Escape Artists

News:

News

ATTENTION: NEW FORUM THEME Please see here for details: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=13188.0

Author Topic: EP115: Conversations With and About My Electric Toothbrush  (Read 38470 times)

goatkeeper

Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 01:26:36 AM
Great story and narration!! 

This story reminded me of the ongoing battle between Schick and Gillette for more and more razors...
New, Gillette-Ultra-Mach8-Power-XTreme Razor...now with 8 vibrating blades, 3 aloe strips and self awareness

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #41 on: July 27, 2007, 11:28:14 AM
Hmmm... not very Sci-Fi.
I mean, if you replaced the tooth brush with an angsty teenager, made the young man into the teen's father, changed the toothbrush's desire to become a milk frother in to the teen's desire for gender reassignment, had the young man-turned father get romantically interested in someone he meets through his child, and instead of locking down the house network he changes all the house's locks, it's really just your typical saturday afternoon special. *yawn*

*lol* ok, just kidding.
Actually I really enjoyed this story. My girl and I listened to it on a road trip this past weekend and were laughing our butts off. This was a great find!
Thanks gang!

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

VBurn

• Peltast
  • I am just an egg
Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 08:56:38 PM
You acctually made me laugh with that one Thaurismunths.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #43 on: July 28, 2007, 07:50:15 PM
You acctually made me laugh with that one Thaurismunths.
Thanks V.
But after listening to this week's intro, I'm sure it looks like I'm just picking on Steve.
No offence anyone!

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #44 on: July 29, 2007, 06:05:33 AM
But after listening to this week's intro, I'm sure it looks like I'm just picking on Steve.
No offence anyone!

'S cool.  'S funny.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Atara

• Extern
Reply #45 on: July 29, 2007, 01:07:03 PM
This story was great. Funny, short, and the joke didn't seem overplayed. I guess I'm a big fan of the "sentient appliance" genre, since the Red Dwarf toaster cracks me up, too.

Djerrid

• Extern
Reply #46 on: July 30, 2007, 03:28:56 AM
I DON'T WANT SPAM FROTHED MILK!!!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #47 on: July 30, 2007, 04:04:31 AM
changed the toothbrush's desire to become a milk frother in to the teen's desire for gender reassignment
heh, i would go more with the South Park becoming a dolphin angle more than a sex change.  but ya made me laugh with that Thaurismunths!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #48 on: July 30, 2007, 02:58:18 PM
changed the toothbrush's desire to become a milk frother in to the teen's desire for gender reassignment
heh, i would go more with the South Park becoming a dolphin angle more than a sex change.  but ya made me laugh with that Thaurismunths!
Oooh... good call!
Maybe I could have gone for dolphin sex, and I could have tied it to Ishmael as well?

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #49 on: July 30, 2007, 03:01:23 PM
Remember that one call from about EP30, were someone found a way to tie all of the ep's together in one huge universe.  I think it's time for another.

Homr Zodyssey

• Extern
Reply #50 on: August 01, 2007, 01:56:35 PM
I've been listening to EP for several months now, but never visited the forums.  I liked this story so much that I felt the need to come here and say so. 

I know its already been said, but I felt the narration was the best part.  The annoyingly chipper little voice used for the toothbrush greatly enhanced the humor of the story.

A few weeks ago, I made the mistake of introducing a friend to EP by playing the most recent story (EP 113: Ishmael in Love) for him.  He was far from impressed and we actually turned it off before the story was over. 

Episodes like EP115 are the ones that I really enjoy sharing with friends, and I may even be able to change his mind about EP.  Keep bringing entertaining stuff like this, and I'll keep trying to spread the gospel about you.

goatkeeper

Reply #51 on: August 01, 2007, 02:20:41 PM
Ishmail in Love is the kindof story that would have had me hooked me on Escapepod

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #52 on: August 01, 2007, 03:51:17 PM
115 was the first story I've been able to get my wife to listen to.  She really liked it.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Russell Nash

Reply #53 on: August 03, 2007, 08:01:28 PM
Hmmm... not very Sci-Fi.
I mean, if you replaced the tooth brush with an angsty teenager, made the young man into the teen's father, changed the toothbrush's desire to become a milk frother in to the teen's desire for gender reassignment, had the young man-turned father get romantically interested in someone he meets through his child, and instead of locking down the house network he changes all the house's locks, it's really just your typical saturday afternoon special. *yawn*

::Reaches into jacket and removes his Colt .45 1911 Zombie Killer Special.  Places it to Thauris' head and says "bang"::

Haha just kidding.

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #54 on: August 04, 2007, 03:49:58 AM
*raises Dufflebag of Doom and Destruction*

You wanna try that again Nash, or should I call out the Sandworms?

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #55 on: August 04, 2007, 11:27:56 AM
Hmmm... not very Sci-Fi.
::Reaches into jacket and removes his Colt .45 1911 Zombie Killer Special.  Places it to Thauris' head and says "bang"::
Hey, don't get snippy just because your opinion of SF is wrong.
Maybe if you learned to make emphatic statements based purely on someone else's un-founded opinion and Fox News (but I repeat myself) you'd be a little more discriminating and wouldn't get so upset when someone whose opinion is more right than yours tells you that 'self-aware appliances, does not SF make.' (to paraphrase The Bard)
: )

Russell Nash

Reply #56 on: August 04, 2007, 04:14:13 PM
Hmmm... not very Sci-Fi.
Hey, don't get snippy just because your opinion of SF is wrong.
Maybe if you learned to make emphatic statements based purely on someone else's un-founded opinion and Fox News (but I repeat myself) you'd be a little more discriminating and wouldn't get so upset when someone whose opinion is more right than yours tells you that 'self-aware appliances, does not SF make.' (to paraphrase The Bard)
: )

::Pulls Trigger::

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #57 on: August 05, 2007, 04:58:53 AM

::Goes directly to Zombie. Does not pass GO. Does not collect BRAAAIIINS!::

Russell Nash

Reply #58 on: August 05, 2007, 01:40:49 PM

Damnit!!

::Ejects Zombie jacket bullet clip.  Replaces with hollow tip bullet clip.::

Of course if that had been Robot seeking bullets instead of Zombie bullets, this whole thread deviation would have been SF.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #59 on: August 05, 2007, 07:25:22 PM
Damnit!!
::Ejects Zombie jacket bullet clip.  Replaces with hollow tip bullet clip.::
Of course if that had been Robot seeking bullets instead of Zombie bullets, this whole thread deviation would have been SF.
You'll want to think long and hard about your next move. Do you really want to make another mess for Bdoomed to mop up? uh..er, I meant: BRAAAAAAAIIINS!!!