Author Topic: Best Villains  (Read 35471 times)

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
on: July 10, 2007, 11:03:09 PM
Who are your top 5 favorite villains of all time? Looking for individual villains here, not entire races or classes of beings.

Mine, in order...
5. Doctor Doom
4. Dracula
3. Judge Death (Judge Dredd)
2. The Master (Doctor Who)
1. Darth Vader
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 07:21:12 PM by Holden »

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 12:19:41 AM
Todd Bowden
Ming the Merciless
Lady MacBeth
Count Dracula
The Joker

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 02:00:22 AM
1. Dennis Hopper as Frank Booth in Blue Velvet
2. Darth Vader
3. Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
4. The much-imitated Ernst Stavro Blofeld, with his white persian cat, and "violet-scented breath".
5. A tie, between Gul Dukat of ST:DS9 and the Borg Queen.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 01:44:12 PM
5 - Tie: Apophis or Anubis (both from Stargate SG-1 and depending on which seasons one prefers)
4 - Alfred Bester (from Babylon 5)
3 - Professor Moriarty
2 - The Borg Queen
1 - Hal 9000

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 04:26:28 PM
In no particular order:

Lady Cassandra (from Dr. Who): No agenda.  No sinister secrets.  Just frankly, unabashedly selfish, like real people you know.

Johnny Dread (from Otherland): Wow, is this dude evil!  He's a serial killer, but he's not crazy: He's adopted megalomania as a life philosophy.

Samara Morgan (from The Ring): A monster that can scare the socks off you and evoke pity at the same time.

Agent Smith (from The Matrix): Self-righteous disdain for human vermin brings out emotion in even the most disciplined computer program.

Matilda Shunlov (my own character): She's not evil.  She deserves to rule the world!  If people don't recognize her genius, it's their problem.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 04:34:53 PM by Mr. Tweedy »

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 05:17:25 PM
1. Darth Vader -- my childhood terror.  Nobody can top him.
2. Samara (the Ring) -- Gotta go with Mr. Tweedy on this one.  She's one of the few movie characters that's terrified me as an adult.
3. Dracula
4. Ben (TV's Lost) -- dude just creeps me out. 
5. Dolores Umbridge (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) -- I haven't seen the new movie but I just reread the book.  I think I hate her more than Voldermort.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 05:22:50 PM
Best Villains EVER is a pretty hard list to put together without limiting it to a subgenre.

5.  Seymour Guado (Final Fantasy X) -- if only for the scene where Yuna defies him and jumps off the building.  I swear I cried.

4.  G'mork (Neverending Story) -- that wolf scared the crap out of me.  In the book he's even more sinister, but less scary.

3.  Lucius Malfoy (Harry Potter) -- Voldemort may be the big bad dude but Malfoy is the one who schemes and plots and plans.

2.  The Operative (Serenity) -- one of the most well-rounded villains I've ever seen.

1.  General Zod (Superman II) -- you will kneel before him.

I wish I could've fit a Discworld reference on here, but really, in those books everyone's fighting against stupidity and somewhat two-dimensional villains, not actual super-villains.

I think before someone puts the President at #1 we should qualify that we're talking about fictional villains, not real-life ones.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 06:22:00 PM
5. Dolores Umbridge (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) -- I haven't seen the new movie but I just reread the book.  I think I hate her more than Voldermort.

Word, DKT!

I think before someone puts the President at #1 we should qualify that we're talking about fictional villains, not real-life ones.

Lame, Listener.  Very lame.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 06:34:25 PM

Word, DKT!

Seriously....W could only be #2 - at best.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

eytanz

Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 06:36:51 PM

I agree. It's totally biased and partisan to claim that the president isn't fictional.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 07:24:33 PM
As tempting as it is to explain why many of us feel zero shame or regret in having voted for said President, that isn't at all what this thread is for.  This is for listing the baddest villains of fiction, and it was quite fun while it was that, but it will not be fun if we descend into bickering predicated on the statement that a particular person is evil.  So please, let the bashing of W end here and let's get back to the fun stuff.

