Author Topic: Anyone Else Stoked for X-Files 2?  (Read 6360 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
on: March 27, 2008, 10:01:54 PM
There's a link about X-Files 2 today and what Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz are saying make me very happy:

This film will pick up six years after the end of the series.  It's supposed to be a standalone feature removed from the alien mythology of the TV show, a throwback to the show's "monster of the week" episodes.  Still, some lingering aspects from the series, like whether Scully's child with be a normal tyke, will be addressed.  "It will not be a mythology movie, but it's true to everything that's come before," says writer-producer Frank Spotnitz.

and this from CNN

Carter, who also directs the new movie, said it takes place in the present and uses a story envisioned when the series ended. While the show's sprawling alien mythology isn't part of the plot, Carter said there is a reference to Scully's seemingly supernatural son, William, who was born in season eight and later given up for adoption.

So I'm guessing this means Mulder and Scully on the run from the FBI will be addressed as well.  Awesome.  I ask for nothing more (other than the movie kicks ass).

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:16:47 PM
Sweet! Hadn't heard about this yet, other than vague rumors that there was going to be another feature film. Thanks for the update!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:25:12 PM
Yep. I can't wait. It will help tide me over until the new Star Trek movie (May, 2009 now :( :( last I heard).

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 10:44:07 PM
Sweet! Hadn't heard about this yet, other than vague rumors that there was going to be another feature film. Thanks for the update!

Yeah, it's been incredibly under the radar.  It's coming out this summer, but I don't think they've even released an official trailer yet.  Actually, I can't find an official website, although Fox movies does show something very small for it on their website.  It's like the anti-publicity machine, or something.  I think they're trying to keep everything as much under wraps as possible. 

Also, Carter, Duchovony, and Anderson are very keen on doing a third one ASAP, and Carter has said that he plans on addressing the (coughcrappycough) world will end in 2012 subplot from the series finale.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:23:25 AM
Stoked?  Not really.  Never really got into the series.  I even own the first four seasons on DVD but barely made it into the second, and haven't watched any in years.

The feature film was a fun diversion but I don't know where it fits into the continuity.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 01:09:10 PM
Hells yeah!  Can't wait.  Loved the series and looking forward to where they go with it.  I just hope it doesn't suck like some of the shows in the final season did. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:39:12 PM
Nope, the series jumped the shark several years before it finished and is now eminently missable. Still, I suppose that it's not like Chris Carter has had much luck trying to do anything else so I don't blame him for returning to the corpse and checking it's pockets for loose change.

Is anyone taking bets on whether CSM will be shown to have survived a rocket in the face if these movies go on?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 08:49:30 PM

Is anyone taking bets on whether CSM will be shown to have survived a rocket in the face if these movies go on?

I don't know about CSM, but somewhere I read that Carter was asked about Krychek, and he just shrugged and said you never know and we should expect some surprises.  (I'm hoping not because that would really feel like a cheat -- he took a bullet to the head.  How much deader can you get?  Oh, yeah.  Rocket to the face.  Hmmmm).  However, the cast list at imdb is unbelievably scarce -- there's obviously a lot more cast members than are listed there (6 or 7, I think).

That said, if the Lone Gunmen survived their stupid demise, I wouldn't be upset.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 07:27:55 AM
Nope, the series jumped the shark several years before it finished and is now eminently missable. Still, I suppose that it's not like Chris Carter has had much luck trying to do anything else so I don't blame him for returning to the corpse and checking it's pockets for loose change.

I was going to say something, but you said it all for me.   ;)

Russell Nash

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 09:17:58 PM

I was going to say something, but you said it all for me.   ;)

But you see the franchise isn't all dead.  It's only mostly dead.  There's a big difference between all dead and mostly dead.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 12:21:32 AM

But you see the franchise isn't all dead.  It's only mostly dead.  There's a big difference between all dead and mostly dead.

Yeah, but I don't think Billy Crystal (a.k.a. "Miracle Max") will be around to revive this one.

After being a dedicated fan for years, I quit watching shortly after Duchovny left the show.  At that point, I really think Carter should have tied up the loose ends (possibly bringing together the alien-invasion mythos and the "monster of the week" shows) and come up with a slam-bang ending (like maybe, Fox Mulder meets his equivalent among the aliens) and then walked away to the applause, maybe doing the occasional movie "prequel" or some such.  If so, I'd probably own the DVD boxed set.

As for the movie, maybe this time someone will tell them that bees do not, repeat do not pollinate corn... 

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 05:33:55 PM

As for the movie, maybe this time someone will tell them that bees do not, repeat do not pollinate corn... 

No bees, this time around.  Only MONSTERS!!!  Well, I'm sure there will be lots of creepiness besides whatever their "monster of the week throwback" means, but they're definitely not getting into the alien mythology.  This time around.

I was mostly surprised with season 8 -- I expected to hate Robert Patrick's character, but I was pleasantly surprised (can't say the same for Annabelle Gish, though).  And I thought the way that season ended would've been a much better end for the series, especially when Duchovny popped back in.  Season 9, though, I almost absolutely loathed.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 08:19:28 PM
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by Robert Patrick, too. I was fully expecting to not like him, though, so he exceeded my expectations.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 01:30:29 AM

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by Robert Patrick, too. I was fully expecting to not like him, though, so he exceeded my expectations.

Hmmm... You're making me think that I should have given him a chance; I never did...

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 01:36:51 PM

Hmmm... You're making me think that I should have given him a chance; I never did...

I felt the same way about Robert Patrick.  He and his character were a pleasant surprise.  Mimi Roger's character, on the other hand, didn't do  much for me.  I haven't seen much of Mimi (the former Mrs. Tom Cruise) lately, either.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 04:10:50 PM

I felt the same way about Robert Patrick.  He and his character were a pleasant surprise.  Mimi Roger's character, on the other hand, didn't do  much for me.  I haven't seen much of Mimi (the former Mrs. Tom Cruise) lately, either.

Do you mean Mimi Rodgers (Agent Fowley, season 6-ish, I think) or Annabeth Gish (Agent Reyes, seasons 8-9)?  Because I think we were supposed to not really care much for Fowley.  OTOH, Reyes was supposed to be the "True believer" to Dogget's "Doubter" and I just never really bought it.