Author Topic: Pseudopod 011: Killing Jars  (Read 5091 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: October 08, 2009, 01:29:33 AM
Pseudopod 011: Killing Jars

By Matt Wallace
Read by Ben Phillips

His three judges, each face lit by two candle flames, are suspicious, and in and around them It seizes on that suspicion. It craves blood the color of their priestly robes.

He lies,
the divine’s voice sounds inside his own skull, though it is not him speaking. The devil that dwells within him spits upon the one true God’s deliverance. He will destroy you. They will see the Holy Church to ash.

“Heresy! Heresy!” Words of fervor and hot spittle that teem like maggots in the divine’s beard.

And this pious man feels the power of a tyrant, terrifying and intoxicating and It pushing him closer towards the moth-to-flame lure of that feeling. When they haul Reimbauer towards the vaulted ceiling, a gothic mockery of ascension, spiked collar around his neck peeling the top layer of flesh with every spasmodic jerk of his head, red veined salmon pink beneath.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 04:46:43 PM
Overall, not a bad story, if long-winded at times.  I am, however, going to delete it from my iPod and never listen to or speak of it again, because I want its memory completely gone from my mind in the event that I need a CAT scan or MRI.  So I guess that means the story succeeded as horror?

The first part of the story kind of dragged on.  If it had started as he was going to the hospital that would have kept the pace up a little bit better, but that's alright.

I definitely could've done without the historical sections.  For one, the transitions between times were not obvious to me, so there was major jarring each time the transitions happened.  Also, having a possessor which drives its hosts to do terrible things is less scary to me than just knowing there are crazy sumbitches out there somewhere.

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:50:33 PM
Just could not follow this one.  I gave up at the 12 minute mark after the action jumped between claustrophobic-future-Dane then to some nameless spiritual entity in a ship then to Dane-in-the-past-getting-injured.  I still have no idea what this story was about.  A real shame too, Ben's narration was trying so hard to keep it exciting (and was probably the only reason I listened as long as I did).

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

Emeraldkat

• Extern
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:17:28 PM
Okay, this is going to drive me nuts unless I post it someplace: the word at around 15min15sec is gibberish! Pronounced like this: jibberish. Not a hard 'g' sound! That just sounds terrible and totally distracted me from this story. Otherwise, I enjoyed it, but I have never heard anyone pronounce that word like that and now as hard as I try to complete the rest, that one word just sticks out to me...

Edit:And now getting through until near the end, around 33min20sec, the narrator also pronounces displasia funny too. The second s should sound like an 'sh' sound, not an s. Making it sound unfamiliar to me and it took me a few seconds to figure out what word was meant here.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:39:42 PM by Emeraldkat »