Author Topic: RIP Jareth, The Goblin King  (Read 5057 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: January 11, 2016, 06:06:23 PM
David Bowie passed away Sunday 1/10/16 after a battle with cancer. He was an incredibly talented musician, but he was also an actor.

One of my very favorite movies is Labyrinth in which Bowie played Jareth, The Goblin King.

Bowie is pictured here in a still from the movie along with Toby Froud - the son of iconic fantasy artists Brian Froud and Wendy Midener and who played the child stolen by The Goblin King

This is a young adult movie, that can be enjoyed by the whole family. In case you haven't seen it, is a classic!

Here is the trailer

It doesn't appear to be available to stream on Netflix or on Amazon Prime, but, it's worth a trip to your local library. Chances are high they have a copy you can borrow. Although you may have to wait a while
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:18:36 PM by danooli »

astrokath

• -between the singing stars-
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 08:16:57 PM
My sister and I can quote practically the entire film. It was a HUGE part of my childhood. I think we were about 9 and 12 when we first watched it? I still can't believe he's gone.

My kids call the film 'Rescue the Baby' and while my four year old loves it, my seven year old was freaked out by it and I've not watched it with them since.

Not the droid you're looking for.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 04:11:01 AM
It wasn't until I read the most recent awful Henson biography that I realized that Labyrinth was officially a dud. This was such a cornerstone of my experience when I found it after the explosion of home VCR's and the rental market. I'm not alone, as Jareth was one of the most frequent tribute pictures that wandered across my social media.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”