Author Topic: Pseudopod 499: The Tooth Fairy  (Read 3699 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: July 15, 2016, 04:47:49 PM
Pseudopod 499: The Tooth Fairy

by Russel McLean.

“The Tooth Fairy” is a Pseudopod Original. “I hope the story works on its own without needing to know too much. But I’ve always been fascinated by the fascination that people have with serial killers, and how our perception is affected by both the fiction and the mythologizing of fact. To say much more would of course be to give away some of the story. Its also an unusual piece for me in that its one of very few stories I’ve written set in the US. I’ve always wanted to write more US based fiction as that is mostly what I read, although I’m known for writing about Scotland and, more generally, the city of Dundee. It was refreshing to be able to write about a subject matter and location that was new to me, and the enthusiasm of Pseudopod for the story has been a great reward for taking that risk.”

RUSSEL MCLEAN is the author of five novels featuring Scottish private investigator J McNee. His debut, THE GOOD SON, was shortlisted for a Shamus Award for Best First Novel by the Private Eye Writers Association of America. Russel’s short fiction has appeared in several anthologies and magazines including Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine and the recent anthology, THE ADVENTURES OF MORIARTY. He spent over a decade as a bookseller before writing full time. His reviews and interviews with writers have appeared in The Herald, The Independent on Sunday, The Skinny and the TLS, and he frequently interviews writers for literary festivals and library events. When not writing his own fiction, he also works as a freelance editor. He lives in Glasgow with his partner and three cats: Moriarty, Mycroft and Magwitch. His latest book out in the UK and US from Severn House is CRY UNCLE, the fifth in the J McNee series.

Jon Padgett lives in New Orleans with his spouse, their daughter, and two cats. Padgett has work out or forthcoming in Pseudopod, The Lovecraft eZine and Xnoybis. Padgett’s chapbook, THE INFUSORIUM, was released in spring of 2015, and his first short story collection, The Secret of Ventriloquism, is forthcoming from Dunhams Manor Press, Autumn 2016. Also later in 2016, Padgett–along with a team of editors and the artistic wizardry of Dave Felton–will be releasing the first issue of Vastarien: a source of critical study and creative response to the corpus of Thomas Ligotti and the authors who influenced and are influenced by him.

“The package, when it arrives, is innocuous. Plain envelope. Bubble wrap. A little box inside. Black cardboard. Red ribbon.

Could be anything.

Anything at all.

It comes standard delivery. Anything else would provoke suspicion. Signing for packages, someone, somewhere has to say what’s inside.

How would you explain the contents of that black box?

I sit it, for a while, on the black onyx stone of the kitchen worktop. I look at it. I anticipate opening the box. Think of Schrodinger’s Cat.

Dead?

Alive?

Present?

Gone?

I won’t know. Until I open the box.”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

dagny

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 12:58:55 PM
Loved this story. Well written--and great job, Jon!

"Wolfman's got nards!"

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 02:41:31 AM
Listened to this one twice, back to back, just so I could go back and hear what I missed the first time through, knowing the ending.

Very nicely done.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

DerangedMind

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 05:08:16 PM
Every so often I think about dropping PseudoPod.  Then a story like this comes along reminding me why I listen.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 06:59:22 PM
Always glad to undermine expectations!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 04:27:21 PM
I am not the target audience for this one.

I am so tired of serial killer mythos stories.  They almost all feel so alike that they just get really dull, and I feel that the commonness of them adds to the cult of celebrity surrounding serial or mass-murderers, so that the next guy who fancies himself a lone wolf decides he wants to get his face on the news by going on a shooting spree.  I would rather we remember the people who died and just stop flashing the killer's names and pictures all over TV and Internet at every opportunity.  But, alas, that is not the way of things.

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 04:42:33 PM
As a sometime bulk consumer of Criminal Minds, I enjoyed it.

Metalsludge

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 06:15:14 AM
It's a nicely thoughtful story, though I wasn't really surprised by the twist. And neither would be the cops in real life, as male relatives are usually the first to be suspected in actual murders, which makes me wonder how plausible the story is if it includes two guys who kill close kin and seem to easily get away with it. Admittedly, it COULD happen, I'm just saying it seems a little too easy as it's presented here. Both these guys would have been closely looked at and interrogated for hours in most districts in the country of the story's setting. But plausibility is a minor quibble, and it's not what the story is about in any case.

I think versions of the serial killer story can still be fun and have nothing against them per se. But this story seems to want to pretend that it's not uncommon for serial killers to have varied motives, and depicts one who finds purpose in killing... when actually, upon reading about real serial killers, I quickly discovered that they are, as Unblinking mentioned, kind of boring. One reason for this is because they more often than not are just variations on yet another sex killer, with pretty crude and base motives at heart.

There are exceptions? Sure, but they are so few and far between. Some have gotten an extra thrill from revisiting the scene of the crime or reading reports about themselves, but it's not generally the motivation behind the crimes. The rationalizations may occasionally be exotic, or mixed with other delusions and such in a disordered mind, but it's still just the same old thing again and again really. So, authors are almost forced to ignore this reality when coming up with a serial killer that can be a little more interesting when it comes time to tell a story about one.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 03:36:33 AM
Listened to this one on the way to work and loooved it!  I knew the twist long before the reveal, but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the story.  Very neat take on the mind of a serial killer, both as a product of pop-culture and the more visceral, "true" mind of one not motivated by a twisted fascination with death.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?