Author Topic: PseudoPod 488: A Thing Of Terrible Beauty  (Read 3957 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: May 01, 2016, 08:03:31 PM
PseudoPod 488: A Thing of Terrible Beauty

by Roger Zelazny.

“A Thing Of Terrible Beauty” was first published in Fantastic Stories of Imagination, April 1963.

Roger Zelazny (1937 – 1995) was an American poet and writer of fantasy and science fiction short stories and novels, best known for The Chronicles of Amber. He won the Nebula award three times and the Hugo award six times. In his stories, Roger Zelazny frequently portrayed characters from myth, depicted in the modern world. Zelazny was also apt to include numerous anachronistic present-day elements and references to various drama classics into his fantasy and science-fiction works. His crisp, minimalistic dialogue also seems to be somewhat influenced by the style of wisecracking hardboiled crime authors, such as Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett. The tension between the ancient and the modern, surreal and familiar was what drove most of his work. He has a crustacean named after him! Many thanks to Trent Zelazny for working with us to share this story with you. While you’re in the mood for fiction, check out some of his work. We recommend starting with his excellent collection “The Day the Leash Gave Way and Other Stories“.

Your narrator – Ben Kohanski initially became interested in voice work thanks to Pseudopod. He has been an avid listener since all the way back in 2006, and having developed a love of audio fiction, decided to pursue narration. He has since professionally recorded and produced one audiobook, as well as a previous story for Pseudopod, and is available for contract on ACX (hint hint). Though he hails from the grim primordial forests of northwestern Connecticut, he currently lives in Niigata, Japan where he teaches English.

How like a god of the Epicureans is the audience, at a time like this! Powerless to alter the course of events, yet better informed than the characters, they might rise to their feet and cry out, “Do not!”—but the blinding of Oedipus would still ensue, and the inevitable knot in Jocasta’s scarlet would stop her breathing still.

But no one rises, of course. They know better. They, too, are inevitably secured by the strange bonds of the tragedy. The gods can only observe and know, they cannot alter circumstance, nor wrestle with ananke.

My host is already anticipating the thing he calls “catharsis.” My search has carried me far, and my choice was a good one. Phillip Devers lives in the theater like a worm lives in an apple, a paralytic in an iron lung. It is his world.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:08:10 AM by kibitzer »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:06:35 AM
hmmmmm?

aliceingoreland

• Extern
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 02:28:45 PM
 Zelazny was one the first writer I fell in love. And if you guessed his Amber books, you are right. I think heard a reading of one on the radio.

I liked that the thing from space didnt get all mopey about human life. It reflected the person who was his host. Human life had a vaule, it was in free bin instead of Prada, with or without heels.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:55:41 PM
hmmmmm?

I'm not sure what you're hmmmming about?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 01:59:45 PM
I've read a few of the Amber books and thoroughly enjoyed them.  Always great when a big-name author's estate is willing to work with publications to reprint.

This particular one didn't do much for me, though, I'm afraid.  I felt like it was an explanation (rather than exploration) of premise, the backstory to something longer. 

I'm curious what other people took from it because often when I am not greatly moved by something, another commenter will come along and talk about some angle of the story that had never occurred to me and then at least get a sense of what I missed even if I don't get it myself.

Not-a-Robot

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 02:02:22 PM
hmmmmm?

The title was wrong on the original post.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 02:08:55 PM
hmmmmm?

The title was wrong on the original post.

Ah!  In the current context, there was no way to tell that. Some quoted text would help context.  :)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 03:22:34 PM
Nope. The title was already corrected by the time I posted. I was just wondering at the lack of comments a week after a story by a famous author had gone live.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 04:37:50 PM
Nope. The title was already corrected by the time I posted. I was just wondering at the lack of comments a week after a story by a famous author had gone live.

Just the vaguaries of a crowd of random people's daily schedules I would guess.  I didn't get it listened to until yesterday.  :)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 10:05:50 PM

This particular one didn't do much for me, though, I'm afraid.  I felt like it was an explanation (rather than exploration) of premise, the backstory to something longer. 

I found the final line killer. "Bodiless again, I fled upward wishing there was something I could feel." Driving home that our capacity for emotion and empathy is a defining feature of humanity.

You might appreciate "24 Views of Mt. Fuji, by Hokusai". We considered it, but it would have run close to two hours. I have a fantasy about owning a chapbook of that with all the Hokusai illustrations at the chapter breaks.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Whaletale

• Palmer
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 03:38:36 PM
This story surprised me. I found it to be more tragedy then a horror.  Two old friends enjoying a final drink and one last conversation, knowing they'll never see one another again. Sure it was with a backdrop of an extraterrestrial parasite on the eve of the Apocalypse, but I found myself hoping for a "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" type of ending, with the parasite taking the host away from earth and onto the next adventure.