Author Topic: Do you use them?  (Read 6437 times)

CastGauge

• Extern
on: July 16, 2007, 06:42:56 AM
Hello Podcast Listeners,

This question is more intended to those of you who only listen to podcasts. Do you ever use directories such as Podcast Alley, Podcast Pickle, etc to find new podcasts? Do you enjoy the experience? What would make it more enjoyable? What would it need to offer for you to be more inclined to use them?

Thanks for the input!

Chris
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 06:48:29 AM by CastGauge »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:55:30 AM
at FIRST, my first podcast, i wanted to see what was out there, so i searched around on podcast alley, and thats where Air Out My Shorts caught my eye.  Since then ive been doing what i like to call "pod-jumping".  Where if I hear on a podcast i'm currently listening to, about another podcast, and it seems cool, i'll check it out.  ex. i heard on Air Out My Shorts about Escape Pod.  so i checked it out... and well im here now!  From EP ive gone on to about 10 other podcasts. :)

My major problem with podcast alley and the lot is that the most popular podcasts STAY popular because they are on the popular list.  lists like that dont give other podcasts a chance unless they get into the list from the get go.  i prefer to hear whats good from people who's opinions i value (the people on the podcasts i listen to)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:04:32 AM
I like the iTunes list, because it measures downloads going through iTunes.  I don't like the sites where people vote for the podcasts, because the top rated shows are always the ones that  spend a lot of time begging for votes.

pralala

• Extern
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:07:20 PM
Every few months or so I clean out my podcast list (EP is one of the only podcasts I've been listing to consistantly since I started listening to Podcasts).

I then start subscribing to new podcasts I have heard about - I keep a list. :) Typically I use iTunes and Podcast Pickle.

CastGauge

• Extern
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:40:58 PM
Pralala:

What features do you like about Podcast Pickle?

Russel Nash:

What do you think of the sites that constantly reset their list?

pralala

• Extern
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 03:50:13 PM
I like the fact that it has ratings and the list of popular podcasts by genre. One thing I hate about iTunes is that their genres are SO populated by "professional" podasts - not that I don't love the NPR ones, but I'm really tired of searching for, say, sports podcasts or gaming podcasts, and only coming up with ESPN and G4 TV podcasts. I really like that podcast pickle shows what I consider "real" podcasts - not necessarily networked podcasts. ;)

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 05:30:31 PM
Russel Nash:

I don't know what sites those would be.  I've been to the ones everybody mentions and they always have JCHutchens and Soccergirl at the top.  I hate all of the podcasts that are just traing to be Howard Stern knock offs, where they just turn on a mic and ramble and then call it a show.  These sites always seem to feature these 'casts.  I havvve no use for these lists anymore.  A show gets tried out by me if they read for EP or if they get mentioned on a 'cast I listen to.

CastGauge

• Extern
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 06:16:20 PM
Russel Nash:

I don't know what sites those would be.  I've been to the ones everybody mentions and they always have JCHutchens and Soccergirl at the top.  I hate all of the podcasts that are just traing to be Howard Stern knock offs, where they just turn on a mic and ramble and then call it a show.  These sites always seem to feature these 'casts.  I havvve no use for these lists anymore.  A show gets tried out by me if they read for EP or if they get mentioned on a 'cast I listen to.

Podcast Pickle and Podcast Alley both reset their lists. Podcast Pickle does it on quarterly schedule. Podcast Alley does it on a monthly basis.

Chris

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 08:14:00 AM
i think if casegauge wants a podcasting focus grop he needs to pay us the going rate.

who you working for gauge?

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

CastGauge

• Extern
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 08:18:51 AM
i think if casegauge wants a podcasting focus grop he needs to pay us the going rate.

who you working for gauge?

CastGauge is a sole proprietorship right now. I'm looking into what options to include. So unfortunately I can't afford to pay anything, but give you guys my thanks for answering a few questions :-)

Chris

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 09:49:23 AM
i dont beleave you
youre one of them, them i say!!
run forumites run for youre lives!

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 02:19:15 AM
The only list I've used is the iTunes Store list. Mostly though, I'm "pod-jumping", as Bdoomed puts it. I'll google for authors' names mentioned in podcasts, even if there's no podcast feed specifically mentioned. I think that's how I came across "Brave Men Run" and "How to Talk To Girls At Parties".

I'm still fairly new to listening to podcasts and new audiobooks on my iPod though, as opposed to listening to music, OTR shows, and audiobooks from librivox.org (which are mostly PD works from before 1924). It was about two months ago that I began 'to see the appeal of the program'*, and there's a lot of new territory to explore.

* Commander Worf, in ST:TNG episode A Fist full of Data.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")