Author Topic: CoW Ep. 213: Beneath the Loveliest Tints of Azure  (Read 3175 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: September 21, 2016, 11:30:19 AM
Episode 213: Beneath the Loveliest Tints of Azure by Jeff Samson

(Edit to add note: We had numbered this as 228, but it should have been 213. We apologize for any inconvenience!)

• Narrated by Elie Hirschman
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
• Originally published in Lore Vol. 2 (November 30, 2013)

Jeff Samson brews Irish stout when he’s not writing science fiction and occasionally drinks it when he is. His work can be found in numerous publications, including Nature Magazine, Lore and Perihelion. This is his third story to appear in Cast of Wonders; check the show notes for a link to his previous episodes. Jeff lives in New Jersey with his wife and children, and no cats.

Elie Hirschman has been involved in audio drama since 2004, with a variety of companies and podcasts, with roles as chief engineers, killer clowns and talking crows. He says his greatest achievement is to have worked with Alasdair Stuart, the delightful head of the EA empire. It doesn’t get better than that. Follow him on Twitter and at his website.

“You sure picked a hell of a day to start.”
The guard stared up at Ted with a look somewhere between aggravation and indifference. He slouched over his desk, his belly spilling over a portion of its tidy surface. His chair creaked in protest as he swiveled lazily.
“I’m sorry?” Ted said, deepening his voice to match the guard’s husky bass.

Click here to read the text of the story
Click here to listen to Episode 213

Tags: Cast of Wonders, Elie Hirschman, history, imagination, imprisonment, Jeff Samson, Jeremy Carter, literature, ocean, punishment, regret, sea creatures, Young Adult fiction
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:42:04 PM by danooli »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 02:14:57 PM
Was it intentional to skip ahead 16 episode numbers?  From 212 to 228?

(I haven't listened to the story yet!  I will comment further when I have)

danooli

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:24:08 AM

Yes, that was intentional! We have obviously run a bit behind and have plans to fill in the episodes with the stories we planned. (Marguerite mentions this in the intro and I should have put a note in the post! :) )

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 06:07:40 PM
I thought this was interesting.  I'm not sure I recognized any of the references besides Moby Dick, though the Moby Dick one was clear enough that I assumed from that that the others were literary figures too.

But what i wasn't sure about was... what exactly is this prison for?  Why are the literary figures real?  Why are they locked up?  Why are both the aggressors and the victims locked up together and what's the point of letting them out one by one?  Why do they have special writing powers?  If their writing in any medium has such effect, why can't they, say, bite their cheek and write in blood?  Why would Ishamael's writing have any power, as he's not known for being a writer?  Or was he also supposed to be Herman Melville? 

danooli

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 12:42:47 PM

ANNNND....we reverted back to not skipping episode numbers.

Mouseneb

• Palmer
    • 差得远
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 01:59:29 AM
Sorry, catching up on a long backlog and just listened to this. Seemed to me that it was NOT the protagonists of the stories locked with the monsters. It was the authors of the stories locked with their most devastating creations. That's why they can't be allowed writing implements of any kind. Ishmael is the skeleton with the peg leg on the whale's back. The old man visiting the whale is Herman Melville.

Every day is an adventure.