Author Topic: Pseudopod 495: Shut The Final Door  (Read 3907 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: June 23, 2016, 02:16:20 AM
Pseudopod 495: Shut The Final Door

by Joe L. Hensley.

“Shut The Final Door” was first published in Alchemy and Academe in November 1970. It is presented with permission from the estate through the assistance of the Virginia Kidd Agency..

JOE L. HENSLEY (1926 – 2007) was a lawyer, prosecuting attorney, member of the Indiana General Assembly, circuit court judge, science fiction fan, and writer of science fiction and mysteries. While working as a law student, lawyer, legislator and judge, Hensley wrote science fiction and crime fiction (and at least one auto-racing story for a pulp magazine) as Joe L. Hensley and Louis J. A. Adams. His first fiction sale was the short story “And Not Quite Human,” published in the September 1953 issue of Beyond Fantasy Fiction. His first published novel was The Color of Hate in 1960. He had 20 more novels and collections published (over half of them in the series featuring Indiana circuit judge Donald Robak, which began with 1971’s Deliver Us to Evil) and around 100 short stories. His collaborators in science fiction included Alexei Panshin and Harlan Ellison; he co-wrote one mystery novel (Loose Coins) with fellow Indiana prosecuting attorney Guy M. Townsend. His last novel, Snowbird’s Blood, was published in February 2008. Many of his mystery novels were set in the fictitious Bington, a place which combined aspects of Madison and Bloomington. Hensley remained active in science fiction fandom throughout his life; the Hensleys were familiar faces at science fiction conventions such as Rivercon and Midwestcon. Hensley was a First Fandom “Dinosaur” (which meant he had been active in fandom prior to July 4, 1939), and received the First Fandom Hall of Fame Award in 2006.

Your narrator – Patrick “The Voice” Bazile – Patrick is an American Actor/Voice Over Talent and a fresh sound in the voice over industry. Born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, Patrick has voiced everything from PSA’s to major product brands. With a deep, powerful voice often referred to as “The Voice of God” he commands attention.? Check Out: Patrick “The Voice” Bazile“.

This episode is sponsored by J.R. HAMANTASCHEN (who podcasts at The Horror Of Nachos And Hamantaschen) and his new story collection WITH A VOICE THAT IS OFTEN STILL CONFUSED BUT IS BECOMING EVER LOUDER AND CLEARER (which can be ordered here from AMAZON

The follow-up to his critically acclaimed collection, YOU SHALL NEVER KNOW SECURITY, J.R. Hamantaschen returns with another collection of his inimitable brand of weird, dark fiction. At turns despairing, resonant, macabre and insightful, these nine stories intend to stay with you.

9 out of 10 – “there are nine tales in this collection, each of satisfying length and immediately striking, from first page to last . . . stories that will grip you for their humanity and soul.” – Starburst Magazine

“eclectic, poignant, thought provoking .. . too awesome to pass up” – HorrorTalk

“Perturbing, anomalous stories that will bore into readers’ minds.” – Kirkus

Unequivocal Recommendation – ShockTotem

“True, great horror. I love this book.” – Chris Lackey, HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast

“Those who an artistic approach, psychological depth and small details are going to read through this collection and remember it for days to come.” — HorrorPalace

“Resonating, delectably weird and spooky collection, thoroughly enjoyable” – IndieReader (received Official IndieReader Stamp of Approval)

4 out of 5 – Scream Magazine

4 out of 5 – Hungry Monster Review

“The night was gentle and so Willie sat out on the combination fire escape and screened play area that hung in zigzags from the north side of the government-built, low-rent apartment building. He stayed out there in his wheelchair for a long time watching the world of lights from the other buildings around him. He liked the night. It softened the savage world, so that he could forget the things he saw and did in the day. Those things still existed, but darkness fogged them.”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:18:21 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Lorelei

• Extern
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 02:01:45 AM
Cliche Alert: Long time listener, first time commenter. Excellent story and narration, as usual. Palpable and vivid, timely and timeless. This podcast never lets me down. The host's comments at the end, about being different, in a less socially acceptable way, about the anger? So true, it's painful. Just registered to say thank you for the thoughtful story selections and host comments, and the insights they inspire. Hope this isn't too mushy, it's been a crappy day, which is an understatement, and this story and the comments afterward hit me hard. But somehow, left me better than I was? Horror writing is a strange and powerful thing...

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 02:11:53 AM
Thank you for your comments - we try very hard to vary the show content and appreciate when listeners are willing to come along for the ride!

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 09:17:57 AM
I really rather liked this. Struck some of the same chords for me as Jerome Bixby's "It's a Good Life" — but written from the child's POV.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 01:49:25 PM
Hmmm...  Trying to recall what this one was about after a bit of a forum hiatus.  Was hoping there would be more comments built up to jog my memory!

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 02:10:05 PM
Was hoping there would be more comments

As do we...

dagny

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 02:04:16 PM
I really liked this one. The dreariness of government housing was described very well, and I liked the way the characters were written, particularly the main character's friend. Good use of dialogue to describe the mixture of fear and exhilaration. And great narration!

"Wolfman's got nards!"

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 03:20:57 PM
Excellent all around. Tightly written, amazing narration and poignant extro.