Author Topic: PseudoPod 600: The Graveyard Rats  (Read 2672 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: June 23, 2018, 03:02:27 AM
PseudoPod 600: The Graveyard Rats

by Henry Kuttner
Narrated by Robert C. Eccles
Hosted by Alasdair Stuart

“The Graveyard Rats” was first published in Weird Tales, March 1936.

Old Masson, the caretaker of one of Salem’s oldest and most neglected cemeteries, had a feud with the rats. Generations ago they had come up from the wharves and settled in the graveyard, a colony of abnormally large rats, and when Masson had taken charge after the inexplicable disappearance of the former caretaker, he decided that they must go. At first he set traps for them and put poisoned food by their burrows, and later he tried to shoot them, but it did no good. The rats stayed, multiplying and overrunning the graveyard with their ravenous hordes.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:11:12 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 02:55:05 AM
We are currently aware of an audio glitch at the end of the story and are working to fix it.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 10:38:28 PM
Shiver... this is why I love horror: because I can be with the protagonist in his claustrophobic nightmare, but also be safe at home. I can totally see this being retold as a modern-day creepypasta on the NoSleep reddit!

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 02:12:20 AM
I like a lot of the old and old-fashioned horror stories, but this one didn't do anything for me. It didn't feel like there was anything there beyond the unsavory surface. Oh well, there's always next week!

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 12:54:03 AM
Yep, this episode ticked all the buttons that I liked. It even had a happy ending... for the rats.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 02:36:44 AM
The perfect accompaniment for this episode. Wish I had thought of this sooner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqWECQz-GY

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 02:54:12 AM

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 02:11:14 PM
A classic Weird Tales story. I first read this one in an old collection called 65 Great Spine Chillers.

Would the story be better if the grave digger hadn't also been a grave robber? More horrifying, but maybe less satisfying.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 04:48:51 PM by Marlboro »