Author Topic: PseudoPod 468: The Angel In The Marble  (Read 3029 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: December 12, 2015, 06:55:00 AM
PseudoPod 468: The Angel In The Marble

by B.T. Joy

The Angel In The Marble” is original to Pseudopod.

‘The Angel In The Marble’ is an example of a kind of story that has haunted and fascinated me since early childhood and which, until writing this, I had never quite expressed in words. It’s one of those ‘stormy night’ stories we find in the darker corners of books of fairytales in which someone is lost in a deep wood and so follows the single light shining from a nearby cabin; wandering, unknowingly, even further from the road. It’s a story about two strangers, not desiring company and having their own personal reasons for solitude, who nevertheless meet on common ground and must reveal and complete one another’s stories. I see this as a trope very near to the heart of horror and dark literature and I’ve witnessed it play out time and again in such places as Pinter’s The Caretaker and No Man’s Land, Eugene O’Neill’s Long Day’s Journey Into Night and, more recently, the 2008 Marek Losey film The Hide, which is probably the best contemporary example I can name.

B.T. JOY has been writing horror for some years now and has had around two dozen works of fiction included in magazines, journals, anthologies and podcasts worldwide. His intention is to produce tales set in a realistic environment in which the psychological preoccupations of the protagonist drive the narrative and any supernatural elements are left for the reader to infer; rather than being openly stated by the writer. Also a practicing poet, B.T. Joy’s verse has been nominated for the Pushcart Prize on three occasions and can be found in the pages and internet presences of over fifty markets. He is the holder of a BA from London Metropolitan University and a PGDE from Strathclyde. This year he was awarded an MLitt in Poetry from the University of St. Andrews and he relocated to Heilongjiang, in Northern China, where he writes and reads voraciously and teaches English at high school level. This year his first solo collection of poetry Teaching Neruda will be released through Popcorn Press. White Knuckle Press are also releasing a selection of his prose poetry in a chapbook due out in March. For information on all his writing and publications listeners should refer to his website: B.T. Joy: Online Poetry and his blog: Turning To Visuals

Your narrator – Simon Meddings is a freelance script writer, podcast etc and audio actor. The waffle on podcast can be found at waffleon.podbean.com You can follow simon @hawkeyemeds

It’s always been the consensus that symmetry is synonymous with beauty.

But Adrian Speer disagreed.

What was more symmetrical than that block of rough, square-edged marble; fresh from the quarry? If symmetry was all we were looking for we’d be exhibiting a slab of raw, unchiseled stone on that glass-surrounded plinth in the Galleria dell’Accademia in Florence.

They do say the great artist went personally to Carrara; to choose just the right marble for his masterworks. And so the raw resources were important. No one’s saying different. But, in the angles of the white stone, Michelangelo saw angels; and he chiseled until he released them into the air. Breaking symmetry for beauty’s sake.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Bugscuttle

• Extern
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:01:32 AM
I just listened to this story.  I enjoyed it very much - it brought to mind some very dim personal memories, as well as reminding me of an artist I once knew.
Really well done, and the reading was excellent, as well.

Something clever just around the corner.

Dwango

• Matross
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 10:17:34 PM
This one almost had me skipping it.  It was very disturbing and creepy.  You know where this is going and you just want to tell the boy to run away.  I was cheering his escape until the last minute failure.  The whole horror of the protagonist being trapped by his past and it turning him into a monster.  Very disturbing indeed. 

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 04:04:56 PM
This one almost had me skipping it.  It was very disturbing and creepy.  ... Very disturbing indeed. 

I'm also glad I toughed it out.  Good thrill fuel (not nightmare fuel).

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 03:19:50 PM
Hmm... I found this one hard to get into.  This might've been in part because I ended up hearing it a bunch of pieces over several days so that might've made it harder to immerse.  But I also found the protagonist so irritating I didn't really want to hear him tell his story, though his general point about the beauty of symmetry is an interesting one I think he's also taking it much too literally.  While a block of marble is more symmetrical than a statue of a person in an asymmetrical pose I don't think that's meant to be so much about the symmetry of the exact pose but more about the symmetry of the form.  Even so I don't think symmetry of form can even be universally considered to be beautiful--presumably the variety of crab that has the lopsided front pincers must find asymmetry to be not unattractive.

(Technically we are all physically asymmetrical in our innards, our heart being on the left side and other organs being on the right, and our left and right brain lobes having different tendencies etc, but I suppose one could reasonably argue that the arrangement of our innards is irrelevant to beauty, beauty being only skin-deep and all that)