Author Topic: Pseudopod 501: Flash on The Borderlands XXXII: Punishments  (Read 2345 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Pseudopod 501: Flash on The Borderlands XXXII: Punishments

Devils speak of the ways in which she’ll manifest

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Rat King by Lia Swope Mitchell

This is a PseudoPod Original. This story takes its inspiration from the phenomenon of the “rat king”: a group of rats whose tails have gotten knotted and stuck, so that the rats all live and die together in a big tangled, biting mass.

Lia Swope Mitchell is a PhD student in French literature at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. She studies visual media and speculative fiction in the nineteenth century, teaches grammar, and writes fiction on the sly.

Your narrator – Rish Outfield can be found regularly at The Dunesteef podcast, which he produces with Big Anklevich, and you can hear him pretty much everywhere in the genre story pod-o-sphere. And for good reason!

Listen. This is just a free consultation. We’re just two men in a bar, you and I. Respectably dressed with respectable drinks, talking business, like everyone else. But I can see it on your face, written underneath your eyes. I can smell it. Underneath the bourbon, underneath the cigarettes and lies. Something’s in there, crawling around inside. You’ve got a secret. And you want to do business, I can tell.

Dead Alive Imagine” by David Murphy

This is a PseudoPod Original.

David Murphy’s latest book Walking on Ripples was published by the Liffey Press in Dublin, Ireland, in 2014. His previous books includes a contemporary fantasy novella Bird of Prey (2011), Arkon Chronicles (also a novella, 2003) and the well received novel Longevity City (2005), each of which was published in the USA. His award-winning short fiction has been published and translated worldwide; over one hundred appearances including magazines and anthologies, two chapbooks and a short story collection brought out first in Dublin in 2004 and re-issued in 2013. The title story of that collection, Lost Notes, won the inaugural Maurice Walsh Award for short stories.

Your narrator – Siobhan Gallichan, is a voice-over artist available for work at macfadyan-at-gmail.com. Listen to Siobhan’s podcast at The Flashing Blade or watch the show on YouTube.

Incisions are made within the clinical white surrounds of the operating lab; incisions in space and time in the operating theatre itself – and incisions into the flesh of the patient. These cuts and alterations take place in a lab so pristine that ceiling, walls and floor blend in a haze that fuses dimensions of distance, height and depth; a shining cleanliness so all-pervasive that light and surface intermingle, making it difficult to distinguish what is vertical from what is horizontal. Concentration and precision are of vital importance in this facility. All tables are smooth, all medical equipment sharp. Follow the instruction manual carefully. Do not – repeat: do not – attempt any ancillary procedures beyond those outlined in this manual.

The Cages” by Christopher Fowler

Author: Christopher Fowler is the award-winning author of many novels and short story collections, and the Bryant & May mystery novels, which record the adventures of two Golden Age detectives investigating impossible London crimes. His latest books are the Dubai-set thriller ‘The Sand Men’ and the Bryant & May novel ‘Strange Tide’. Other recent work includes a graphic novel, ‘The Casebook of Bryant & May’, and a Hammer horror radio play under the Hammer Chillers label.

Your narrator is Jon Grilz. Jon is mystery writer as well as the creator of the Small Town Horror podcast who isn’t entirely sure which day of the week it is, but is pretty happy every time the sun rises. Most of the time you can find him wandering somewhere between the line dividing reality and wherever that laughter is coming from.

'Look,’ said Albert, ‘they’re beating up Mrs Tremayne.’

‘She’s not done anything wrong, has she?’ asked Dr Figgis. ‘No. Perhaps that’s why they’re beating her up.’

‘Doesn’t follow, does it? God, she’s making a lot of noise.’ He shouted through the bars. ‘Hey, keep it down!’

‘This thing’s hard on my arse.’ Albert fidgeted on the rungs. After a few hours they cut into your buttocks and forced you to change position. At least, that was the effect they had on Albert. He noticed that many of the others never seemed to move at all.

Your guest host this week is Associate Editor Dagny Paul. Dagny is an 8th-grade English teacher who lives in Baton Rouge with her husband and four-year-old son. She has an unhealthy (but entertaining) obsession with comic books and horror movies. There’s a small but nonzero chance she was sent here from the future to stave off the awakening of an AI.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 10:51:08 AM
They were all excellent. Rat King, especially, is going to stay with me for a while.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 01:38:50 PM
Only partway through listening, but had to jump in and say I loved the mini flash warning at the top!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

CaroCogitatus

• Extern
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 03:22:32 PM
Three great stories, and the wrapup at the end tied them together very effectively.

Well done!

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 01:59:46 AM
So who *did* create the cages? The humans themselves?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 03:50:29 PM
Maybe I'm just a little burned out from also reading more than a thousand stories in slush in the last month?  Did not care for this group of stories.

"Rat King"
I had only ever heard of the "rat king" concept from Terry Pratchett's "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents"

The pitch here, I had trouble thinking of much besides "why are you still listening to this instead of getting the hell out of there?  This is obviously one of those deals where you are guaranteed to end up worse off than before".

"Dead Alive Imagine"
Hard to stay focused on this one, my mind kept wandering.  Seemed like it was aiming for grossout kind of horror with the surgeries which doesn't really float my boat I guess?  Or maybe that's not what it was going for and I completely missed the point?

"The Cages"
I found the commentary on this one interesting, but found the story just consistently irritating, just a long and drawn out description of people being tortured.  Not a fan of that kind of thing, I guess.