Author Topic: PseudoPod 467: Doc  (Read 4211 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: December 08, 2015, 12:49:28 AM
PseudoPod 467: Doc

by V N Winnick

“Doc” is original to Pseudopod

V. N. Winnick is a writer and editor living in Canada’s oil money heartland, if such a thing can be said to have a heart. They have written on sex, arts, and culture for various local magazines (including GayCalgary and Beatroute), done editorial work for the venerable EDGE Science Fiction and Fantasy Press, and had several children’s educational books published. Oh, and they’re a slusher for Pseudopod, too. This story is V.N’s first published fiction.

Your narrator – Wilson Fowlie has been reading stories out loud since the age of 4, and credits any talent he has in this area to his parents, who are both excellent at reading aloud. He has been narrating stories for more people than his own family since late 2008, when he answered a call for readers on the PodCastle forum from PodCastle’s then-editor, Rachel Swirsky. Since then, he’s become PodCastle’s most prolific narrator, reading or appearing in nearly 30 episodes. He’s also narrated for many other podcasts, including PodCastle’s sister ‘casts, Escape Pod and Pseudopod, StarShip Sofa, Protecting Project Pulp, Crime City Central, Tales To Terrify, Beam Me Up, Cast Macabre, Dunesteef Audio Fiction magazine and the Journey Into… podcast. He fits in all this narrating between his day job as a web developer for a tech company in the Greater Vancouver area in Canada, and being the director of a community show chorus called The Maple Leaf Singers.

It’s the first time they’re making me do it, and I’m giving the man a speech. One I’ve practiced in my head from the moment they told me what needed to be done.

“I’m not a doctor. I’ve got a bachelor’s degree in zoology. That’s the study of animals. I was pretty good with animal anatomy.

“I’ve never operated on a person, or anything living. You’re my first patient, and this is my first amputation. My hands are probably gonna shake. This is gonna be slow, and it’s gonna hurt a lot, because I’ll have to learn as I go. Other than that, no promises.

“You’re really, really sure you want me to do this?”

My head swivels about, looking at the rest of the group as I ask the question. I guess I want it to be a waiver; something to absolve me of responsibility when this whole, lunatic notion eventually goes pear-shaped, as I have no doubt that it will. To my complete astonishment, my “patient” nods, and says between shallow breaths, “Go for it, Doc.”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Lieberkuhn

• Extern
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 06:06:26 PM
In veterinary school (and I assume human medical schools) they warn you repeatedly about imposter syndrome, and Winnick nailed it perfectly. These are the kinds of feelings new surgeons experience even with proper training, instruments and anesthesia as well as competent surgeons just a scream away. He nailed the medical details and the kindness of people who know you're doing your best even when you feel like a total failure as well. Great story, I'm still squirming.

BoojumsRCool

• Palmer
    • The Boojum
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 01:31:58 AM
That made me very uncomfortable. Thank you!

Boojums ARE cool!

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 11:54:49 AM
This kind of body horror doesn't squick me out that much, but where the story really worked was the framing around the story. I wasn't that aware of it while listening, but in the comments after the story, the connection to the author's experiences with their body made the story work for me on a different level. As in "ah, now it makes sense".

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 04:00:24 PM
Hmmm... this one didn't do much for me.  I mean, being in that situation would suck, I have no doubts about that.  I think that anxiety might end up driving me to an early grave if I were in the doc's shoes.  But I also had no doubt that it was the only correct choice to make.  Amputation is the kind of thing that learning about it in theory is far from performing it in practice.  Doc gets that, the patients get that.  And if a wound has taken an infection and you don't have medication to fight the infection, then that infection WILL kill you if you don't take drastic measures like amputation.  The patient knows he's going to die, and die painfully, whether or not he allows the surgery.  The patient knows that if he does allow the surgery, he'll probably still die painfully, and will die sooner, BUT by choosing to die in a way that gives Doc more surgical experience, he might be helping to save someone else's life down the road.  Maybe Doc's first dozen patients will die in surgery, maybe his 13th will survive.  If we're talking about certainly-fatal conditions like gangrenous limbs anyway, those first 12 patients were going to die either way, but that 13th might survive and that 13th would've survived because of the choice the other 12 made.  Once Doc figures out some procedures to limit fatalities, Doc can start training apprentices with those improved procedures so that there's not a single failure point to their entire medical system. 

This is a sucky situation, a gory anxiety-driven situation.  But I guess it didn't inspire much horror in me simply because Doc seemed to be making the best possible choice in a crap situation and improving the world in whatever way possible as a result. 

I found the notes after the story, and how the story related to the author's transgender narrative, to be much more compelling, and cast the story in a new light.

Dwango

• Matross
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 10:12:37 PM
This story made be squirm quite a lot.  It was the right amount of body horror along with the unspeakable horror behind the scenes.  The feeling I get is that he is not going to get better at the surgery, and eventually there won't be too many people to have to amputate.  It was horrific with its failure to save the life, unlike many adventure stories where the amputee makes it through.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 03:04:17 PM
This story made be squirm quite a lot.  It was the right amount of body horror along with the unspeakable horror behind the scenes.  The feeling I get is that he is not going to get better at the surgery, and eventually there won't be too many people to have to amputate.  It was horrific with its failure to save the life, unlike many adventure stories where the amputee makes it through.

That's certainly possible that he'll never get better, lacking any proper training and only fumbling his way along.  Even if he never gets better, I'm not sure that dying of failed surgery is necessarily worse than dying of gangrene.  And any person who wants to choose gangrene, can do so. 

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 03:55:20 PM
In veterinary school (and I assume human medical schools) they warn you repeatedly about imposter syndrome, and Winnick nailed it perfectly. ... Great story, I'm still squirming.

I had to listen to this over several sessions. I echo Lieberkuhn's thoughts. A weird thought came at one point: was this story about some kind of extreme double-dog dare among co-workers or friends?

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

TheVoicesOfBrian

• Extern
  • So many voices...
    • The Voices In My Head
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 10:17:17 PM
There's gore for the sake of gore and then there's this. Both a psychological and visceral horror. Well done story. Had me squirming in my seat (when I wasn't shuddering).

Narrator/Voice Actor
@VoicesOfBrian
www.TheVoicesInMyHead.com

Whaletale

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 03:16:07 PM
Oh my god this was disgusting!! I was squirming in my seat and at the point where the burning iron fell into the wound I literally gasped and threw my hands over my mouth.

Excellent!!!!