If anybody wants to start a "George Bush Sucks!" thread, I won't complain, but that's not this thread.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 11:30:51 PM
Thank you, Tweedy.

In no particular order.

Sauron
Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs
The girl from The Ring was an excellent choice
The Alan Rickman character from Die Hard
The Kurgen from Highlander

This is probably against the spirit of this list, but the Borg, The Cylons, The Reavers, and of course Romero Zombies are all great leaderless villains. 

I found the Borg Queen very disappointing.  The Star Trek universe has a dearth of interesting aliens.  Most of them are humans with a particular personality type and a piece of rubber glued to their forehead.  The Borg were maybe the only really thought provoking alien the Star Trek writers had ever come up with, and the appearance of the Borg Queen reduced them to just another army of robots with a megalomaniacal leader. 

I'm conflicted regarding Darth Vader.  As far as giving off an evil vibe, no one can beat him.  But he doesn't do that much evil stuff, and then at the end of Jedi all is supposed to be forgiven.   He seems to be more of a thug.  The Emperor is the real villain, but he lacks Vader's presence.  Vader is a bully who can do magic tricks...*cough*...collar getting tight...hard to breathe....

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 03:02:05 PM
This is probably against the spirit of this list, but the Borg, The Cylons, The Reavers, and of course Romero Zombies are all great leaderless villains. 

Presumably one could also add the Daleks, Cybermen, Shadows, Replicators, and Photino Birds to the above list of good leaderless villains.

However, the ultimate leaderless sf villain is probably human nature.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:06:00 PM by AarrowOM »

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 03:59:18 PM
If anybody wants to start a "George Bush Sucks!" thread, I won't complain, but that's not this thread.

I think any thread on that topic would quickly invoke "Rule #2"

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 07:20:35 PM
Presumably one could also add the Daleks, Cybermen, Shadows, Replicators, and Photino Birds to the above list of good leaderless villains.

The Daleks had a leader - Davros. He wasn't exactly five star villain material, though.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 07:55:58 PM
I agree with wakela about the Borg Queen and Darth Vader, and for his reasons.

The cool thing about Sauron was that we never see him, not once, ever, and what he looks like isn't even described by anyone (that I recall; it's been a while since I read LOTR).  He's the ultimate example of idea that things are usually scarier when you don't see them.  Reading the books, you get this potent yet totally amorphous feeling of dread, like Sauron is malice and lust and hubris, not so much that he has those qualities as that those are the things he's made of.  Being in his presence doesn't sound so much like being in front of a big scary guy as being enveloped in this cloud of evil, like the psychic equivalent of mustard gas.

The fact the Tolkien never describes his appearance is masterful.  The thing, I think, that makes Samara such a scary monster is that there is nothing you can do to escape her.  Once you've seen The Tape, you're in her power.  You can become her servant or you can die: There isn't any third option.  Some slasher with a knife you can fight, you can defeat.  You can check in your closet to see if he's in there.  Supernatural baddies always have some weakness that you can use to fight them.  Not Samara.  Even being nice to her doesn't work.  Because Sauron is never described, he maintains that same kind of menace.  You can't imagine anyone fighting him or struggling to defeat him.  He hasn't got a body, just a presence, once you're in it, you're screwed no how big your sword is.

Hey, it just occurred to me that Sauron putting his essence in the Ring to stave off death is very similar to Voldemort making horcruxes in Harry Potter.  In either case, you can kill the villain's body, but his soul is safely stowed away somewhere, waiting to be reborn.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 08:19:40 PM
I hear the arguement against Darth Vader but a thug?  That's Boba Fett.  I saw Vader on the big screen as a kid and he was the epitome of evil.  If I saw the movies now instead of when I was 3, I might think differently -- he's definitely one of those tragic characters, like King Lear or (IMO) Severus Snape.  But him cutting off Luke's hand *and* freezing Han Solo all in about 20 minutes?  Scarred me for life  ;)

The Emperor in Jedi -- he was absolute evil.  He was a close runner-up on the list.  I remember being freak out when I saw him electrocute Luke on the big screen.

Did anyone see the Ring 2?  Was it any good?  I keep meaning to see the Japanese movies, but haven't yet.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 08:58:22 PM
DO NOT SEE RING 2!!!  IT SUCKS!

It is the epitome of the cheap knock-off sequel that exists solely to cash in on the popularity of the original.  It's so bad that its cheese will rub off on your memory of Ring 1 and diminish it.

The Japanese version (Ringu) is decent, but not half as good as the Gore Verbinski version we know and fear.  Its script and execution and almost identical, but not as good.  See it if you're curious: It's interesting but no great.

Avoid Ring 2 like a cursed video.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 11:42:12 AM
I'll just add Captain Nemo

You sympathize with him. You understand him. But you still hate him.

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 01:47:23 PM
5. Gargamel - using Smurf blood to make gold since 1959

4. Skeletor - How exactly is a skeleton THAT yoked? Are there steroids for skeletons? Did just his facial muscles decompose leaving the rest of his body in peak physical condition?

3. Count Chokula - Made his way on to many of our childhood tables. A blood sucking monster instilling fear into us every morning as our parents made us eat his puffy chocolate balls

2. Hamburgler - Little known fact: The hamburgler is a diabolical mastermind. His public hamburger malfecence is in fact a ruse; a use of misdirection from his true crimes as... The headburgler. (story coming soon)

1. Satan - With the exception of South Park's interpretation, pretty much the worst of everything, incarnate. AND!... He's eternal. Can't beat that.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 07:32:40 PM by BrandtPileggi »

Zathras

Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 06:13:49 PM
Wow, tough to narrow down to five.   Here's my list:

5. HAL 9000 from 2001
4. T-1000 Robot (Robert Patrick) from T2
3. Gaear Grimsrud (the quiet villain played by Peter Stormare) from Fargo
2. Frank Booth (Dennis Hopper) from Blue Velvet
1. Mr. Morden (Ed Wasser) from Babylon 5
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 06:25:14 PM by Zathras »

Zathras

Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 06:20:04 PM
DO NOT SEE RING 2!!!  IT SUCKS!

It is the epitome of the cheap knock-off sequel that exists solely to cash in on the popularity of the original.  It's so bad that its cheese will rub off on your memory of Ring 1 and diminish it.

I agree.  There were a couple of scenes that I liked but overall it not good, just a way to squeeze a bit more money out of folks like myself that loved the original.  I liked the scene where Rachael and crazy Aidan were driving through the woods and encounted the deer herd.  I also thought Sissy Spacek was spooky good as Samara's mom.   

I am sorry to report that Dreamworks has announced that there will be a Ring 3. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 06:23:25 PM by Zathras »

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 06:44:02 PM
I am sorry to report that Dreamworks has announced that there will be a Ring 3. 

:(

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 03:33:49 PM
5. Joker
4. The Governor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead)
3. Verminaard (Dragonlance)
2. Dr. Doom and the Red Skull
1. Sauron and Voldemort - both essentially came back from the dead, have great power and powerful underlings

I apologize for dissing someone else's list, however, Vader was a serious badass in movies 4 and 5 -he'd be #1 villian in my book based on those movies - however, in 6 and 1-3 they really wussified him.

Mr. Morden was definitely evil, though I rank him with say Wormtongue (from LOTR).  I thought Bester (Walter Koenig) was far more villianous.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 03:40:32 PM
5. Gargamel - using Smurf blood to make gold since 1959
Is he really evil if he never actually accomplished his goal - in all the books and cartoons, he never actually gets it done, does he?  Not one drop of blue smurf blood is ever spilled - he even created Smurfette.

Reminds me of this story where evil Dr. Sivana (arch nemisis of Shazam-Capt. Marvel) gets a Noble Prize (for peace I think) after a huge cache of his invenstions is discovered.  He considered them failures because they were so helpful to humanity - a Calming Ray (stress reduction), a Weather Machine that only made pleasant weather (a Light refreshing rain, a warm breeze, etc).