Author Topic: Pseudopod 502: The Trauma Box  (Read 6094 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: August 06, 2016, 01:41:32 AM
Pseudopod 502: The Trauma Box

by D. Morgan Ballmer.

“The Trauma Box” is a PseudoPod Original.

D. MORGAN BALLMER lives in Maple Valley, Washington. His short fiction can be found in “Three-Lobed-Burning-Eye Magazine”, the NOT YOUR AVERAGE MONSTER Anthology, and the upcoming SILENT SCREAMS Anthology. I maintain a small web presence on Facebook.

Your reader – Jairus Durnett – was last heard on Pseudopod in THE SCREWFLY SOLUTION.

The CAST OF WONDERS Flash Fiction Contest info can be accessed at the link.

Info on Anders Manga’s album can be found here.

“Most everyone in Fairview knows of the Trauma Box. None agree on its origins. Some claim the box was brought in by bootleggers during Prohibition as a place to stash illicit booze. Others claim it was used by the FBI to interrogate suspected communists back in ’50s. The Reverend, should you bump into him, will whisper of a family whose sole heir was a malformed child. The deranged boy was supposedly chained inside the box until his untimely death some eighteen years later (or ‘six-six-six years later’ as the Reverend puts it).”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 02:04:33 PM
Well… that was short, dark and nasty. Just how I like 'em!

I don't know about anybody else — but the change brought on by the anonymity of the box's trial submissions reminded me of the toxicity of various anonymous online mediums  (twitter, etc.).

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 05:56:26 PM
This was very good and Adrianh hits the nail on the head with this:

I don't know about anybody else — but the change brought on by the anonymity of the box's trial submissions reminded me of the toxicity of various anonymous online mediums  (twitter, etc.).

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 01:59:02 AM
Obligatory comment about how all the other stuff was just dandy, but I was really upset by the torture and death of the dog.  Who for the record, unlike everyone else, never chose to be there.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 04:37:54 PM
Obligatory comment about how all the other stuff was just dandy, but I was really upset by the torture and death of the dog.  Who for the record, unlike everyone else, never chose to be there.

I choose to believe that the dog stopped barking because Joe was holding him up.  Yup. That is EXACTLY what happened.

Excellent outro, Alasdair.

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 04:49:21 PM

I choose to believe that the dog stopped barking because Joe was holding him up.  Yup. That is EXACTLY what happened.

Excellent outro, Alasdair.

Yes, no doubt you are correct. (I thought there was text suggesting this was not the case, but surely I misheard.)

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 04:50:36 PM
Also I fully recognize how screwed up it is that so many of us are more upset by the torture of animals than of people in media. The fact that the humans all chose it (for some value of choosing) in this case is an explanatory factor, but my visceral response isn't limited to that, I don't think.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 03:44:54 PM
I did not like this story.  I do agree that it felt like toxicity of anonymous online interactions, so was basically "what if 4chan was a place, and you could go there and ask for help if you're desperate enough?"

I wanted someone to root for, but every single person in this story was such a toxic piece of crap that when the toxic monsters start becoming more toxic while hanging out with other toxic monsters, my reactions ranged from "yup, it was obvious this was going to escalate" to "I can't believe that they are acting outraged that their torture chamber has lived up EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS OBVIOUSLY DESIGNED FOR".

Also I fully recognize how screwed up it is that so many of us are more upset by the torture of animals than of people in media. The fact that the humans all chose it (for some value of choosing) in this case is an explanatory factor, but my visceral response isn't limited to that, I don't think.

I don't think it's necessarily a screwed up response.  I see it as akin to being more horrified by the death of children than by the death of adults.  Both are, in some part, because children and pets are both dependent on us for their every need and their death hits harder because of that responsibility.  Not that I like to see wild animals hurt either, but it's much different than a housecat or a pet dog.

And yes, more extreme in this circumstance because the dog is the only entity in the story who isn't a horrible monster.  And because killing dogs is an unfortunately common horror technique.

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 04:00:12 PM
I did not like this story.  I do agree that it felt like toxicity of anonymous online interactions, so was basically "what if 4chan was a place, and you could go there and ask for help if you're desperate enough?"

I wanted someone to root for, but every single person in this story was such a toxic piece of crap that when the toxic monsters start becoming more toxic while hanging out with other toxic monsters, my reactions ranged from "yup, it was obvious this was going to escalate" to "I can't believe that they are acting outraged that their torture chamber has lived up EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS OBVIOUSLY DESIGNED FOR".

I don't think it's necessarily a screwed up response.  I see it as akin to being more horrified by the death of children than by the death of adults.  Both are, in some part, because children and pets are both dependent on us for their every need and their death hits harder because of that responsibility.  Not that I like to see wild animals hurt either, but it's much different than a housecat or a pet dog.

And yes, more extreme in this circumstance because the dog is the only entity in the story who isn't a horrible monster.  And because killing dogs is an unfortunately common horror technique.

You couldn't at least root for the two guys who finally realized that what they were doing was wrong? It seemed that it may not have started all that violently, and gradually escalated. Frog in the boiling water. I personally can't tolerate even mild hazing - decided not to participate in team sports because of it in high school and college - but not everyone feels that way, and if the consequences started out pretty mild, I can see it being a bonding ritual to begin with.

As for the dog killing thing, you just reminded me of a fleeting thought I'd lost earlier - here's a stub of a thesis. Pets being killed/tortured has some sort of parallel to stories that use rape as an "easy" way to provide background story for a female character. Not sure I can articulate what I'm thinking right now, but maybe someone (you?) can come in and explain my thought process to me, or why I'm mistaken?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 04:18:02 PM
You couldn't at least root for the two guys who finally realized that what they were doing was wrong? It seemed that it may not have started all that violently, and gradually escalated. Frog in the boiling water. I personally can't tolerate even mild hazing - decided not to participate in team sports because of it in high school and college - but not everyone feels that way, and if the consequences started out pretty mild, I can see it being a bonding ritual to begin with.

It's not that I don't want them to be successful at stopping further damage, but it's kind of like... I don't know... a group of people starting a garbage fire in a basement and then being surprised when the building starts on fire and two of them try to put it out.  They were dropping people in a pit with biting snakes as the story started, and not bothered by it enough to raise more than a mild objection.  They were already well beyond the point of having descended past mild hazing by that point, AFAIC.

(Even more ordinary hazing I find pretty disgusting, I roomed with a guy who was pledging for a frat in college and was consistently surprised that he would subject himself to that just to gain entrance to the organization.  IMO any organization that values trying to make people miserable to quit as an entry test is not an organization worth joining, call me unambitious)

As for the dog killing thing, you just reminded me of a fleeting thought I'd lost earlier - here's a stub of a thesis. Pets being killed/tortured has some sort of parallel to stories that use rape as an "easy" way to provide background story for a female character. Not sure I can articulate what I'm thinking right now, but maybe someone (you?) can come in and explain my thought process to me, or why I'm mistaken?

I think there's SOME similar root there, but not entirely.

Both are way overused because it is "easy" to write and has become a kneejerk used a filler for "bad things happen and you should be horrified and/or sad".  Both rape and dog-death are used in this way.

That said they are MILES apart, despite this minor similarity.  Poorly considered rape scenes are much worse than poorly considered dog death scenes for many many reasons (not least of which is that some of your readers will have survived rape and so it is a major PTSD trigger as well as being pretty obvious what you get wrong), which if you want to discuss further would probably be better branched into a new thread because it would be a huge tangent.   (case in point: I have written 2 horror stories with dog deaths, though I think both work, I'm not saying that it can't ever work.  I have written no rape scenes because I have not come across a story in my writing where it would have made the story better rather than worse)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:21:09 PM by Unblinking »

DerangedMind

• Peltast
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 01:44:25 PM
the dog is the only entity in the story who isn't a horrible monster. 

I thought it was quite interesting that the author chose a Pitbull as the breed of dog, which in media has been portrayed as a vicious dog, and had it as an innocent.  I was expecting the dog to attack at some point, or to be sent down the box by Joe to attack the victim in the box.

The opening of the story immediately reminded me of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment and I was expecting things to escalate quickly.  I just wasn't sure how things were going to resolve at the end.  I was curious about whether Paul had always intended to destroy the society, or whether he did it because of the snakes.

I enjoyed the story.  I was hoping that there would be a more definitive ending of the Trauma Box (destroying the box or outing the society to the public) but was satisfied with the ending given.

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 03:44:24 PM

I thought it was quite interesting that the author chose a Pitbull as the breed of dog, which in media has been portrayed as a vicious dog, and had it as an innocent. 

That did cross my mind while listening ... I don't know if the author meant it to come across as an innocent, or meant to imply that it had done terrible things just like the men. (I like the first interpretation better, by a long shot.)

DerangedMind

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 04:24:01 PM
That did cross my mind while listening ... I don't know if the author meant it to come across as an innocent, or meant to imply that it had done terrible things just like the men. (I like the first interpretation better, by a long shot.)

I think if the author had intended that, it would have been easy to have made the dog make an unprovoked attack on someone at the box, or at least try to defend itself when Paul kicked it into the box.

I'm real glad that Joe was strong and could hold the dog up and comfort it so that it stayed quiet until the morning.

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 05:13:37 PM
I'm real glad that Joe was strong and could hold the dog up and comfort it so that it stayed quiet until the morning.

This is really the key point.

Metrophor

• Extern
    • Visit me on Tumblr!
Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 05:10:49 AM

Well, to be fair, they may not be the cuddliest but neither are the snakes, which were only biting because they were scared and probably drowned if they couldn't get out. ( I like snakes. drop all the snakes on me you want. c:)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:12:45 AM by Metrophor »

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 07:55:42 PM

Well, to be fair, they may not be the cuddliest but neither are the snakes, which were only biting because they were scared and probably drowned if they couldn't get out. ( I like snakes. drop all the snakes on me you want. c:)

That's a good point. Shame on us for our speciesist views!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 01:24:00 PM

That is a very good point.  I guess I don't feel a lot of empathy for reptiles unless I really examine the situation carefully.  It hadn't occurred to me that the snakes got the bum deal too.  Shame on me!

Anyway, yes, now that I am thinking about the snakes, I feel worse for them than any of the people involved (though admittedly I still feel worse for the dog because dogs is dogs).

davidthygod

• Peltast
Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 04:52:57 PM
Like others, I immediately thought of anonymous internet trolls.  Middle of the road story for me. it was more of an idea than an actual plot with beginning/middle/end.  The ending was abrupt, he just got in his truck and left, which I found odd.  Ultimately the denouement is the main character can't take the inhumanity anymore and leaves.  Ok.

The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad.

davidthygod

• Peltast
Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 04:54:11 PM

That is a very good point.  I guess I don't feel a lot of empathy for reptiles unless I really examine the situation carefully.  It hadn't occurred to me that the snakes got the bum deal too.  Shame on me!

Anyway, yes, now that I am thinking about the snakes, I feel worse for them than any of the people involved (though admittedly I still feel worse for the dog because dogs is dogs).

I feel bad for the rotten eggs, what did they do to deserve being dropped on these idiots.

The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad.