Author Topic: PC Miniature 90: How To Survive In Room 105  (Read 5276 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: September 10, 2016, 04:25:17 PM
PodCastle Miniature 90: How To Survive In Room 105

by T. Jane Berry

read by Jen R. Albert

This is a PodCastle Original!

Principal Freezarro announced that you’re substitute teaching in my kindergarten class for the next few weeks. I’m so excited! I’ve seen your work with the Vindicators, and just to let you know, I think it’s ridiculous that you were sentenced to six months of community service over the bridge incident. Who expects you to save the city from an army of wood chipper-earthworm hybrids and not take out a few historic landmarks? As we say in room 105, “You get what you get and you don’t get upset.” And please, please don’t let them get upset.

Click here to continue reading.

Rated G.

T. Jane Berry has held various jobs, including IT manager, political blogger, bakery owner, and a disastrous two weeks as line worker in a razor blade factory. She now writes science fiction, fantasy, and horror from the outskirts of Seattle with considerably fewer on-the-job injuries. Her fiction has appeared in Clowns: The Unlikely Coulrophobia Remix. You can find her on Twitter @tjaneberry.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

hwaffle

• Lochage
    • Find me online
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 05:16:30 PM
This was adorable! I even felt an urge to listen to it again after.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 06:09:45 AM
Middle school teacher here, and yes, they can smell fear.

This is why I work with 11-14 year olds, not 5 year olds. *Shudder*.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 02:17:09 AM
Loved it! Great fun.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 12:27:49 PM
Cute. Really enjoyed this.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 11:41:53 PM
This was a ton of fun!

Myst

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 10:38:56 PM
Yes! this is exactly what superkindergarden would be like!

This might actually be considered cruel and unusual punishment under the eight amendment though..If I was Hexgirl I would totally be talking to a lawyer. 

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 11:44:15 AM
Yes! this is exactly what superkindergarden would be like!

This might actually be considered cruel and unusual punishment under the eight amendment though..If I was Hexgirl I would totally be talking to a lawyer. 

It was Hexgirl's choice, that's what makes it so great!

Quote from: story
...I’m so glad you have chosen Lusus Naturae Elementary School for your community service hours.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 02:58:00 PM
This was super fun!  I laughed a lot throughout.

I felt like this was a kindred story to my "So You've Decided to Adopt a Zeptonian Baby!" but with a focus on Kindergartners instead of toddlers (and with more varied powers instead of just super strength and imperviousness).  As my kid had inspired the first one, and he is between toddler and Kindergarten, this one hit me at just the right time too.

NoMeDigas

• Extern
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 12:02:17 PM
I teach at a pre-school and I'm pretty sure the girl who cries acid tears when she doesn't get more clay than everyone else is one of our students. I say this without malice - in her four-year-old thinking, fair is when she does whatever she wants, and being asked to share is completely unreasonable. This is why she has teachers, family, etc to help her learn. Fortunately, we are all pretty immune to acid tears.

BionicValkyrie

• Extern
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 08:02:06 PM
Sending this to my sister, who just retired after many years of teaching music to elementary and junior high kids. I think she'll like it even more than I did.

Kristin
"I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 02:08:22 AM
I felt like this was a kindred story to my "So You've Decided to Adopt a Zeptonian Baby!" but with a focus on Kindergartners instead of toddlers (and with more varied powers instead of just super strength and imperviousness).

Ha! This was great, and I was thinking of your story while listening too! That, and The Incredibles. "Mrs. Parr?? Everything's okay, but things are getting pretty weird around here!" :D