Author Topic: Looking for an episode  (Read 5525 times)

Not-a-Robot

on: February 26, 2016, 06:14:38 PM
I listened to it a long time ago.  Something about a fairy that solved problems by giving advice.  He charged secrets.  There was a hill and a tree struck by lightning... I don't remember much more.  Sorry. 

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
I listened to it a long time ago.  Something about a fairy that solved problems by giving advice.  He charged secrets.  There was a hill and a tree struck by lightning... I don't remember much more.  Sorry. 
Are you sure it was in Podcastle? It sounds like the story "The Lightning Tree" by Pat Rothfuss from the Rogues anthology

Not-a-Robot

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 12:58:38 AM
Hah, not wonder I couldn't find it.

Thank you Danooli.  It was. Now I feel dumb  ;D

danooli

Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 01:12:40 AM
Please don't feel dumb! I'm just happy I was able to help!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 04:54:29 AM
Clearly PodCastle is doing something right when you associate all good short fiction with them first.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

danooli

Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 02:02:05 PM
That's a damn good point, Fenrix :-)

Not-a-Robot

Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 03:07:54 PM
Very true Fenrix.  Now that I remember the anthology, I can tell you that there were only two stories that I reallt liked in the anthology.  The Lightning Tree and a story about an illegal sousaphone heist.  That's probably why I asked about it on Podcastle.  Anyways, I was looking for a book to read, and I wanted to knowing w the author of The Lightning Tree so that I could read more.  I have the first book in the Kingkiller series by Rothfuss on hold now.  It should be a week before I get it.  Thanks again!

danooli

Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 03:15:16 PM
Not-a-Robot, I love that series so much, you're in for a treat! What are you reading in the week that you have to wait?

Not-a-Robot

Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 04:14:34 PM
I'm rereading Tenth of December by George Saunders.  It's literary and Saunders jumps in and out of genre whenever he pleases.  Most of the stories can be found for free online, but I bought a copy because I like it so much.  

Here's one of his Sci Fi stories for free in the New Yorker

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/12/20/escape-from-spiderhead