Author Topic: PC Miniature 86: The Wedding Of Snow, Earth, And Salt  (Read 3400 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: January 02, 2016, 01:27:35 AM
PodCastle Miniature 86: The Wedding Of Snow, Earth, And Salt

by Kate Heartfield

With a special full cast reading. Happy New Year!

Wilson Fowlie as the Narrator

Graeme Dunlop as the North Wind

Jennifer Albert as Snow

Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali as the East Wind

Arun Jiwa as Earth

Peter Wood as Salt

Rachael K. Jones as the West Wind

A Podcastle original!

The North Wind raised his glass, a tall flute clouded with cold, filled with thick yellow wine so

sweet it stung the tongue. All the guests raised their glasses and waited through the speech,

which was a warning.

“What is done, undoes. You will not leave here as you came.”

All the guests drank, and their eyes opened wide as the ice wine coated their throats.

Rated G.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle Miniature!

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 10:01:09 PM
Full cast readings are fun! I'm glad to be young enough not to be mixing up weddings and funerals yet. :P

Happy New Year!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 03:01:09 PM
I'm afraid I didn't get what this one was going for.  The imagery was interesting, but it didn't really come together for me as a story.  It kind of felt like a poem, which is a thing I don't understand even though I understand that other people like poems. 

So, not for me, I guess!

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 07:45:29 PM
I'm afraid I didn't get what this one was going for.  The imagery was interesting, but it didn't really come together for me as a story.  It kind of felt like a poem, which is a thing I don't understand even though I understand that other people like poems.

If you ever feel like you would like a better handle on what other people see in poetry, I highly recommend the book The Ode Less Travelled by Stephen Fry. It's actually a 'How to write poetry' book, but he uses tons of examples of existing works to illustrate the principles he talks about.

Even though the book did inspire me, I haven't actually written much poetry since listening to it (the audio version is read by the author and he is an excellent narrator; it's worth listening to just for the experience!), because I don't put aside the time for it (like any other hobby, it requires a certain time investment) but I do have a much greater appreciation for the appeal of poetry to people who like it. (I also don't seek out poetry any more than I did before, but I am able to appreciate it better when it crosses my path. :) )

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

awfulhorrid

• Extern
  • Woof!
    • Linuxdog.net
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 11:11:15 PM
The part that made me squee, if only a little? This was a polyamorous wedding! (OK, even if they did sort of melt together into an amorphous mass there at the end, but what do you expect from anthropomorphic personifications?)

I strongly support the right to be different!
Equality != Liberty
Do you need me to give the Linux / Creative Commons / FOSS lecture?