Author Topic: PC463: A Dozen By Dunsany  (Read 3081 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: April 04, 2017, 10:31:10 PM
PodCastle 463: A Dozen By Dunsany

by Lord Dunsany

read by Wilson Fowlie, Setsu Uzume, Graeme Dunlop, Eric Luke, Matt Dovey, Aidan Doyle, Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali, Cheyenne Wright, Tina Connolly, Steve Anderson, Jen Albert, Amal el-Mohtar.

hosted by Peter Wood, MK Hobson, Dave Thompson.

First published in Fifty-One Tales in April, 1915.

Rated PG.

• The True Story of the Hare and the Tortoise
    Chosen by Samantha Brandt (Talia); Read by Wilson Fowlie
    Note: “I enjoyed the rather dark interpretation of a fable generally considered benign.”
  • The Sphinx at Giza
    Chosen & Read by Setsu Uzume
    Note: “I love that the sense of doom and futility in all three, and the juxtaposition of eternal forces with finite human experience. It speaks to the artist’s experience, trying to capture something eternal in mediums as finite as smeared oils and chicken scratch.”
  • The Song of the Blackbird
    Chosen & Read by Graeme Dunlop
    Note: “I love it for this line: “It was new then.” As in, everything old is new again.”
  • The Tomb of Pan
    Chosen by Raj K. Gopal; Read by Eric Luke
    Note: “There is something beautiful to me about the holiness of joy and hedonism and humanity somehow managing to survive the holiness of sobriety and rigidity and ideology. “
  • A Moral Little Tale
    Chosen & Read by Matt Dovey
    Note: “I don’t believe personal happiness can ever be an evil. There is an infinite pool of happiness to go around, if only we’d let each other share in it without judgement.”
  • Death and the Orange
    Chosen & Read by Aidan Doyle
    Note: “I’ve had to deal with some strange fruit in my travels and I appreciate the description of “a small orange which had an evil laughter in its heart.”
  • Alone the Immortals
    Chosen & Read by Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
    Note: “I was intrigued by the title and the melancholic/dark feel of the tale.”
  • Time and the Tradesman
    Chosen by Krystal Claxton; Read by Cheyenne Wright
    Note: “So the personification of Time showed up in a lot, A LOT, of these and I liked “Time and the Tradesmen” best. The Roman god pettiness of Time smiting a human merely to state that he is not to be fucked with left me oddly satisfied.”
  • The Sphinx in Thebes (Massachusetts)
    Chosen by Peter Wood; Read by Tina Connolly
  • The Return of Song
    Chosen by Peter Wood; Read by Steve Anderson
  • Charon
    Chosen & Read by Jen R. Albert
    Note: “It’s oddly sweet and I’ve always liked the whole boatman thing.”
  • After the Fire
    Chosen by Troy Wiggins; Read by Amal El-Mohtar
    Note: “I like to think that mankind’s great ideas will outlive us even when everything that we know is destroyed. Also, we’re a lot more awesome than mammoths.”
Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:56:40 PM
I have to be honest...this set of stories zoned me out.  I was about three quarters through the first one, and I my brain was just not being held to the stories.  Later on, I found myself thinking, "Oh, is this episode still playing?"

I'm pretty sure I let it run all the way through, but I'm not sure I really heard all of it.  And while there were different narrators to help show the breaking from one story to the next, in the end that didn't really help me, as they didn't keep my attention.

Perhaps they would have been better off as flash pieces, in groups of 3 or maybe 4...or less?  Perhaps they would have been more memorable that way?

Failure is an event, not a person.