Author Topic: Looking for story focused Sci-Fi films  (Read 11285 times)

Supernova

• Palmer
on: January 06, 2016, 07:49:17 PM
I really like the quiet, story focused, often low budget science fiction films. One of my favourite films is Jerome Bixby's "The Man from Earth", a truly excellent film and very low budget (the whole thing is filmed in a single room). It's the dialogue driven films I like the most, and if this makes sense, the "quiet" films, like Moon, which I have already mentioned in another thread. So I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for films like this. Another example would be "Another Earth".

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:28:33 PM
EUROPA REPORT

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 05:36:00 AM
Primer is a fantastic low budget time travel movie. 

Robot & Frank was a pretty good, well, robot story.  Mostly a story about an old man, really, with the robot there in a very realistic way.

Safety Not Guaranteed was an interesting movie about a classified ad for someone to come along on a time travel excursion.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 10:29:46 AM
This Quiet Earth is a little dated but lovely. Sound of my Voice, which is from a chunk of the team behind Another Earth is deeply weird and haunting. The Reconstruction of William Zero is fun too. Measured, calm, idea heavy.

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 01:30:12 PM
These are great, thanks everyone ! I haven't seen any of the films mentioned apart from Primer, which was indeed excellent and worth a rewatch ! I'll check all these recommendations out, looking forward to seeing them  :)

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 02:16:58 PM
I just watched Ex Machina (currently streaming free on Amazon Prime), which I enjoyed and which seems to fit your description.

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 03:51:54 PM
I remember being struck by the long stretches of quiet in Silent Running, which is set in a greenhouse in space. There's some dialogue and a couple of action-y sequences, but I wouldn't call it dialogue-driven or even plot-driven, really, more message-driven.

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 04:55:58 PM
@matweller I have recently watched Ex Machina on Amazon Prime and yes, that's exactly the sort of film I'm talking about. I really enjoyed it and have watched it three times already !

@TrishEM Silent Running, one of my favourites since I was a child. It does have a powerful message and I'd say is well ahead of it's time in that regard. Again, it's exactly the sort of film I am talking about.

Thanks guys :)

astrokath

• -between the singing stars-
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 08:18:55 PM
I'm gonna second Robot & Frank. It's a beautiful film.

If you like thought provoking stories, how about Gattaca?

Not the droid you're looking for.

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 08:23:35 PM
I'm gonna second Robot & Frank. It's a beautiful film.

If you like thought provoking stories, how about Gattaca?

Funnily enough I got an email just today from Amazon recommending Robot and Frank, I'll certainly check it out, it does look like my cup of tea. I've seen Gattaca, very thought provoking as you say, and becoming more and more relevant regarding genetics.

I saw Europa Report the other day and loved it, thanks @Sgarre1 for that recommendation. I liked the way it was heavily based in scientific reality, they must have had a lot of consultant scientists for this one, and it really could happen in the not too distant future. I'm going to work my way through all the recommendations here, so thanks all :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 08:27:02 PM by Supernova »

hmcf

• Extern
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 10:55:59 PM
OK, it's big budget, but I think Star Trek Generations would qualify.

sanman

• Extern
Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 06:38:52 AM
District 9 was made on a low-budget, and even though it has spectacular visual FX, it still has an interesting story, and I particularly liked the ending.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 02:38:47 PM
The History of Future Folk was charming as hell.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 05:42:03 PM
I enjoyed District 9, clever stuff. Love Generations but then I love all Next Gen stuff. Not seen History of Future Folk, I will certainly check that out !

Kconv

• Extern
Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 11:15:27 PM
Forbidden planet, one of the absolute classics.

Sunshine, starts really good and then gets into monster rampage, but its still pretty good.

Solaris is really good if you can wrap your head around it.

Wall-e is another good choice if you dont mind kids films.

Zelda

• Palmer
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 06:46:41 PM
I haven't seen it mentioned in a long time so maybe it's not easily available but I recommend Brother From Another Planet if you can find it.

delmiss

• Extern
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 03:27:40 PM
Primer is a fantastic low budget time travel movie.

Robot & Frank was a pretty good, well, robot story.  Mostly a story about an old man, really, with the robot there in a very realistic way.

Safety Not Guaranteed was an interesting movie about a classified ad for someone to come along on a time travel excursion.

Cassese

• Extern
Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 02:14:35 PM
Check out "Upgrade" from 2018 I believe. It's an entirely story-driven sci-fi movie. Sorry if someone mentioned it already and I missed it.