Escape Artists
December 11, 2017, 07:59:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Escape Pod Flash Fiction Contest 2016 - Submission Rules  (Read 13233 times)
Not-a-Robot
Hipparch

Now 100% biological and 3 x more optimism!

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 04:31:05 AM »

Alright, I've got my story submission int. It took me a week to realize I'd never actually FINISH it because I kept agonizing over every sentence. Structurally, my story stayed the same but I kept screwing with little parts that probably didn't make a big difference. I'm not sure I made anything better after all this thrashing so a few minutes ago I uploaded it before another wave of doubt hit.

I sent mine in too.  I don't know, I like agonizing over every sentence.  I think that it gives the overall work a very polished feel, but, yeah, I agree. At some point it just has to storm off on its own, leaving a bloody trail of letters and phrases in its wake. 
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 09:35:40 AM »

Alright, I've got my story submission int. It took me a week to realize I'd never actually FINISH it because I kept agonizing over every sentence. Structurally, my story stayed the same but I kept screwing with little parts that probably didn't make a big difference. I'm not sure I made anything better after all this thrashing so a few minutes ago I uploaded it before another wave of doubt hit.

I sent mine in too.  I don't know, I like agonizing over every sentence.  I think that it gives the overall work a very polished feel, but, yeah, I agree. At some point it just has to storm off on its own, leaving a bloody trail of letters and phrases in its wake. 

These blast points are much too precise for sandpeople.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Not-a-Robot
Hipparch

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 04:56:56 PM »

These blast points are much too precise for sandpeople.

Ahhem... We sandpeople prefer to be called Native Tatooinites.
Thunderscreech
Matross

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 06:03:46 PM »

Chairman Goodchild
Peltast

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 07:58:39 PM »

I'd probably do better if I followed the Klingon method. Instead of 'being submitted' maybe a story should escape, leaving a bloody trail of bodies in its wake.

I don't know if it'll go anywhere in the contest, but I feel better getting it out the door. Watching authors in movies, I thought writing would be fun but it's more like a painful itch I have to scratch no matter how much damage I do.

Maybe that's not normal, but ahhh... that last itch is finally gone. Now, what's this next tingle all about? Aw nuts.

You've completely summed up my experience here.  I think, tho, that my story did benefit from all the tinkering I did with it.  I'm a pretty harsh critic.  I'm harsh on other peoples' writing, and I'm harsh on myself.  I spent much time ripping apart my paragraph and sentence structures and restructuring them, over and over, until well beyond the point of getting sick of it.  When I got down to picking apart individual word choices, I decided to give it a day or two and call it quits.  At that point, all of the love I had for my story had long since drained out of me, and I felt like a factory worker on an assembly line.  

And I've been working on a vampire story now for a long time that I thought had a cool concept when I started, but I'm losing faith now.  I know I just need to keep on going with it.  I keep telling myself the experience of writing it will be its own reward no matter how it turns out.

And I'll call them Sand People if I like, they didn't have any problem with being called that back in my father's day.  
Renobarb
Extern

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 09:37:08 PM »

@eytanz Thank you for your assistance in navigating the forum.  I'm looking forward to reading the entries!
Not-a-Robot
Hipparch

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2016, 12:54:51 AM »

And I'll call them Sand People if I like, they didn't have any problem with being called that back in my father's day.  

Chairman Goodchild, I am your father.  

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:00:40 AM by Not-a-Robot » Logged
Thunderscreech
Matross

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2016, 09:24:37 PM »

Stay on target.  We're almost there; if you've been poking and prodding your story for a few days, it's time to submit!  Don't miss the window!
Moritz
Lochage

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 05:02:35 PM »

Submitted.

After last year's pseudopod contest, I wrote down some ideas for fantasy stories. Among them, there was one SF story, so that's what I wrote. In a hurry Cheesy
Thunderscreech
Matross

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 08:31:28 PM »

Submitted.

After last year's pseudopod contest, I wrote down some ideas for fantasy stories. Among them, there was one SF story, so that's what I wrote. In a hurry FLASH Cheesy
(Corrected, you're welcome.  Cheesy)
Anthony Creamer (Poisonwaters)
Matross

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2016, 01:00:37 AM »

That made me laugh Thunderscreech.

I submitted a story and I was able to convince one of my coworkers to start writing again and submit one as well. So now we are eagerly awaiting the polling. I think it was more fun just pushing each other to complete something and having a few beers while we edited than it was actually pressing the submission button. On top of it we both left our endings slightly open so it was fun to take the other guys story and add to it as a writing exercise.
Thunderscreech
Matross

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2016, 08:24:09 AM »

Right on!  I am looking forward to reading all the submissions, the Flash Contests are the parts of EA I look forward to more than anything.
Not-a-Robot
Hipparch

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »

Right on!  I am looking forward to reading all the submissions, the Flash Contests are the parts of EA I look forward to more than anything.

Dude, right on.  High Five!
eytanz

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2016, 09:05:41 AM »

Anyone who is planning to submit but hasn't yet - don't forget! The portal will close midnight tonight (EST)!
Moritz
Lochage

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2016, 01:06:44 PM »

The decision to only allow one submission per author was not an easy one for us to make - but our current goal is to run more frequent contests, and that means that we need to make sure that each contest proceeds relatively quickly and doesn't become a chore for the voters. One story per author seemed the best and fairest way to do so.

This sounds like the best decision to me, too. The last pseudopod contest was a bit of a chore and left me fatigued. I understand that you might have two or three great stories, but limiting it to one submission means you really have to pick the very best one!
South of No North
Matross

Oneironaut and Alchymist

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »

The decision to only allow one submission per author was not an easy one for us to make - but our current goal is to run more frequent contests, and that means that we need to make sure that each contest proceeds relatively quickly and doesn't become a chore for the voters. One story per author seemed the best and fairest way to do so.

This sounds like the best decision to me, too. The last pseudopod contest was a bit of a chore and left me fatigued. I understand that you might have two or three great stories, but limiting it to one submission means you really have to pick the very best one!

I understand the reasons and they make sense. It was exhausting sticking through to the end for the last contest.
However, with such gold to pick from Wink...it is like having to decide which child you love the most. Roll Eyes Like Sophie's Choice only harder. Cry

"Yes, of course I can blame you. Without them, where would all of us outlaws be? What would we have? Only a lawless paradise...and paradise is a bore. Violence without violation is only noise heard by no one, the most horrendous sound in the universe." --The Chymist by Thomas Ligotti
Thunderscreech
Matross

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2016, 02:00:45 PM »

I wish I'd been clever enough to write multiple stories and pick, that would have made so much more sense.  

Hey, I could be efficient about it too so that the un-used ones weren't wasted.  Pod Castle contest?  Throw in a dragon.  Pseudopod?  My spaceship has, uh, a literal 'blood' drive.  Yeah, that's it, the engine runs on blood.  PS nobody can use that idea now patent pending patent pending patent pending patent pending.
Anthony Creamer (Poisonwaters)
Matross

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2016, 02:49:14 PM »

However, if it had a Vulcan blood drive it wouldn't be a copy right infringement (at least not of your concept, hehe) and you could submit to the next escape pod contest after traveling into the future using said drive.
Not-a-Robot
Hipparch

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2016, 05:02:47 PM »

I wish I'd been clever enough to write multiple stories and pick, that would have made so much more sense.  

Hey, I could be efficient about it too so that the un-used ones weren't wasted.  Pod Castle contest?  Throw in a dragon.  Pseudopod?  My spaceship has, uh, a literal 'blood' drive.  Yeah, that's it, the engine runs on blood.  PS nobody can use that idea now patent pending patent pending patent pending patent pending.

I threw my unused one up in the crit group.  When it's done with revision, it's going to another market.  There are plenty of places looking for flash.
DetectiveFork
Extern

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2016, 09:04:06 AM »

I'm new to this, so I'm not certain how the contest works. Does Escape Pod vote internally or do forum members vote for their favorites?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: