Escape Artists
February 27, 2017, 10:08:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP518: Brain Worms and White Whales  (Read 2167 times)
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
EA Staff

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 10:47:40 AM »

On the recommendations of the collective I went back and gave this one another listen. This was a good fun and worthwhile. The narrator did a phenomenal job.

The thing that made me hit the "next" button the first time I listened, was the overwrought noir pulp prose. I like it, but the run-on multi-layer tortured metaphors/similes made me rewind twice and try to visualize what the hell anything meant. While they look good on the page they're a challenge to deliver comprehensively in audio due to sentence length and distance between supporting clauses. This came right after a second person intrusion, which is extra jarring in audio.

I was annoyed and frustrated and didn't feel like working to get into the story. So I gave up.

Honestly the opening was so divergent from the bulk of the story, makes a hard bend to the modern day portion two paragraphs in, and didn't really pay off at the end.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
eytanz

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 11:58:18 AM »

I agree with Fenrix - the opening put me off this one, and it took me a while to get back into it. Once I had found my way back into it, I came to really enjoy it.
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 11:25:38 AM »

Yep, I had a super hard time connecting the opening/closing scene with the rest of the story. (How'd he get to be a space captain after being given a life sentence?) Also, extended scenes of drug-induced hallucinations tend to lose my interest due to the absurdity. I did very much appreciate how all the hallucinating did actually get semi-explained afterward, so that was a plus.
shanehalbach
Peltast

Clockwork Lasercorn

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 02:52:28 PM »

WHAT THE WHAT DID I JUST LISTEN TO

I loved this, though it would feel more at home on Drabblecast maybe? I just love how it slowly came off the rails into absolute absurdity.

MarcusC
Extern

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 09:54:16 AM »

I thought the narration of this story took the great writing to great heights.

I loved the insecure, nerdy, sarcastic tone of the point of view. Reminds me of high school.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: