Author Topic: DragonCon 2007 - Atlanta - Sept 1-3  (Read 39898 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 05:25:04 AM
lmao.  either that or 'talk about actual money issues'

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 03:53:05 PM
or ramble on for about a page about something that really has very little to do with the current tangent on the thread but with the threads actual topic.

goatkeeper

Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 03:59:27 PM
Haha!  nice.
 I think your Hilton split is a good idea and I'd be game for it if I wasn't crashing on my folks couch!
You can find cheaper than Hilton though for sure though- your best bet for cheap is to not stay downtown.  Find a Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Quality Inn, Days Inn a few minutes down the road next to a Marta station
http://www.itsmarta.com/getthere/schedules/index.htm
Marta's a great thing in Atlanta and super cheap- it runs down next to the airport where there are assloads of cheaper joints to stay, it'll take you downtown and you'll save some $ not having to pay for parking.

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 02:39:37 AM
How's the parking lot where this thing's at? I'm pretty comfortable with pulling into the parking structure of buildings and getting my sleep in a reclined drivers seat. lol. Gonna have to bathe in the bathrooms though. Not as bad as you think.  ;D not looking forward to 15 hours of driving each way though. that'll suck. Especially when I'm tired. Might have to put up the 250-400 for that and rent a car/bed when I get there. WEEEEEEeeeee!!!!! seriously, I'm insanely excited.

raygunray

• Peltast
  • Sundae, bloody Sundae
    • Diabetic In Candyland
Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 01:17:27 AM
Whatever Happened to crashing in the film room(s)? No one's there in the late hours.  I used to do that all the time.  I also just catnapped in the lobby.

Diabetic in Candyland -
Stories about Winning at Losing and Failing Successfully.

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 12:37:21 PM
Perfect! They're open all night?!

goatkeeper

Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 04:19:45 PM
haha, don't like my Days Inn idea? 

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 07:46:33 PM
I do but I'm balking at the total cost of this thing, in vacation days AND plane tickets ($400) AND Con tix ($70) AND food ($50) AND rental car ($60) AND hookers ($?) *sigh*. My hooker budget now only allows for toothless, old, French opium den whores. So 150-200 on a room is OUT.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #33 on: August 10, 2007, 07:06:34 AM
I should have jumped in this thread before.  But better late than never:

I'm definitely going to be at Dragon*Con the entire time.  Minx and I will be producing the Daily Dragon podcast, and I'm on two or three podcasting panels as well. 

I don't have any specific party plans -- too busy to think about that -- but I think a lunch or dinner with everyone here would be terrific.  All in favor? 

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
Reply #34 on: August 10, 2007, 11:50:14 AM
Aye!

You might also want to note that some inconsiderate sob has volunteered your yard as a temporary shanty town for DC.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:57:48 AM by BrandtPileggi »

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #35 on: August 10, 2007, 03:40:33 PM
You might also want to note that some inconsiderate sob has volunteered your yard as a temporary shanty town for DC.

Saw that.  What do I care?  My house is too far away, so I'll be in a hotel room at the con.  Sharing it with Minx and possibly Anna.

(And no, you can't stay with us.)  >8-P

Russell Nash

Reply #36 on: August 10, 2007, 03:48:50 PM

Saw that.  What do I care?  My house is too far away, so I'll be in a hotel room at the con.  Sharing it with Minx and possibly Anna.

(And no, you can't stay with us.)  >8-P

Are you making a video or something?   ;D

raygunray

• Peltast
  • Sundae, bloody Sundae
    • Diabetic In Candyland
Reply #37 on: August 10, 2007, 06:18:01 PM
I don't have any specific party plans -- too busy to think about that -- but I think a lunch or dinner with everyone here would be terrific.  All in favor? 

I'd love to meet ya'll and shake some hands. My wife and I can't stay too late because we have a diabetic kitty that needs her shot 2x a day. 

Diabetic in Candyland -

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
Reply #38 on: August 13, 2007, 01:38:05 AM
Damn. I'm getting hammered financially. I may have to do a 1-2 day trip. Steve, any idea when a good time for that dinner would be?

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #39 on: August 13, 2007, 03:43:10 AM
Damn. I'm getting hammered financially. I may have to do a 1-2 day trip. Steve, any idea when a good time for that dinner would be?

Almost certainly Saturday or Sunday.  My suggestion was tentative, though -- please don't plan your trip around this alone.

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
Reply #40 on: August 13, 2007, 10:03:36 PM
No worries.

raygunray

• Peltast
  • Sundae, bloody Sundae
    • Diabetic In Candyland
Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 01:48:07 PM
Does anyone have any scheduling for podcasting forums, workshops and fourms.  I'm producing a podiobook and would love to hear from the masters.  I've got the gear, now I just need a clue.

Diabetic in Candyland -

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #42 on: August 14, 2007, 02:09:02 PM
Does anyone have any scheduling for podcasting forums, workshops and fourms.  I'm producing a podiobook and would love to hear from the masters.  I've got the gear, now I just need a clue.

Sure.  The podcasting track has a Web site, complete with the schedule of panels, at:
http://www.dragon-pod.com

This year it seems to be mostly live versions of people's shows -- it's a much ligter schedule than last year.  However, I can guarantee you that many of the podcasters will be hanging out together for much of the con, and my experience has been that this is a very welcoming group of people.  So feel free to introduce yourself, make friends, and ask whatever you'd like.

goatkeeper

Reply #43 on: August 17, 2007, 03:39:20 AM
I'm really lookin forward to the con!  I know Steve mentioned some sort of possible lEP lunch in this weeks episode- I hope that happens (I won't be gettin there till Sat afternoon though)- but if any of you folks want to meet up over events or beer lemme know!

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
Reply #44 on: August 19, 2007, 02:10:16 PM
So is it a pretty sure thing that there'll be open "film rooms" and such that we'll be able to sleep in? If so I'm gonna goa ahead and book the car and DC tickets

raygunray

• Peltast
  • Sundae, bloody Sundae
    • Diabetic In Candyland
Reply #45 on: August 19, 2007, 03:44:19 PM
So is it a pretty sure thing that there'll be open "film rooms" and such that we'll be able to sleep in? If so I'm gonna goa ahead and book the car and DC tickets

Not to sure about that.  This is my second DC and in this case I'm a local.  I used to pull it off at Necrocomicon in Tampa all the time when I partied too hard to drive.  I don't know the policy at DC.  I knew a lot of people who slept in vans and trucks with caps but you had to be convert about.  Hotel management and security frowned on the practice.

Also, if you're budget conscious there is a food court downstairs so you won't get buggered by hotel food prices.  Also the ConSuite has PB & J fixins.  I would pack a bunch of granola bars and peanuts and found a Subway.  I can make a loaded footlong sub last all day.  I also brought a fifth of cheap vodka or rum or some HerbaLife to proffer at room parties.

It can be done on the cheap.

Diabetic in Candyland -

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #46 on: August 19, 2007, 04:03:45 PM

Are there film rooms running all night?  At least some nights.  Could you sleep in them without getting kicked out?  I have no idea.  I wouldn't suggest counting on that as a primary strategy.  Security at Dragon*Con is an amorphous mix of con volunteers, hotel security, and Atlanta police, and they're bigger bastards about some things than you can expect from other cons.  That's mostly because of the size of the event.

And...um...how can I put this delicately...  If your plan is to wander the con for four days without access to a shower, you're probably not going to make a lot of lasting friends.  I say this because there are fans who go without basic hygiene every year, and you can usually smell them from halfway down the hall.

raygunray

• Peltast
  • Sundae, bloody Sundae
    • Diabetic In Candyland
Reply #47 on: August 19, 2007, 07:52:38 PM
If your plan is to wander the con for four days without access to a shower, you're probably not going to make a lot of lasting friends.

Unless you learn to EuroShower aka Ho-Bath aka Racial Epithet Shower and bring deodorant.

Diabetic in Candyland -

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
Reply #48 on: August 19, 2007, 10:47:59 PM
Ha! yeah. I'm actually pretty practiced and good with that. I have heard about some of the fans at these things. I won't be counting myself with them. lol. If worse comes to worse I'll just have to find a motel/hotel somewhere.

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
Reply #49 on: August 20, 2007, 12:59:42 PM
Got my tickets and the rental! Woohoo!