Escape Artists
October 20, 2017, 08:07:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Group TWELVE (what?!) of the PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest is now live! (All round 1 groups have been posted!)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Escape Pod Flash Fiction Contest 2016 - Submission Rules  (Read 12572 times)
SpareInch
Hipparch

Will there be sugar after the rebellion?

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2016, 09:42:35 AM »

I'm new to this, so I'm not certain how the contest works. Does Escape Pod vote internally or do forum members vote for their favorites?

You can see how it works if you look at the completed contests. The stories will be posted in a series of groups , with forum polls where we can all vote. There will be at least 3 rounds I imagine, and the top 3 stories from the final poll will be the ones that go onto the podcast.

It's the forum members who decide the winners, not the editors. Cheesy

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW
danooli

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2016, 10:55:10 AM »

I'm new to this, so I'm not certain how the contest works. Does Escape Pod vote internally or do forum members vote for their favorites?
Forum members vote :-) and, welcome!
Thunderscreech
Matross

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »

If you're new, it's considered polite to vote for my stories in all contests.  You can tell because they've got that 'well, at least he tried' quality.
Not-a-Robot
Hipparch

Now 100% biological and 3 x more optimism!

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2016, 01:14:59 PM »

All forum members can vote.  There are a couple of cavats to be careful of:

1) It's anonymous, so if you give away which story is yours, you're disqualified

2) Mods are careful to check IPs (to make sure that no one is cheating), so if you have more than one person using your computer, notify a mod beforehand
eytanz

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2016, 02:20:36 PM »

I'm going to post the full rules over the weekend. I'll also send them by email to all the authors, so that those who aren't forum members will know what's going on.

In case anyone is curious at this point, we had 133 submissions, which is pretty decent given the short lead time to this contest. I'm currently thinking the first round will consist of 12 groups of 11 stories each (one will have 12)
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2016, 02:49:06 PM »

In case anyone is curious at this point, we had 133 submissions, which is pretty decent given the short lead time to this contest.

Nice! It should also be a little less taxing than 212 stories.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Anthony Creamer (Poisonwaters)
Matross

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2016, 03:51:46 PM »

Forum members vote in their favorites from each round
Not-a-Robot
Hipparch

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2016, 05:55:25 PM »

I'm going to post the full rules over the weekend. I'll also send them by email to all the authors, so that those who aren't forum members will know what's going on.

In case anyone is curious at this point, we had 133 submissions, which is pretty decent given the short lead time to this contest. I'm currently thinking the first round will consist of 12 groups of 11 stories each (one will have 12)

When is the estimated launch date?
eytanz

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2016, 05:56:50 PM »

If all goes well, March 1st.
Not-a-Robot
Hipparch

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2016, 06:03:08 PM »

If all goes well, March 1st.

Damn, it's a leap year.  One more day of waiting  Angry Angry Angry
Moritz
Lochage

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »

I'll also send them by email to all the authors, so that those who aren't forum members will know what's going on.

This makes a lot of sense, given that in the past contests there were people who submitted something and didn't know what happened next because they weren't active forum members.
Tango Alpha Delta
Hipparch

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2016, 08:22:38 PM »

If you just want the links to previous contest winners, they are on the wiki page, here.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!
Not-a-Robot
Hipparch

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2016, 04:33:12 AM »

In case anyone is curious at this point, we had 133 submissions.

Funny.

I have a rule that I worked out.  Take the number of submission grinder reports, multiply by 5 and you have the real number of submission.  This has worked pretty well for me for most markets where editors have announce the total submission numbers

Escape Pod FCC = 26 x 5 =  130

Pseudopod FCC didn't follow this rule at all... there were only 15 submission reports.
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »

Pseudopod FCC didn't follow this rule at all... there were only 15 submission reports.

We're a reclusive, shadowy bunch.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
kcain
Extern

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2016, 04:42:18 PM »

Sounds great.

ZekeSixsmith
Palmer

« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2016, 07:58:03 AM »

We may or may not allow minor typo corrections if those slip in

Is this still an option? Just found a typo, and it's really bothering me.
Thunderscreech
Matross

« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2016, 08:49:33 AM »

Same, there's one part where I have 'the' and I actually meant to type 'thespaceshipblastedupwardsonamightypillarofflameasitsfusionreactorlaboredmightillybeforeburstingoutoftheatmosphere'.  Also, there was an instance of 'dog' that I wanted to replace with another, eh, compound word.  Yes, compound word.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2016, 10:06:08 AM »

Same, there's one part where I have 'the' and I actually meant to type 'thespaceshipblastedupwardsonamightypillarofflameasitsfusionreactorlaboredmightillybeforeburstingoutoftheatmosphere'.  Also, there was an instance of 'dog' that I wanted to replace with another, eh, compound word.  Yes, compound word.

Cheesy
South of No North
Matross

Oneironaut and Alchymist

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2016, 10:13:57 AM »

The rules advised to not use the title to subvert the word count restriction but no there was no mention of, eh, compound words.

"Yes, of course I can blame you. Without them, where would all of us outlaws be? What would we have? Only a lawless paradise...and paradise is a bore. Violence without violation is only noise heard by no one, the most horrendous sound in the universe." --The Chymist by Thomas Ligotti
Jec
Palmer

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2016, 10:26:41 AM »

Has the first set of stories been posted yet?  I am not on here much so I don't know where to look.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: