feelings here are exactly what I feel trying to deal with it - and it's better to grapple with the themes in fiction than real life.

Moral of the story - of every story like this - is to listen to the victims. Get professional help immediately. Don't make them feel like they have to prove anything.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Third Chakra

• Extern
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 03:51:11 PM
I repeatedly return to horror for the rawness . . . the vulnerability I aim for in creative nonfiction. It is all truth; this story in particular horrifying because of the protagonists' powerlessness and struggle against the darkness of their families' denial and the sexual abuse.

Regarding Ciristhan's reaction: I understand. This story isn't for everyone. It requires looking directly at suffering that you cannot help. It's difficult for us, and I'm referring to humanity as a whole, to experience others' suffering and sit with it. Just bear witness. To do so reminds us of our own suffering, and the times we may have felt powerless.

Instead of depressing, I saw light and victory for the siblings. They finally conquered their demons and are now able to truly live -- anywhere they chose. Thank you, Zachary T. Owen, for sharing such a rich story.

Zachary T. Owen

• Extern
Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 08:54:12 PM
Thanks, Tango and Third.

"Moral of the story - of every story like this - is to listen to the victims." Thanks Tango, that's something I hadn't thought to say but is, I think, probably evident in the story itself. I've known a lot of women and men who have been abused in some way, sexually or otherwise, who weren't taken very seriously. It's disheartening and something I've always been deeply unsettled by.

abandonedasachild

• Extern
Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 09:06:59 AM
This is fantastic writing! It is hard to write fictional, fantastical, or paranormal elements over such heavily charged subject matter without belittling the weight of reality. In this case though, the element of paranormal conflict serves as an elegant metaphor for invisible aspects of the struggle that people face after such abuse.
It was real, and i wanted to reach out and say 'don't stop fighting, you can overcome this! We can overcome this together'.
I was impressed that the tone and storytelling made this story both credible and respectful for readers who can relate to the protagonists background and accessible to readers with readers who can't.

misty dawn

• Extern
Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 03:25:50 AM
Holy Hell what an amazing and chilling tale. The narrator eloquently portrayed (IMO) the author's tone and emphasis beautifully. The subject matter is something hardly written about, a taboo even in this genre. Well done Mr. Owens, I look forward to reading more of your works.

Hello! Just had a chance to look at recent posts. I wish to thank u sincerely for ur kind comment regarding my narration. I doubt myself every time....no more so than when I hit that "send" key and it's too late to wonder if I did the characters justice. But something strange happened to me after the first read thru of "Favors from Hell. I didn't hear my own voice in my head, I heard Kalina's. And without reservation I spoke bothTHRU her and FOR her. And my fear of " impending failure", was quickly calmed by some very nice reviews of both the story and my reading. Thanks for taking the time to write!

Misty Dawn

misty dawn

• Extern
Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 03:32:39 AM
Hello everybody, thank you for the feedback. I'm pleased to see that, overall, Favors From Hell has gotten the reaction I intended.

And ciristhan, I appreciate the honest criticism. I certainly didn't think everybody would enjoy this story, and really, it's not a story that can be "enjoyed" anyway. I think your criticisms actually apply in a way that work for those who liked the story, as well. You got me thinking a lot about what I was trying to do. I'll try to illuminate. I rarely do this, but I thought it might be a good challenge.

Yes it is predictable, but I was never really worried about that. The original title was An Incontestable Weight of Ashes. As for not being funny or exciting--I would certainly hope a story about child abuse isn't funny or exciting. I understand the depressing tone turning you off. That makes a lot of sense to me. I probably found the story as depressing to write as you found it to read. For me, sometimes that's the role of fiction--to take us to uncomfortable places and make us think about uncomfortable or depressing things. Admittedly, not everybody wants this in their fiction.

As for the point--maybe I failed there. I would argue the most important function of a narrative is to tell a compelling story. Any points that might be made are secondary. But if I had to say there was a point to Favors from Hell, it is this: predators are often people we know. Classmates. Friends. Relatives. Horror fiction tends to paint them as psychopathic strangers that happen to cross paths with innocent people. Less often are they depicted as people close to their victims by blood or friendship. Beyond that, Favors from Hell is, to me, about trying to face trauma(s) from your past instead of running from them. The trauma never really ceases, but maybe we learn to cope better. I wouldn't say Kalina and her brother really "defeated" their Uncle's ghost because his hold on them may never end. But I tried to give them a little more hope than they had when the story began.

This may interest you: I have written a story in which an abuser "wins" and is never caught. That's also featured in my book, Burn Down The House And Everyone In It. It's from the point of view of the abuser. I've also done humorous stories, too, which are included.

Thanks again for the honest reaction. It's a nice reminder that just because I have a vision that doesn't mean it will translate well for everybody. It's just that sort of thing that pushes me to work harder and explore more.

Hey Zach! I love how u handled this!
Misty Dawn