Author Topic: EP525: Among the Living  (Read 11784 times)

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 06:07:57 AM
This was such an amazing story. Unlike a similar past story whose name eludes me (um, Caribbean narrator in a big combat-ish suit, lost her sister, south side of Chicago in ruins), I felt like the descriptions of the tech were exactly enough so that I was able to picture everything well but not get too distracted from the actual story. First responders are amazing people, and this was a beautiful tribute to their sacrifice, and also their heart. Nicely done!

That was Into the Breach by Malon Edwards, EP 436, which I also loved, but for different reasons than why I loved this story.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 01:26:39 AM
This was such an amazing story. Unlike a similar past story whose name eludes me (um, Caribbean narrator in a big combat-ish suit, lost her sister, south side of Chicago in ruins), I felt like the descriptions of the tech were exactly enough so that I was able to picture everything well but not get too distracted from the actual story. First responders are amazing people, and this was a beautiful tribute to their sacrifice, and also their heart. Nicely done!

That was Into the Breach by Malon Edwards, EP 436, which I also loved, but for different reasons than why I loved this story.

Yes! Thank you!

Hercules Mulligan

• Extern
Reply #27 on: April 24, 2016, 09:19:13 PM
I'll let Escape Pods build up and then churn through several on a Sunday afternoon while cooking. This story stopped me cold. The best episode I've listened to in months. Now I'm desperate to know more about the author.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 01:00:19 AM
I'll let Escape Pods build up and then churn through several on a Sunday afternoon while cooking. This story stopped me cold. The best episode I've listened to in months. Now I'm desperate to know more about the author.

I think we all are - this was all I could scrape together: http://escape-artists.wikia.com/wiki/John_Markley

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

SF.Fangirl

• Peltast
Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 02:35:58 PM
Best story in a long time. And what everyone else said.

I also had audio problems with too much bass in my car.  After the first few minutes I restarted from the beginning and then was totally absorbed especially once I got the feel for world.  That's one thing with audio - the listener is not in control of the pace like a reader and can't pause or easily go back a reread so I do struggle when the world building is not simple.  This story was completely worth it though.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 01:56:07 PM
Wow! This story was so well done. What impresses me most is the way many people have posted how this story affected them, but not all the "triggers" were the same.  I too was deeply affected, with tears and everything (I found the whole story very, very depressing!!). But I didn't feel manipulated, which is how I often feel with stories that hit me in the chest. Really, really well done!