Author Topic: Pseudopod 505: There Is No Road through the Woods  (Read 6561 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: August 26, 2016, 03:01:57 AM
Pseudopod 505: There Is No Road through the Woods

by Dagny Paul.

“There Is No Road through the Woods” is a Pseudopod Original. “Silly as it seems — no, is — I’m actually a bit afraid of plants. I like trees, and I have a garden, but there’s something unnerving about being among all these living things that we treat as though they’re just background. They’re alive. It freaks me out. The title of this story comes from a Rudyard Kipling poem, The Way Through The Woods. I read this poem when I was about three quarters of the way finished with the piece, and it really shaped the way it turned out.

The Way Through The Woods
by Rudyard Kipling

They shut the road through the woods
Seventy years ago.
Weather and rain have undone it again,
And now you would never know
There was once a road through the woods
Before they planted the trees.
It is underneath the coppice and heath,
And the thin anemones.
Only the keeper sees
That, where the ring-dove broods,
And the badgers roll at ease,
There was once a road through the woods.
Yet, if you enter the woods
Of a summer evening late,
When the night-air cools on the trout-ringed pools
Where the otter whistles his mate,
(They fear not men in the woods,
Because they see so few.)
You will hear the beat of a horse’s feet,
And the swish of a skirt in the dew,
Steadily cantering through
The misty solitudes,
As though they perfectly knew
The old lost road through the woods.
But there is no road through the woods.

DAGNY PAUL is an 8th-grade English teacher who lives in New Orleans with her husband and three-year-old son. She has an unhealthy (but entertaining) obsession with comic books and horror movies. After we purchased this story, Dagny was asked to come on board with PseudoPod as Associate Editor.

Your reader – Tatiana Gomberg – is a critically acclaimed actress of stage, screen, and the audio booth. She lives in New York City. She can be contacted for work at her VOICE 123 account.

I wanted to bring your attention to a project from Orrin Grey and Strix Publishing. You already know and love Orrin Grey.

PSEUDOPOD 155: THE WORM THAT GNAWS

PSEUDOPOD 262: BLACK HILL

PSEUDOPOD 415: NIGHT’S FOUL BIRD

Strix Publishing has launched a Kickstarter to bring us a new and expanded hardcover edition of Orrin’s collection NEVER BET THE DEVIL AND OTHER WARNINGS. This new edition includes all ten stories from the original, as well as the heretofore hard-to-find “A Night for Mothing” and an all new story, “Goblins.” As of the time of this recording, it’s just passed the halfway mark with almost three weeks to go, so it’s time for the add-ons and additional goals to creep out of the corners.

So, please check it out: NEVER BET THE DEVIL AND OTHER WARNINGS Kickstarter. You’ll be glad you did!

The CAST OF WONDERS Flash Fiction Contest info can be accessed at the link.

Info on Anders Manga’s album (they do our theme music!) can be found here.

“The summer it happened, Mr. Mason cut down the diseased elm in his front yard and found a fist-sized clot of blood, bone, and hair in the middle of its trunk. I didn’t see it, but Ellie Langford, who was a year ahead of me and lived next door to Mr. Mason, said that she had been sitting on her front porch, waiting for her boyfriend to pick her up, when all of a sudden Mr. Mason’s chainsaw died and she looked up to see red splatters on his wife beater and a puzzled look on his face.”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 09:33:13 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 04:19:13 PM
Ooohf. I really loved this one. I mean, I love pretty much anything that gets into how freaking creepy petrochemicals are. Industrial necromancy - urgh  :-[. I like the way the thread of the main character's sexuality was woven in; it really intensified the themes of adolescence and all the confusion, intensity, self-discovery, and secrecy that comes with it. Also, you know - representation = yay!

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Metalsludge

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 12:24:19 AM
Though the story remains almost too conveniently mysterious in the end, I couldn't help but enjoy it. The opening had me remembering The Ash Tree by M.R James, but things went in a different direction here.

The main character seems to have to choose between attraction and survival, and ultimately, love does not conquer all. Sometimes, you have to run. That felt honest. Too bad it's possibly already too late for her anyway.

The band playing on until people start to die sounds familiar to real plant disasters too. The first thing a Chernobyl survivor said when asked about the post-tsunami nuclear problem near the plant in Japan and what advice she might have for residents was, essentially, "They will tell you it's OK and that you don't really need to move. Don't believe them."

South of No North

• Matross
  • Oneironaut and Alchymist
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:06:56 AM
I enjoyed the story as well. The ambiguity of exactly what the chemicals were doing is fine with me rarely in life do you get a full and complete explanation. It was also nice to see a LGBTQ character who has more than being LGBTQ as the main attribute. I felt it made the pull of Cassie even stronger, beyond Alpha-Girl powere which could have been motivation enough, but as has been said it became love vs. survival which is deeper than wanting to keep the Alpha happy.

But...
Since I first noticed this author during a flash fiction contest and as detail ripping the comments on those forums could (not nec. this author) but also because "The Wolf-Man's got Nards!" :
How do you get covered in mud by running thru the woods? Cut, leafy, pine coney, pine needley even but the mud generally isn't in the branches you run thru.
Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Also a little less snarky, what happened to (Willy?) the guy she called the morning of to ask down to the woods by the creek. Maybe I missed it but it seemed like he just dropped out which is weird so why even call him at all? I thought maybe he would be part frog visiting her at the end. But I liked the ending given better.

But good job to all, another solid episode, I'm not surprised but still appreciate how well it is done.

"Yes, of course I can blame you. Without them, where would all of us outlaws be? What would we have? Only a lawless paradise...and paradise is a bore. Violence without violation is only noise heard by no one, the most horrendous sound in the universe." --The Chymist by Thomas Ligotti

dagny

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 12:15:14 AM

But...
Since I first noticed this author during a flash fiction contest and as detail ripping the comments on those forums could (not nec. this author) but also because "The Wolf-Man's got Nards!" :
How do you get covered in mud by running thru the woods? Cut, leafy, pine coney, pine needley even but the mud generally isn't in the branches you run thru.

Also a little less snarky, what happened to (Willy?) the guy she called the morning of to ask down to the woods by the creek. Maybe I missed it but it seemed like he just dropped out which is weird so why even call him at all? I thought maybe he would be part frog visiting her at the end. But I liked the ending given better.

But good job to all, another solid episode, I'm not surprised but still appreciate how well it is done.

I guess I wanted to give the impression that Cassie wasn't just running in the woods; she was rolling around, bathing in them, even. I wanted to impress the importance of the stream and its role in the spread of the...whatever...on the reader.

As far as Eric goes, I did mention him, albeit briefly, at the end, although all you see is a bit of his hair and his t-shirt. I might have taken this too far, but I wanted it to be clear that some boy wasn't going to save Jenna; in the face of the big bad, he was utterly insignificant.

I'm glad you liked the story! Sorry if parts of it were a bit confusing or just off.

"Wolfman's got nards!"

South of No North

• Matross
  • Oneironaut and Alchymist
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 01:31:13 AM

Fair 'Nuff.

I can see her running and tripping, falling, rolling getting filthy, running, tripping, etc... ---Mostly just teasing.

Sorry I missed the segmented remains of the potential hero. I'm glad she got her self away from the situation. (if not actually free)

"Yes, of course I can blame you. Without them, where would all of us outlaws be? What would we have? Only a lawless paradise...and paradise is a bore. Violence without violation is only noise heard by no one, the most horrendous sound in the universe." --The Chymist by Thomas Ligotti

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 02:02:41 PM
I liked both the story and the narration. Something, too, about the portrayal of Cassie, who we see through the eyes of one of the several people besotted by her. I wonder if I'd be as sympathetic to Cassie as the PoV character is. Or would I be in Cassie's thrall, too?

And hey - is Eric not so secretly in love with PoV just as PoV is not so secretly in love with Cassie? He's the character for whom I have the most sympathy. She never tells him he doesn't have a chance, and then he gets torn to pieces trying to help her.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 03:05:46 PM

But...

I guess I wanted to give the impression that Cassie wasn't just running in the woods; she was rolling around, bathing in them, even. I wanted to impress the importance of the stream and its role in the spread of the...whatever...on the reader.

As far as Eric goes, I did mention him, albeit briefly, at the end, although all you see is a bit of his hair and his t-shirt. I might have taken this too far, but I wanted it to be clear that some boy wasn't going to save Jenna; in the face of the big bad, he was utterly insignificant.

I'm glad you liked the story! Sorry if parts of it were a bit confusing or just off.

FWIW, that was clear to me.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 01:29:07 PM
I liked it.  Particularly the relationship between the two girls.  (I thought the interchangeable boys was a nice touch)

FWIW, that was clear to me.

That felt clear to me too.   The smeared mud was a small detail that helped bump up the situation from "teens lost in woods" to "something is really wrong here". 

Jon Padgett

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 03:19:04 PM
I loved this story.

I was put in mind of both Lovecraft's "The Colour Out of Space" and Ligotti's "The Shadow at the Bottom of the World," not only because of the blighting environmental horror but because of Paul's gorgeous, haunting imagery--particularly when describing the woods and the narrator's beloved Cassie.  The characterizations are superb throughout.  And the narrative voice itself was masterfully realized, girded by a really top notch performance by narrator, Tatiana Gomberg.

I don't think I've enjoyed and admired another Pseudopod story more than this one to date.

Bravo.

dagny

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 03:16:47 PM
YOU GUYS.

I'm overwhelmed by the positive responses to my story and the fantastic reading by Tatiana Gomberg.

Thank you all so much!

"Wolfman's got nards!"

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 03:09:29 AM
Dagny,

This was absolutely fantastic.  Listened while on an overnight shift doing a ton of tedious yet altogether mindless work.  It was a wonderful respite from the tedium and endlessly entertaining! 

Really can't echo everyone's comments enough.  Cheers.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

dagny

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 11:36:47 AM
Dagny,

This was absolutely fantastic.  Listened while on an overnight shift doing a ton of tedious yet altogether mindless work.  It was a wonderful respite from the tedium and endlessly entertaining! 

Really can't echo everyone's comments enough.  Cheers.

D'awwww!  ;D Thanks, Brian!

"Wolfman's got nards!"

Metrophor

• Extern
    • Visit me on Tumblr!
Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 05:49:47 AM
Now this right here, this is my jam. (mmm. jam.)
The bit where Cassie kept trying to get the protagonist to go into the woods with her, the way that built up until it had her screaming full volume from right outside, made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Same with the very end. Well played.

The only part that didn't really jive with me was the whole you know how it is when you're a teenager and you're madly in love line, because my reaction to those things is inevitably '....no?...'
But I do love the representation, and I do sort of get the whole survival instinct versus loyalty thing, so that's okay.

Not-a-Robot

Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 10:11:10 AM
Hey a Dagny original!

Congrats Dagny. The story was chilling.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 12:31:37 PM
Very cool..so very cool.

While there are no real similarities, this brought to mind the old Dead Milkmen song "Watching Scotty Die." And, as I've always loved that song, this is in no way a complaint!

Great job all around!

dagny

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 01:51:58 PM
Very cool..so very cool.

While there are no real similarities, this brought to mind the old Dead Milkmen song "Watching Scotty Die." And, as I've always loved that song, this is in no way a complaint!

Great job all around!

I LOVE DEAD MILKMEN.

That is DEFINITELY a compliment in my book. Thanks!

"Wolfman's got nards!"

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 02:28:36 PM
Just got to this and really enjoyed it. I liked the characterization and, as I think someone already mentioned, thought the interchangeable boys were a fun touch. I loved the chemical spill causing mutations idea too. I feel like that's an underused premise/setting for horror these days but there is so much that can be mined from it.

I have to admit, when the MC first saw that the two boys were covered in (warts? bumps? can't remember), after finding Cassie at the edge of her bed covered in debris and seeing that there was something very wrong with her friend, it got a bit hard to believe that she'd actually follow Cassie into the woods. I got a little bit of a "if the haunted house is telling you to get out, maybe just get out?" vibe. I remember being 15 and I remember being in love at 15, but I don't know if all the teen crush hormones in the world would have been enough to make me follow along with a group like that. Then again, 15 year old me once thought it was a good idea to drink a full bottle of something that was just marked as "alcohol" to impress a crush with how much I could handle (because everyone knows the way to a girl's heart is by showing her how drunk you can get), so maybe I shouldn't be so high on 15 year old me's decision making capabilities.

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 03:48:27 PM
Just got to this and really enjoyed it. I liked the characterization and, as I think someone already mentioned, thought the interchangeable boys were a fun touch. I loved the chemical spill causing mutations idea too. I feel like that's an underused premise/setting for horror these days but there is so much that can be mined from it.

I have to admit, when the MC first saw that the two boys were covered in (warts? bumps? can't remember), after finding Cassie at the edge of her bed covered in debris and seeing that there was something very wrong with her friend, it got a bit hard to believe that she'd actually follow Cassie into the woods. I got a little bit of a "if the haunted house is telling you to get out, maybe just get out?" vibe. I remember being 15 and I remember being in love at 15, but I don't know if all the teen crush hormones in the world would have been enough to make me follow along with a group like that. Then again, 15 year old me once thought it was a good idea to drink a full bottle of something that was just marked as "alcohol" to impress a crush with how much I could handle (because everyone knows the way to a girl's heart is by showing her how drunk you can get), so maybe I shouldn't be so high on 15 year old me's decision making capabilities.

I made some remarkably poor decisions at that age.

rackhamm

• Extern
Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 05:08:39 PM
I had to comment on this story, I absolutely loved it. Very reminiscent of the Colour out of Space as another poster mentioned, but also combines an adolescent POV story with a man-made (presumably) Pandora's Box.  Also love to hear background bits like the Kipling poem influencing the story and title. Excellent story and great narration.