Escape Artists
December 11, 2017, 07:58:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Escape Pod Flash Fiction Contest 2016 - Voting Schedule and Rules  (Read 10637 times)
adrianh
Hipparch

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 03:29:23 AM »

The seasoned developer in the room, would wave at us to quiet down.  "Just listen to what they're saying", she told us.  "This is why we're doing this."

Y'know I do usability testing often. Indeed content-specific usability testing in many instances. And yet the analogy to how the strangers read my fiction never occurred to me. Thanks for that, it's going to be a useful extra mental tool for listening to feedback.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2016, 12:06:18 PM »

Whoa, that is a great analogy, Thunderscreech.  Great enough that it would be cool to share it beyond this contest.  Do you have a blog?  Would you be interested in a guest post on mine?

Seriously, really good, really solid idea there.

This can be one of the really difficult parts about starting to write is learning to take feedback.  I've seen so many times a new writer just explain in response to a critique.  No matter how much the explanation makes sense, the story won't be published with an explanation, so the story's gotta handle that itself.
Thunderscreech
Matross

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2016, 12:27:26 PM »

Thanks!  If you think it's worth sharing, then sure.  I've never done a guest post anywhere (excepting those times when I broke into computers as a teenager but those were less 'guest posts' than 'un-approved console login messages'), sounds neat.  My blog (alphahole.net) is more of a place where I post silly pictures and personal stories and has the ongoing readership of an archived geocities page (infrequent and typically accidental).
Estelindis
Extern

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2016, 10:17:31 PM »

Hey! Smiley
eytanz

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2016, 05:53:59 AM »

As of this morning, all stories have been posted - we will now have a week to wait while the remaining groups are voted on, and the round 2 groups will be posted next Saturday.
Thunderscreech
Matross

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2016, 07:28:41 AM »

A week each for these last two rounds is brutal!  The round 2 threads are ghost towns, the only thing changing is the 'view' count on the voting threads.  Cheesy  I can just imagine offices around the world with authors mechanically clicking 'Refresh' as they gaze into their flickering monitors.  "Did someone vote?  No.  How about now?  ....no.  (pause)  There, I showed self control, I didn't refresh for almost a minute, has anyone voted?  ...........no.  k.  Ok, we'll get through this.  Only 11 days to go.  (click)"
Not-a-Robot
Hipparch

Now 100% biological and 3 x more optimism!

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2016, 10:14:35 AM »

A week each for these last two rounds is brutal!  The round 2 threads are ghost towns, the only thing changing is the 'view' count on the voting threads.  Cheesy  I can just imagine offices around the world with authors mechanically clicking 'Refresh' as they gaze into their flickering monitors.  "Did someone vote?  No.  How about now?  ....no.  (pause)  There, I showed self control, I didn't refresh for almost a minute, has anyone voted?  ...........no.  k.  Ok, we'll get through this.  Only 11 days to go.  (click)"

By gar Thunderscreech! Talk about exaggeration, I only logged on 7 or 8 times today, at most, to check if the vote tally has changed. Nope, hasn't changed... *wanders off to sleep until Saturday.
Thunderscreech
Matross

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »

I only logged on 7 or 8 times today, at most, to check if the vote tally has changed.
A true ascetic!  Your self control is humbling, I shall endeavor to- brb, gotta go check tally.

Sorry, what was I saying?
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2016, 08:59:25 AM »

You gotta give both the office people and the weekend people a chance to read the stories and vote.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
MeganGW
Extern

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2016, 10:50:16 PM »

Hi everyone!
Moritz
Lochage

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2016, 10:37:45 AM »

I feel really bad for not participating in the voting and reading - was very busy with work and traveling schedules Sad
Didn't even vote for my own story, not that it would have helped.
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »

I feel really bad for not participating in the voting and reading - was very busy with work and traveling schedules Sad
Didn't even vote for my own story, not that it would have helped.

It's not too late to make a difference in the finals. Currently third place is tied, so every vote really does count.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Dantzel
Palmer

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2016, 03:54:37 PM »

Not a big deal, but are the entries ever officially 'rejected' on Submittable?
adrianh
Hipparch

« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2016, 05:42:31 AM »

Mine was FWIW.
Hamletta
Extern

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »

Mine is still marked as "in progress"...
Not-a-Robot
Hipparch

Now 100% biological and 3 x more optimism!

« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2016, 11:59:19 AM »

Ha - I just got my rejection  Grin Thanks for clearing that out guys  Grin
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2016, 08:31:44 AM »

Just got mine too.  I had assumed it rejected a while ago, but good to get confirmation of it. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: