Author Topic: Harry Potter 7 :: WARNING!!! :: SPOILERS INSIDE!!! ::  (Read 36620 times)

Russell Nash

I'm throwing out a proposal here and I hope everyone is up for it.

No matter what any of us think about this series, starting saturday there is going to be a lot of disscussion about how Rowling decided to end the series.  I would like to request that all talk about that be limited to this thread.  None of us needs to be reading through a thread for the next story and read, "just like in HP 7 when…".

Some of us will be finished this book by saturday afternoon, Some of us will take our time , and some of us won't get to it for a long time.  Let's all try and be considerate.

Everything posted in this thread after friday night should be considered to be loaded with spoilers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 11:16:55 PM by Bdoomed »

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:10:53 AM

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 06:41:09 PM
Thanks, dude.  I'm at the point now where if I see anything about Harry Potter 7 online, I close the window.  I'll check back in here after I finish Deathly Hallows (which will probably take a little longer than the average Escape Artist). 

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 10:22:09 PM
anyone who spoils it will be severly hated by many, and punished by whatever means i can do as a mod (dunno what that is tho :P)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 03:39:18 AM
How about no one post anything with spoilers until at least noon Saturday? That should be about when the church-of-the-all-night-tool'ers should be done.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 08:15:51 AM
Let's just let this be the free-for-all thread, and be nice everywhere else.  There are going to be people who need to talk about it. I just wanted them to have a place to vent.

There's already a review in the NYTimes.  You made need to sign up to read it, but I've done that and there are no spams or anything.  I haven't read it.  I don't know about spoilers.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 02:31:49 PM
If anyone's interested, we've put together a special section on 11Alive.com, guaranteed spoiler-free in that you won't actually see any spoilers ON the page, though you can click to places where you can see them if you want.

http://www.11alive.com/life/article_life.aspx?storyid=100343

I'm mostly curious about whether it's going to be a year at Hogwarts or a shorter book (timewise) in that, ie, Harry searches for the Horcruxes through, say, November, then has the final battle in December or somesuch.

My wife has read the ending (spoilers) and has been kind enough not to share them with me, for which I am glad.  My book is coming in the mail tomorrow, and I plan to stay away from any current TV, internet, or radio until I've finished it.  We have plenty of stuff on TiVo and tape to watch, and of course baby to play with.

After HP5 got spoiled for me accidentally by TotalFark, the above policy is the one I took with HP6 and it served me well.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 07:51:53 PM
I have to say, I love the Times, I have a college prof. that works there, I would love to work there, but I was downright pissed at them for posting a review on the mainpage. Granted, only a short blurb was there, but after a while of going to the site, well, reading/scanning is automatic, and I'd gotten through half of it before realizing what it was.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 08:04:13 PM
Why?  Did it give a lot of spoilers? 

(If you haven't read Half-Blood Prince, DO NOT continue reading.  Even though I suspsect everyone reading this has read it already.)

When Goblet of Fire came out in the theaters, I remember thumbing threw an Entertainment Weekly with Harry Potter on the cover (this was around the time Half-Blood Prince came out).  I looked at one of the sidebars in the article and misread: Don't read this if you haven't read Half Blood Prince to read Don't read this if you haven't read Goblet of Fire.  And I read the sidebar because I thought, bah, I've read Goblet of Fire -- I don't care if they spoil the movie...I want to know if it's going to be good or not.  And then I read about Snape killing Dumbledore and thought, who the HELL wrote the adaptation for this one?  Snape never did that.  Then I went and reread the spoiler warning and it all sunk in...

I'd already blown the ending and I hadn't even started reading the book (my wife still had it).

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 08:07:30 PM
Some asshat friended my Wizard Rock band's MySpace* just to post the spoilers.  Three times.

I saw the word VOLDEMORT and I saw the word PAGE and I immediately looked down and changed windows to a different browser.  Then I had a coworker who doesn't care about Harry Potter go in for me and delete the spoilers.

So watch out... people are being asshats and ruining it for everyone.

Speaking of Wizard Rock... Enjoy...

* don't laugh... oh, okay, laugh, go ahead

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 08:53:49 PM
So...which band is yours?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 03:54:46 AM
Im gettin HP7 in the mail tomorrow too! and im plannin on readin it before i go to work (Coldstone if anyone is wondering), during work, and after work.  Im gonna absorb everything i can :P
and im staying away from youtube and all those other collective sites.  scary stuff there.

i almost had the end of HP6 ruined for me but i got away in time. heh.  i remember reading that part and i was SOOO shocked.  i recently (last week) reread hp6 to remember stuff, and i realized how much i loved the books.  i read 250+ pages in 3 hours... from 12am-3am.  3 nights in a row... ^_^

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 10:03:28 AM
Finished. 5 hours, 30 minuteish. It's good, and it gives a measure of closure that's comforting.

Er, spoilers below, in white and small if I do it right. After the next cycle of the sun I'll take it out.

Well, I was reading quickly, and some bits tended to go a bit wonky, but I suspect that's more the remnants of my fever/cough and my falling out of practice of staying up all night when at home from college. I'll probably go back and reread it, slower, after I sleep for some period of time. I do wonder if Harry was always meant to live, though he always did have to die.

I'll note I ramble at 6am.

I have a feeling the epilogue was a gift to the fan fic'ers.

Now sleep.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 09:26:24 AM by Russell Nash »

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 10:10:06 PM
This whole circus is fun even for those of us who don't read Potter.  It reminds me of feeding time at the zoo.  :)  I don't mean that to sound insulting: it's like being around kids at Christmas, and the excitement is infectious.

Are the books really that good, or just addictive?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 12:19:28 AM
They're good. Better as they went along, but that's to be expected. Addicting's not quite the right word, just spellbinding, like any other book.

It's more of a my generation thing, because the books grew up with (or really, about 2 years behind) me/us.

eytanz

Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 12:57:00 AM
I wouldn't pin it too much on the generation thing - I was 21 when I read the first book, and I'm 30 now, and I still found them very good. Not perfect, but no less worthy of the fan following than, say, the Lord of the Rings or the Narnia books are worthy of their own followings.

I just finished reading the 7th book, which I read cover to cover in about 6 hours. I enjoyed it very much. I felt it managed to close most of the loose ends from previous novels in a very satisfactory manner, though a lot of the characters sort of got shunted to the sidelines.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 11:40:34 AM
It's either going to be a very long and very expensive movie or they are going to have to cut a LOT of things out.
I did enjoy the book, though.

However you feel about the Harry Potter series, you have to give J.K. Rowling a lot of praise just for getting kids to read.  15 years ago, you couldn't get most U.S. kids into a bookstore and now they think it's cool to be reading Harry Potter. That's a gigantic turn-around. 

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 06:19:20 PM
Finiiiiished! I read from 12:30 to 5:22am last night... yawn. But i just couldnt put it down!
I dont know what it is about them but i just love em!

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 06:23:44 PM
Is it safe to discuss spoiler-type stuff yet?

I have one thing that wasn't really a spoiler, but was the only thing that really surprised me, and it happened in the first few chapters:

Ginny was about to give it up to Harry.  I actually LOL'd.

Finished it in about five non-consecutive hours.  I can say it lived up to the hype, which was massive, so that's quite high praise, although some things happened that I wasn't really a fan of.

Commentary with spoilers:  http://listener42.livejournal.com/17631.html
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 09:29:38 AM by Russell Nash »

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 08:49:14 PM
Let's say that if you read any father than this line, you're accepting that there are spoilers that are going to be posted. Maybe Russell Nash can post that in the topic or we could do a separate spoiler thread?

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 10:03:59 PM
Just to make it obvious

THERE ARE SPOILERS BEYOND HERE

There, that should do it.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 10:04:27 PM
And just to make it official - Voldomort dies.  :P

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 11:06:02 PM
You forgot about people who monitor the forums via most recent posts.  :(

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 11:16:12 PM
true...
ill edit the title of this thread to say WARNING: SPOILERS INSIDE!

done!

anyways, the last few chapters were REALLY good!  From Gringotts onwards i could not put the book down (and then it was 5:30 and i finally finished)
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!! :(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 11:18:11 PM by Bdoomed »

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 03:22:22 PM
Here's my take:

The only thing that really and truly surprised me about Harry Potter 7 was that Ginny almost gave Harry her virginity.

I was also rather pissed about the Muggle Studies professor getting a name. Dammit.

On the whole, I was very pleased, but toward the middle, Rowling pulled a Laurell K. Hamilton.  In the three Anita Blake books before "The Harlequin", which was very good, Hamilton basically pulls new powers for Anita out of thin air. It's like, oops, now she's even more powerful because of x, y, or z. Well, the Deathly Hallows are the same way. All of a sudden, Harry learns about this power that could rival Horcruxes. A little frustrating.

Also, the penultimate chapter was kind of upsetting in that I felt it was almost too much deus ex machina. When you go back through Star Wars I-III, you see where Lucas laid in bits to lead to IV-VI. In HP7, you get paid back for almost every seemingly useless detail of the past five books. But you also have to keep track of all of it. The whole thing where "Dumbledore" explains to Harry what just happened..? Come on.

I also think Chapter 35 totally cheapened Harry's sacrifice.

How I think it should have ended, before I even read HP7:  Harry and Voldemort fight. Voldemort mortally wounds Harry in Snape's presence, and Harry survives just long enough to see Snape kill Voldemort. But since Harry was the only witness to it, no one but the reader knows Snape really wasn't evil.

And then, what I think should have happened after Chapter 34: After Voldemort kills Harry -- really kills him -- he goes back to the school, fully intent on breaking his word and subjugating everyone who stood against him. Chapter 35 is nonexistent. Back at the school, all the same stuff happens except that Harry doesn't wake up. Also, we see that Neville has some sort of curse mark on him -- like, on his arm or something -- that he gets while fighting the Death Eaters. He kills Nagini, like Harry said he should, and then takes out Voldemort. They explain that his birthday was also July 31, and his parents thrice defied Voldemort, and look, here's a mark to mark him as his equal.

And finally... all that wandlore stuff felt to me like Rowling had written herself into a bit of a corner and needed a way out.

All that being said, I actually did like the book quite a lot. I had a few HA! moments, and for a second I was actually afraid that some fanfic would come true in that Snape and Lily were good friends until the end of 5th year, and I was kind of worried that they'd reconcile and we'd see that Snape was really Harry's father.

Overall, I think the book lived up to the hype, which is very high praise given just how much hype there was.

My friend Holly said she thinks HP7 is a very visual book that will play well as a film -- although I think it will have to be almost three full hours long, maybe even more -- but she worries that HP6 is so talky that huge chunks of it will be cut out so as not to bore people.